ALIEN: COVENANT Thread v.2 (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen ALIEN: COVENANT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Just watched it, and it's a decent film. Nothing special, but will keep you entertained for 2 hours.

My main issue is that this film throws up the previous established history of the xenomorph out the window. Read below:

In this movie, David was the one that created the xenomorphs from his twisted experiments. The problem is in the Alien vs Predator universe, the Predator race has been implanting humans with facehuggers for thousands of years in order to create xenomorphs for trophy hunting. There is clearly a conflict of timeline here.

Also, Peter Weyland was the creator of Weyland Corp in Prometheus. In AvP, Aliens and Alien 3, Charles Bishop Weyland was the founder of Weyland Industries.

I don't know how they're going to reconcile the timelines of the xenomorphs between the AvP and Alien universe.
You think Ridley Scott gives one single fuck about Aliens vs Predator? <45>

Spoilers ahead:

When the fuck did David become space Hitler? In Prometheus he's a logical machine with no emotions, in Covenant he's a Bond villain with deep daddy issues.

Up until Prometheus he was still bound to be loyal to Weyland. After his death, his emotion chip was free to run amok.

Walter actually has to explain that they don't put those in androids anymore. The official story is that their behavior freaked people out, but it's likely they realized that generation of androids tended to go insane.

My main issue is that this film throws up the previous established history of the xenomorph out the window. Read below:

In this movie, David was the one that created the xenomorphs from his twisted experiments. The problem is in the Alien vs Predator universe, the Predator race has been implanting humans with facehuggers for thousands of years in order to create xenomorphs for trophy hunting. There is clearly a conflict of timeline here.

Also, Peter Weyland was the creator of Weyland Corp in Prometheus. In AvP, Aliens and Alien 3, Charles Bishop Weyland was the founder of Weyland Industries.

I don't know how they're going to reconcile the timelines of the xenomorphs between the AvP and Alien universe.

Scott doesn't give a single fuck about any other movie in the franchise.

I've even heard that if they'd let him he would even retcon Aliens out of existence.

Up until Prometheus he was still bound to be loyal to Weyland. After his death, his emotion chip was free to run amok.

Walter actually has to explain that they don't put those in androids anymore. The official story is that their behavior freaked people out, but it's likely they realized that generation of androids tended to go insane.

Ok, thinking about it a bit more David kinda sorta has more logic behind his actions...I guess.

Scott doesn't give a single fuck about any other movie in the franchise.

I've even heard that if they'd let him he would even retcon Aliens out of existence.
Judging by how horribly he is raping the entire franchise with these prequels, it's a safe bet to throw out any continuity or canonical connection to any and all previous movies, Prometheus included.

edit:
Oh shit, one more thing...the black goo David used to genocide the planet mutates all life form into xenomorph-esque beings, right? Why isn't there an entire planet's worth of different mutations on that planet? Why do we see only the blind albino xenos?

Last edited by a moderator:
edit:
Oh shit, one more thing...the black goo David used to genocide the planet mutates all life form into xenomorph-esque beings, right? Why isn't there an entire planet's worth of different mutations on that planet? Why do we see only the blind albino xenos?

I can think of a few options.
  • It's a big planet. Since there were no living things in the immediate vicinity of the city they ranged out looking for things to kill.
  • They all starved to death. The creatures are clearly carnivorous and all non-plant live in the planet is dead.
  • They all turned on each other and killed each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
of course he doesn't like the idea its cause he didn't come up with it

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I realize Ridley is a great visual mind, but a kinda shitty storyteller. He's as good as the script - which he has control over.

Saw it last night. I dont feel like putting up spoiler tags on a phone so ill be brief.

I dont know how i feel about it. I dont know if i like the explanation of the xenomorph origin.

Yeah, there wasnt enough of the alien and i have to say, the cgi looked cartoonish. When it comes to special effects, it wasnt as impressive as the sets, the space travel, the weather, etc. The david and Walter scenes seemed placed in just to show the same actor on screen making us say "wow, howd they do that?" Jesus, cmon....then their 'dance.'

The story is more grounded thab Prometheus, sure, but scott needs to fucking stop. I wish Cameron woukd abandon that tired avatar shit and save this. Hed never do it, but damn, this needs.him.

Bloomkamp or whatever, is our last hope.

I initially walked out of this movie feeling underwhelmed but thinking it was an ok installment in the alien franchise. To compare it to promotheus i was initially more impressed with prometheus than covenant. I think prometheus had more stunning visual effects and a stronger lead character.

covenant had some good action and the final alien sequence looked like what they spent their money on because the aliens early on in the film looked pretty bad.

after walking out thinking that the movie was ok. i started to really think about what i saw and came to the realization that many things didnt make sense. Breaking down the movie with my friend, i dropped my score from a 7 to a 4.

I could of maybe kept this score if this was a stand alone movie about a alien/monster, but the fact that this was tied to a franchise, and that this might have been the worst installment in the franchise...a score of 4 is being generous.

Many plot holes in this film

1.One of the glaring annoyances that i havent seen to many talk about is davids new robot body. The first thing that annoys me about this is people seem to forget that david is not liked by shaw at the end of the movie. Shaw knows what david did to the crew and what he tried to do to her. all she needed from him was the coordinates to the creators planet.why would she create a body for him? or how would david be able to replace his body himself when the creators did not deal in making androids. This to me was very bad writing that did not make sense and a cop out to not have shaw interact with the creators.

