Multiplatform Aliens: Dark Descent

Been playing a bit. Most annoying thing to say is the tutorial. Man its stupid long and really irritating.

the voice acting is very very meh, don't expect AAA performance.

Other then that, its a really good game. Take some time getting use to.

Also the pause combat is really interesting, but the aliens have the ability to go around it...its a pain in the ass.

Also the pause combat is really interesting, but the aliens have the ability to go around it...its a pain in the ass.

So if I pause the combat to think about what to do next the Aliens can just ignore that pause?

If there's anyone in here that's played this game and XCom, how do they compare? I love me some XCom and this looks fun but I'm hearing it has some rough edges. If it's similar I may give it a try anyways.

If there's anyone in here that's played this game and XCom, how do they compare? I love me some XCom and this looks fun but I'm hearing it has some rough edges. If it's similar I may give it a try anyways.
That's what I'd like to know.

Watched some gameplay and I love Aliens, so it's sad to see them so small.

Its not turnbase, its more or less slow down time an press actions.

That's what I'd like to know.

Watched some gameplay and I love Aliens, so it's sad to see them so small.

Haven't played it myself, yet, but from what I've seen it has 'similar/inspired' base building, upgrading of facilities, R&D of technology, leveling up of soldiers, different soldier classes, & load-outs of soldiers to X-Com2.

There's also perma-death of soldiers & soldiers having to be in the med-bay for a while before being able to be taken on missions again.

Also soldiers can develop negative traits from being too stressed by seeing too much action.

I've played X-Com2 three times, but have only seen gameplay vids of Aliens Dark Ascent. So @GhostZ06 could add similarities, or clarify what I may have got wrong.

Liking it a lot so far but it has been freezing (Series X) I got about two hours in today with no issues though so hopefully that is behind me.

Its not turnbase, its more or less slow down time an press actions.
Yeah, this is the main difference. Between missions it's similar to XCOM in that you perform research and manage your soldiers/equipment, but the actual missions themselves are nothing like XCOM for a bunch of reasons:
- The gameplay is real-time, not turn-based (time slows down a great deal when selecting special abilities, and in the Options menu you can even change this behavior so that the game completely pauses rather than slowing down)
- You control your entire squad as a single, cohesive unit, rather than giving orders to individual soldiers
- Combat is meant to be AVOIDED in many cases, as you have seriously limited resources and combat induces stress, which in turn can result in your soldiers suffering huge stat penalties
- Each mission is a persistent, nonlinear level where you have a whole bunch of objectives you must try and achieve; you'll often run so low on health/resources though, and start encountering so much resistance, you'll need to fall back to your HQ and rest before returning to wrap things up.

To me it's like a stealth/survival horror squad-based RTS with some XCOM management between missions. I've honestly never played anything quite like it before. I will also say this: it is hard and unforgiving as hell. There's even a disclaimer at the start of the game that basically tells you "This game is really tough. Pay close attention to everything we teach you in the tutorials." I've already to had to reload saves more times than I can count because half or more of my squad got annihilated. Oh, and of course there's also permadeath.

I've been playing it a bit and I'm really enjoying it. The stress and swarm mechanics add a whole other dynamic to this type of game. You cant just wail on enemies and try to clear out a level, every time you get in combat the guys get a bit more stressed and eventually you end up with permanent debuffs. Similarly you cant just go around killing aliens or the whole hive will come after your ass and that's no fun at all. You can always extract after you've ticked off a couple of objectives, but the problem with doing that is then you lose a day and the hive gets stronger. Resting is good but it takes resources that you dont have very many of so you can't just do it after every encounter.

it's a really good game and I think it captures the anxiety and tension of the movie well, because you're trying to keep everyone alive and they are not making it easy for you.

