ALIEN: COVENANT Thread v.2 (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen ALIEN: COVENANT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I....liked it? I enjoyed it a lot but.. I dunno. The third act seemed a little rushed.

Amazing. I was surprised at how well it turned out. The cast were good, Michael Fassbender stole the show as always, the suspense and violence were on point. Excellent movie.

Is it scary?

And is it loud?

Asking for an old friend.

Is it scary?

And is it loud?

Asking for an old friend.
At times, it's really suspenseful. The story is full of Hollywood tropes, but like anything Scott does, it's extremely well made. It is an easy movie to pick apart, but it's enjoyable.

The sound design was fantastic.

Went in with low expectations based on reading spoiler-free reviews, but was actually pleasantly surprised. Not as awful as a lot of the reviews I read made it out to be, but not great either.

Pros:
  • It's well made; the sound effects, direction, effects, music, etc are all top notch.
  • Fassbender is awesome in the movie. He stole the show in the scenes he was in, kind of like what he did in X-Men Apocalypse.
  • I like the concept of the movie, its execution is flawed though.
Cons:
  • Very predictable. If you've seen any horror movies from the past 30 years, there is absolutely nothing surprising happening in this movie. Even the 'twist' at the end was easy to spot from miles away.
  • The characters were all pretty generic. Aside from Fassbender's dual role, Daniels and Tennessee were the only ones that were memorable in any way, and Daniels is just playing Ripley-lite.
  • I felt like the Alien was almost an afterthought in this movie. It was threatening and menacing, but there were times you almost forget they're even an issue. Doesn't help that the characters are all equipped with assault rifles but just suck at shooting things.
  • Kind of minor thing, but doesn't it seem like the technology in this movie is way better than what they had in the old Alien movies? Even Walter, who's an android, seems like quite a monumental leap in technology compared to Ash from the first movie. It's kind of like the Star Wars prequels where the tech in those movies seemed light years ahead of what was in the original trilogy. Again, it's a minor thing, but a little more consistency would be nice.
I'd give it a 6. Definitely better than Alien: Resurrection, but not as good as the first 3. It's worth a watch if you're into the Alien movies.

Movie was OK. 6.5 or so. Some parts were excellent and cool. Some other scenes reeked of lazy and unimaginitive writing. Fassbender was really great. Other characters were Sci Fi channel movie level lame.

Better than Prometheus.

A soft 5 from me.

Why can't they get these movies right? Can't they come up with a good plot device to get characters separated/killed rather than just stupidity? It wasn't suspenseful or scary. I didn't care who/if anyone lived or died.

I give it a 5.8/10. I love the alien franchise and was very hyped for this, but I was at least slightly disappointed. I wasn't really drawn to any of the characters. Visually it was excellent. I'm not really sure I like that they are trying to explain the origin of the original films so much anymore, whereas I didn't really have a problem with it in Prometheus as much. I liked that in the original film it was just some super mysterious and dangerous alien, now there's all this background to the xenomorph.

it seemed slow at times, and not like building tension or engagement slow. David was talking a lot and his character is pretty irritating, he's not really menacing he's more annoying, and I love fassbender as an actor.

Also, they spent Prometheus hyping up the space jockeys, then David just nukes them like they're ants.

The fate of Shaw was also disappointing. She battled through all that stuff in Prometheus just to become a David experiment. Same kind of disappointment with Newt being killed off after Aliens in such a lame way.

Last edited:
When the fuck did David become space Hitler? In Prometheus he's a logical machine with no emotions, in Covenant he's a Bond villain with deep daddy issues.

There is actually an explanation for this and the first scene of covenant really slaps you in the face with why he is doing it

He wants to create the perfect lifeform. Engineers created Humans, Humans created David,...and so on

I see some people talking about how this movie is lacking on the actual Aliens

I dont agree with that

There is plenty of Alien kills

Just watched it, and it's a decent film. Nothing special, but will keep you entertained for 2 hours.

My main issue is that this film throws up the previous established history of the xenomorph out the window. Read below:

In this movie, David was the one that created the xenomorphs from his twisted experiments. The problem is in the Alien vs Predator universe, the Predator race has been implanting humans with facehuggers for thousands of years in order to create xenomorphs for trophy hunting. There is clearly a conflict of timeline here.

Also, Peter Weyland was the creator of Weyland Corp in Prometheus. In AvP, Aliens and Alien 3, Charles Bishop Weyland was the founder of Weyland Industries.

