All Era's Heavy Weight Best Jabs

Uncle Termite

The X Factor
Banned
Reaction score
Who had the BEST jab if you really ranked them ,who could throw a better jab with more power ,accuracy and effectiveness all in one with consistancy or a enough evidance to make that claim?

TopTen .......

1/ Wlad Klitchko
2/ Larry Holmes
3/ Lennox Lewis
4/ Buster Douglas
5/ George Foreman
6/ Muhammed Ali
7/ Mike Tyson
8/ Vitali Klitchko
9/ Kubrat Pulev
10 / Riddick Bowe

Last edited:
Who had the BEST jab if you really ranked them ,who could throw a better jab with more power ,accuracy and effectiveness all in one with consistancy or a enough evidance to make that claim?

TopTen .......

1/ Wlad Klitchko
2/ Larry Holmes
3/ Lennox Lewis
4/ Buster Douglas
5/ George Foreman
6/ Muhammed Ali
7/ Mike Tyson
8/ Vitali Klitchko
9/ Kubrat Pulev
10 / Riddick Bowe
Good question that's a tough one. Might be bias but I'd say Holmes.

Tyson in top ten for his jab?

Interesting.

I would replace Tyson with someone like Liston, Pinklon, Louis

Vitali could be higher. Have you actually paid attention the angle he Jabs? How in the world is he not straining his shoulder. Nuts!

Wlad definitely has the best jab ins history like damn, knocking Povetkin down with it lol

Holyfield's jab was under-rated, & is under-rated in the list.

His quick double or triple-jab, combined with lateral movement & stepping in behind it, allowed him to outjab Bowe (second fight) & Lewis (second fight).

Not "all-time teh bestest jabb evah11!" quality really, but when people are mentioning Tyson's jab & Pulev's jab yet leaving out the likes of Liston's, I felt it bore saying, if only in explaining Holy's relative success against ATG behemoths (a lot of dudes on this list, their jabs might've looked impressive, but they never employed it in a strategic or tactical fashion to beat a truly elite opponent).

An instance of this latter phenomenon would be Vitali's jab, which never really seemed to bother old, fat Lewis other than in its sheer length (LL dropped right hands over the top of it & countered it with left hooks; it was Vit Klit's size, durability, youth & workrate that meant he gave Lewis trouble that night, not anything technical the big guy did).

Tyson in top ten for his jab?

Interesting.

I would replace Tyson with someone like Liston, Pinklon, Louis
The jab was such an overlooked aspect of the arsenal of the peak Mike Tyson. He was never out jabbed and when used it was direct and powerful he out jabbed Tyrell Biggs,Tucker,Pinklon and Holmes, everyone . Many would assumed his jab fairly average this is false. In fact, the opposite was true. Mike Tyson would regularly out jab his opponents and even knocked Ruddock down with one. To the better boxing eye one who studies it like myself is why hes on this list.

Holyfield's jab was under-rated, & is under-rated in the list.

His quick double or triple-jab, combined with lateral movement & stepping in behind it, allowed him to outjab Bowe (second fight) & Lewis (second fight).

Not "all-time teh bestest jabb evah11!" quality really, but when people are mentioning Tyson's jab & Pulev's jab yet leaving out the likes of Liston's, I felt it bore saying, if only in explaining Holy's relative success against ATG behemoths (a lot of dudes on this list, their jabs might've looked impressive, but they never employed it in a strategic or tactical fashion to beat a truly elite opponent).

An instance of this latter phenomenon would be Vitali's jab, which never really seemed to bother old, fat Lewis other than in its sheer length (LL dropped right hands over the top of it & countered it with left hooks; it was Vit Klit's size, durability, youth & workrate that meant he gave Lewis trouble that night, not anything technical the big guy did).
Im not going on double jabbing or triple jabbing ,im going jab for jab...Listons jab was not very accurate and lunged with it against much smaller guys,wasnt very fast snapping it out e either.

Im not going on double jabbing or triple jabbing ,im going jab for jab...Listons jab was not very accurate and lunged with it against much smaller guys,wasnt very fast snapping it out e either.

Yah, & it is my contention that a jab's effectiveness must be rated by other factors than how fast it comes out.

For instance, even if by your stated criteria you think Vitali had a great jab, he flicked it from the hip & it returned there after use; usually (like most of his punches) there was very little bodyweight behind it. If he wasn't eighteen stone & 6'7"+, that jab would get him countered via an overhand right every single time.