I've been playing it a bit and I'm really enjoying it. The stress and swarm mechanics add a whole other dynamic to this type of game. You cant just wail on enemies and try to clear out a level, every time you get in combat the guys get a bit more stressed and eventually you end up with permanent debuffs. Similarly you cant just go around killing aliens or the whole hive will come after your ass and that's no fun at all. You can always extract after you've ticked off a couple of objectives, but the problem with doing that is then you lose a day and the hive gets stronger. Resting is good but it takes resources that you dont have very many of so you can't just do it after every encounter.

it's a really good game and I think it captures the anxiety and tension of the movie well, because you're trying to keep everyone alive and they are not making it easy for you.
Once you realize it's more of a resource management game than an action combat game it really starts to become tense and a lot of fun. The more I play the more im liking it. I feel like it would be a better experience on PC with a mouse though. I hate having a cursor with a controller.

yeah i'm playing on PC and i wouldn't want to be using a controller for it.

i must have reloaded a save 20 times last night trying to clear this one spot in the mine. Everything i did ended up with swarm and squad wipe. Took me so long to get through, it's a good challenging game.

yeah i'm playing on PC and i wouldn't want to be using a controller for it.

i must have reloaded a save 20 times last night trying to clear this one spot in the mine. Everything i did ended up with swarm and squad wipe. Took me so long to get through, it's a good challenging game.
It has to be the hardest "story" difficulty game I've ever played.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to place the turrets. They don't plant and when they do they're always facing the wrong direction. It's beyond frustrating.

Last edited:
How are you guys finding the bugs? I keep seeing a bunch of broken quests, even with the latest update.

How are you guys finding the bugs? I keep seeing a bunch of broken quests, even with the latest update.
I haven't noticed any since the first level.

I thought my inventory was bugged because I couldn't loot crates because "inventory full" when it wasn't but I guess it does that when you're full of whatever is in the crate even though it doesn't tell you what it is.

only one i get is the drop ship sometimes is invisible in the cut scene where it leaves the otago.

Just jumped into this late...

I'm really liking it. Took a bit to get used to. Was engaging too much at first and just attracting too much attention from the Aliens. Ended up with almost no ammo and a squad full of soldiers with massive PTSD.

Just jumped into this late...

I'm really liking it. Took a bit to get used to. Was engaging too much at first and just attracting too much attention from the Aliens. Ended up with almost no ammo and a squad full of soldiers with massive PTSD.

I'm playing through it for the first time as well, and somethings are not explained properly, like how to lower your soldiers anxiety levels during the gameplay, and having to keep them in the mental healty clinic in-between missions.

I'm near the end of the game and I wish I had figured out I need two entire squads at the very beginning of the game, rather than wait for my entire squad to heal before going on a new mission.

My biggest complaint has been the save system is amazingly inconsistent. There was one mission with constant action and I got overwhelmed and had to reload my last save.... to discover it was 25 minutes ago. Complete bullshit.

On the positive side, this is exactly what I would have wanted a Aliens/X-Com hybrid to be. It absolutely nails the atmosphere of Aliens within a videogame, which so many prior attempts has failed to do. Its certainly longer than I expected, upwards of 30 hours so far and I heard it supposedly is 20, and the 'Medium' difficulty is definitely the sweet spot... not too easy, and not making you throw the controller.

Just finished it.... and.... the final mission didn't even feel like a final mission.

I had 12 days left on the countdown, and with the progression of the size and difficulty of levels I thought I still had a few missions to go.

I was looking forward to extravagantly extensive & tough final levels, with multiple Queens to take on, and... well... perhaps something that was similar or at least on par with the movie Aliens. Possibly with the main character, Maiko Hays, getting captured by Xenomorphs and you got to lead a timed mission to get her back before she's facehuggered and before the nukes drop.

Instead, Maiko, some other character that was in one or two cutscenes, and Harper go on a short mission at the tail end of what I thought to be a normal mission to get Harper's daughter Cassandra... and for the life of me I can't remember why she's important other than she's Harper's daughter, and she's not even included in the game's ending.

Throughout the game the story was pretty weak, but for some reason I expected it to end strongly, and it didn't.

The sad fact is this game had alot of potential, but I bet alot of things went 'meh' with it to make me conclude they knew the $40 pricetag was a way to stifle criticism. But if they had worked on the game's graphics (so the cutscenes don't look like they're on the PS1), gave us a story worthy of the Aliens legacy, and had the mission progression build up to a worthy finale... this very much could have been a full-price game and sold significantly better.

BTW, I can't find anything regarding the sales or if there's any plans for a sequel. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a one-off.

Back