Alexander Gustafsson vs. Ovince St. Preux in the works for UFC 227

You're either a trolljob, or you're really stupid. AJ absolutely rocked Gustafsson just prior to that point, which was all started with a fairly lucky punch. Prior to Gus getting rocked, neither fighter was clearly dominating the standup. All you showed is AJ finishing a fighter that was nearly out on his feet.

AJ is a beast and can finish anyone early, but he probably only stops Gus 3 or 4 out of 10 times -- the other fights Gus likely wins in the later rounds, due to better cardio.
A fairly lucky head butt you mean

Does anyone think Courmier fights Gustafsson this year if Gus wins this fight? I can’t see it happening

OSP better bring these in the cage

41U7dXRmQ5L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Gus takes so long between fights that they all end up being tune up fights. Give fighting twice a year a try mate.

I won't complain too much. It's a fight and LHW are in lack of top contenders.

With that said, isn't it a bit disappointing how the UFC couldn't find anyone better for Gus to fight?

He called out DC, Romero and Rockhold. All interesting fights. But this one they made is a little "meh" in comparison.

A fairly lucky head butt you mean

That's true. And I just re-watched the slow-mo of the headbutt after seeing your post, and it looks even worse than I remember it. Although the follow-up punches after the headbutt hurt Gustafsson even more. But definitely Gustafsson was either shook or rocked from the illegal headbutt, which contributed to him being easier to hit.

100% the person posting GNP finish from AJ is dumb, though. That's not indicative of how the fight went before the headbutt.

OSP is probably one argument for why UFC is dying.

....Guess OSP doesn't care about his winning streak.

A little surprising to see so many people acting like OSP is some bum. The guy is a solid fighter who hits hard and has some good submissions. I do favor Gustafsson, but OSP is still a threat and could absolutely win. I'd say it's 70/30 in favor of Alex though. Hopefully Gus puts on a great performance and gets a crack at the title next, whether it's against DC or someone else should DC stay at HW. DC did say on Helwani's new show that he would like to face either Brock or Jones after Stipe, and if that's the case I think he will relinquish the LHW belt.

Boring fight but Gustafsson should take it. Guy is one of the least active on the entire roster and besides the obvious need to shake off the ring rust, he surely needs to make more money.

Also, OSP would sadly be one of his best wins considering how bad his resume actually is when you take a look at it. The highlight of his career is 2 close losses at this point

Very narrow losses to the two best LHW ever. I'd say that's a pretty great achievement. Wins and losses aren't everything. Look at how he performed. He has shown he is right there on the level of both Jones and DC.

Back