2.Killing the whole race on this planet seemed very strange. It initially directed my attention to how evil david has become and i thought that was a cool move for a villain but then i thought why do that. It just didnt make sense. You want to kill a whole species that you know nothing about. You dont know where their information is or why they created us. This was a big question at the end of prometheus. The movie literally ended with shaw wanting to find out, telling the audience, foreshadowing that is something that we would be able to explore and to expect. Killing of the people was a cop out.

I do not care that the people died, only that the way it was done seemed cheap and very dumb. You could have shown that david learned the ways of these people and then betrayed them. this leads to a new annoyance.

3.David creating the eggs is not so much of an annoyance perse but the way the other factors were handled makes this twist not as cool as it could have been. again all the creators are dead. how would david know where to go or where to find information. it makes sense on prometheus because they refer to that planet as a military base. that information would make sense being there. we know nothing of this planet because they killed them off instantly. I didnt see any technology for david to experiment on.

the alien in prometheus came about because of the big star fish impregnated the creator. if david just dropped all the black ooze on them then there were wouldnt be any aliens for him to experiment on.

4. in one of the rooms in prometheus there is art on the wall of what appears to be a queen. If david created them how the fuck do the creators already know about the queen?

5. by having all these events occur, ridley scott ruins his own alien franchise with plot holes. The original alien movie has a creator with pods already. so if david created them and david killed all the people how does a creator get the pods.

or if that happened in the past then david creating them doesnt make sense

After all this ive officially lost any excitement for ridleys alien movies. Either hes old and has lost his touch or what i believe to be true is that he cant seem to formulate a good story or pay attention to detail.

This movie is so bad it has affected my anticipation for the new blade runner. ridley needs to hang it up

4/10

Ok, thinking about it a bit more David kinda sorta has more logic behind his actions...I guess.

Judging by how horribly he is raping the entire franchise with these prequels, it's a safe bet to throw out any continuity or canonical connection to any and all previous movies, Prometheus included.

edit:

Going by prometheus the black goo should not turn anyone in xenos. it wasnt until the big star fish impregnated the creator that we saw a alien creature. This does not make sense in covenant

One word 'stupid'

No explanations as to wtf David was doing ? And who the fuck were all those people he killed? I need to wipe my bum now.

I know right? Especially when Weyland Industries supposedly developed technologies that allows bullet to travel at 3 times the velocity and double the precision according to the lore.

Another plot hole is why are they landing on a planet without a full bio suit? The atmosphere is breathable sure, but you don't know what sorts of pathogens, bacteria and viruses are on an alien planet.

as soon as they landed in the water i thought of this. oh so you know what type of water animals they have. we have fucking piranhas here on earth but im just gonna jump in like nothing.

I got a question if anyone can help me out

Why dont the aliens attack david? He says something about them not being attracted to synthetics but Bishops gets his ass kicked by the Queen in Aliens...

Bro, dont hurt your brain using common sense on this. why is there a queen on the wall in prometheus if david created them?

about your earlier comment on the 2000 passengers. I thought to myself , this flight couldnt of been cheap and they paid to go to a certain place they already investigated but hey lets stray off course because of a blurry video. shit just doesnt make sense

Not sure how david had a new body made... Shaw had parts laying around a ship shes never flown,.to a world shell never see.

Going by prometheus the black goo should not turn anyone in xenos. it wasnt until the big star fish impregnated the creator that we saw a alien creature. This does not make sense in covenant

Who knows what david has done with rhe goo during his flight to this planet. All it appeared to do was burn them. When it came to spreading xenos, i didnt see any coming out of the locals. If there were, im sure it would be in our faces. The ONLY time i thought there may had been more was when one of the ?soldiers? said "theres another one!" during the battle in the wheat.

What bothered me the most was the last alien. That entire scene was unnecessary. 'Walter' helping out in that scene REALLY fucked it up. Its as if his help was the sole reason why that scene was in there. Sorry scott, didnt fool me.

Ridley mentioned in a commentary (I think Prometheus) that he shoots scenes even when the crew tells him it doesn't make sense. He pretty much said "Just shoot the scene and don't ask questions."

He also talked about dumb shit characters do in his movie. He said "how do we know how there behavior isn't logical to them - this is a different universe/timeframe"

It sounds like he doesn't give a fuck with his movies making any sense. I think he's butt hurt with Aliens. In Aliens behind the scenes - Cameron somewhat talks crap on Alien saying the special effects sucked. It's like a 2.5 hour documentary but it's pretty good because it's not your typical Hollywood promotional piece. It's pretty honest.

Everyone is ignoring the biggest plot hole:
You can't get something from nothing. You can't put an egg or black spores in a host, have it hatch out hours later, be about 3 to 5 pounds, then have it be a full human sized creature in one day. It has to eat and grow and .. well... you get the idea.

I've been avoiding everything Alien related in the media so this movie wouldn't be spoiled. Haven't even seen a trailer (I close my eyes and ears during the trailer in theaters). The synopsis gives so much away from after prometheus. I have a feeling I'm still going to love it.

Hell, I like Alien 3.

Back