So, again, I say that you cannot divorce the "greatness" of a jab from its employment, the tactical & strategic ends to which it was put. A 6'8" guy scoring with a jab, usually against guys without the technical tools or simply too fat to get out the way or do anything about it? Okay. A 6'2" dude with short arms outjabbing behemoths (ATG behemoths, come to that)? Indeed, ATG behemoths noted for their jabs?!?? Far more impressive, IMO.

Unless we're talking about "fastest jabs", which as you called the thread "best jabs", I assumed we weren't. I contend that there is more to a great jab than the speed it goes out (most obviously, there's the speed that it comes back...).

Yah, & it is my contention that a jab's effectiveness must be rated by other factors than how fast it comes out.

For instance, even if by your stated criteria you think Vitali had a great jab, he flicked it from the hip & it returned there after use; usually (like most of his punches) there was very little bodyweight behind it. If he wasn't eighteen stone & 6'7"+, that jab would get him countered via an overhand right every single time.

So, again, I say that you cannot divorce the "greatness" of a jab from its employment, the tactical & strategic ends to which it was put. A 6'8" guy scoring with a jab, usually against guys without the technical tools or simply too fat to get out the way or do anything about it? Okay. A 6'2" dude with short arms outjabbing behemoths (ATG behemoths, come to that)? Indeed, ATG behemoths noted for their jabs?!?? Far more impressive, IMO.

Unless we're talking about "fastest jabs", which as you called the thread "best jabs", I assumed we weren't. I contend that there is more to a great jab than the speed it goes out (most obviously, there's the speed that it comes back...).

If I take Vitali out ,then Ali goes as well...same technique and placement where punch is being thrown. The difference is Vitali is heavy handed so he doesn't need to move shoulder forward over as much or lean forward. His jab was very effective and hard to see cominge wasn't the slow giant you think he was,ask Briggs. Being 6'7 is an advantage thats not really relevant here,Alis 6'3 height was an advantage as well with shorter guys....Vitali was rarely hit because he had length and superior reflexs .Ali had the better technical jab yes, but not that much different and Vitali was actually more accurate.

You also stated Vitalis jab didn't bother Lewis and would be false.Thats what kept Lewis off balance the whole time he used it .

Last edited:
Vitali could be higher. Have you actually paid attention the angle he Jabs? How in the world is he not straining his shoulder. Nuts!

Wlad definitely has the best jab ins history like damn, knocking Povetkin down with it lol
He did have shoulder problems,it was effective but probably shortened his physical abilities after 2004.

I'll give it a shot:
1. Wladamir Klitshko
2. Larry Holmes
3. Mohamed Ali
4. Sonny Liston
5. Lennox Lewis
6. Gene Tunney
7. Vitali Klitshko
8. Old George Foreman
9. Ezzard Charles
10. Floyd Patterson

(Really looking only at champion level fighters....doesn't seem right to have the Bruce Seldons of boxing history on here)

Going past the obvious choices, Bruce Seldon had a really good jab. Ken Norton's jab gave both Ali and Holmes plenty of trouble. Tubbs outjabbed Bowe pretty convincingly when they fought. Pinklon Thomas had a nice jab. Carl Williams jabbed on at least even terms with Larry Holmes.

I do appreciate the sheer fuckery of putting Pulev on that list and omitting the likes of Liston and Louis. Classic Termite, right there.

Going past the obvious choices, Bruce Seldon had a really good jab. Ken Norton's jab gave both Ali and Holmes plenty of trouble. Tubbs outjabbed Bowe pretty convincingly when they fought. Pinklon Thomas had a nice jab. Carl Williams jabbed on at least even terms with Larry Holmes.

I do appreciate the sheer fuckery of putting Pulev on that list and omitting the likes of Liston and Louis. Classic Termite, right there.
Zorra Folleys jab gave Ali a bit of trouble too as did anyone like even Foster a light heavy weight ,even Hearns lit Ali up in sparring even though later in his career . Ali did not block well or avoid punches as good with guys who through basic straight jabs which why he had trouble with boxer jabbers ......thats not the topic . I f you knew what constitutes a good jab or better one over my list you would know why Liston and Louis arent on it . If i were to replace Pulev it would be with Tubbs or Pinklon ......

Williams on par with Holmes jab ? lol Yet i put a very good jabber SIMILAR to Holmes in Pulev same straight up base as he throws it to and you find it outlandish?And question why Louis jab isnt on here , a slow pawing jab which for the most part was use to measure his opponents or get them at an angle for his right hand ! haha

Last edited:
Back