I don't know how they're going to reconcile the timelines of the xenomorphs between the AvP and Alien universe.

Just watched it, and it's a decent film. Nothing special, but will keep you entertained for 2 hours.

My main issue is that this film throws up the previous established history of the xenomorph out the window. Read below:

In this movie, David was the one that created the xenomorphs from his twisted experiments. The problem is in the Alien vs Predator universe, the Predator race has been implanting humans with facehuggers for thousands of years in order to create xenomorphs for trophy hunting. There is clearly a conflict of timeline here.

Also, Peter Weyland was the creator of Weyland Corp in Prometheus. In AvP, Aliens and Alien 3, Charles Bishop Weyland was the founder of Weyland Industries.

I don't know how they're going to reconcile the timelines of the xenomorphs between the AvP and Alien universe.

The spaceship they find in Alien with all the facehugger eggs is thousands of years old. No idea how they are going to explain that one without time travel

There is actually an explanation for this and the first scene of covenant really slaps you in the face with why he is doing it

He wants to create the perfect lifeform. Engineers created Humans, Humans created David,...and so on
Yeah, yeah... I get it, humans wanted to find out who created them and David wanted to create new life and basically play/become God. Still man, in the online prologue with Shaw and David he's already an evil Space Hitler and that's right after the events of Prometheus. Meaning even then he wanted to destroy and create in his own image.

The spaceship they find in Alien with all the facehugger eggs is thousands of years old. No idea how they are going to explain that one without time travel
Ridley Scott is a fucking hack and AvP doesn't exist in this timeline. Even though it would fix things immensely.

Went in with low expectations based on reading spoiler-free reviews, but was actually pleasantly surprised. Not as awful as a lot of the reviews I read made it out to be, but not great either.

Pros:
  • It's well made; the sound effects, direction, effects, music, etc are all top notch.
  • Fassbender is awesome in the movie. He stole the show in the scenes he was in, kind of like what he did in X-Men Apocalypse.
  • I like the concept of the movie, its execution is flawed though.
Cons:
  • Very predictable. If you've seen any horror movies from the past 30 years, there is absolutely nothing surprising happening in this movie. Even the 'twist' at the end was easy to spot from miles away.
  • The characters were all pretty generic. Aside from Fassbender's dual role, Daniels and Tennessee were the only ones that were memorable in any way, and Daniels is just playing Ripley-lite.
  • I felt like the Alien was almost an afterthought in this movie. It was threatening and menacing, but there were times you almost forget they're even an issue. Doesn't help that the characters are all equipped with assault rifles but just suck at shooting things.
  • Kind of minor thing, but doesn't it seem like the technology in this movie is way better than what they had in the old Alien movies? Even Walter, who's an android, seems like quite a monumental leap in technology compared to Ash from the first movie. It's kind of like the Star Wars prequels where the tech in those movies seemed light years ahead of what was in the original trilogy. Again, it's a minor thing, but a little more consistency would be nice.
I'd give it a 6. Definitely better than Alien: Resurrection, but not as good as the first 3. It's worth a watch if you're into the Alien movies.
In regards to technology, I don't get why they have pretty much the same weapons in the movie as we use now. You can colonize new planets but you're still using ARs from the early 21st Century?

In regards to technology, I don't get why they have pretty much the same weapons in the movie as we use now. You can colonize new planets but you're still using ARs from the early 21st Century?
I know right? Especially when Weyland Industries supposedly developed technologies that allows bullet to travel at 3 times the velocity and double the precision according to the lore.

Another plot hole is why are they landing on a planet without a full bio suit? The atmosphere is breathable sure, but you don't know what sorts of pathogens, bacteria and viruses are on an alien planet.

"Who doesn't wanna look inside an egg?" The evil robot explained to you the role of the egg and what it does a minute a go yet you still act gullible and stick your head above the egg. You know the more I think about this movie and try digging for answers the less I find. I'm leaving this alone for the sake of my sanity.

As for Scott's sequel, I just hope, I really really HOPE, that it isn't a repeat of the Prometheus and Covenant plotlines. Best thing I can come up with would be that more ships go colonizing Orgy-6 but they recieve a message from Walter saying "stay the fuck away from that shit" and they bring in an actual army(or something) to stop David's creations. Also, it would be nice if they brought back the Engenieers...somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Ridley doesn't give a shit bout the Avp movies. Also they were they first ones to fuck with the continuity

Back