AG Has he improved enough to be champ? Is he the only one with real chances of beating Jones and DC?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
First of all I´d like to say that Gustafsson sure looked great in his last fight, but how much do you guys think this eyepoke interfered in the outcome?
ImpossibleDopeyBats-size_restricted.gif
I think it interfered a lot. But again, he looked amazing and his striking was deadly.

Now back to the point: Jones and DC

Against DC: this knee was the closest to being finished Cormier has ever been in his mma career. Worse than Rumble's shot in their 1st fight. Worse than 5 rounds with Jones.
sGpFwmv.gif

But staying in the clinch eating uppercuts like a retard instead of keeping his distance and using his range wasn´t the smartest strategy... and it cost Gus the fight.
HideousRepentantGartersnake.gif

Against Jones: the champ was losing a close fight before he landed that perfectly well timed elbow.
Jone-Jones-FOT-Alexander-Gustafsson.gif
bones-spinning-slbow.gif

But now after Jon's "disappointing" last performance, some people feel Gustafsson (who's been active) has made more improvements than Jon (who's been out) and would outstrike him in a rematch.
giphy.gif

So the question is, do you feel Gustafsson has improved enough to be the LHW champ? Is he the only one at LHW with real chances of beating Jones and DC?

Thoughts?

I'm going to wait to see how Jones looks. Gus has a good style for Jon. Jones took the first fight 4-1 IMO.

I think not hearing "And newwwwww" took a part of his soul. Maybe not the whole thing. It at least had its innocence violated.

Jones will get fucked up if alex boxes him the way he did texeira

his defense is still non-existent
maybe he could piece jonathan up, we'll know for sure after ufc 214

Gus just doesn't seem to have that intangible that allows champs to find a way to win. For some reason, I always think of Cormier's terrible promotion of the Gus fight. "Gus has no chance to win.", i.e. don't bother to buy the fight.

The judges will not look favorably on Gus running away from his opponents. He's got to figure out a way to get space and a breather without sprinting to the other side of the Octagon.

I think so. I think Gus has improved as much as DC, don't know about Jones yet really. Jones looked pretty boring and not super impressive against OSP, so if that's Jones without dick pills I think Gus might beat him. But Jones may also be the type of dude that fights up to his competition so he might have looked better even the same night against DC or Gus.

I don't know either if the Glover fight is the best to judge from. Glover is too slow with not enough reach to effectively beat Gus most of the time I think... though I guess one impressive thing is that Gus kept to his game plan and was patient during the entire fight.

First of all I´d like to say that Gustafsson sure looked great in his last fight, but how much do you guys think this eyepoke interfered in the outcome?
ImpossibleDopeyBats-size_restricted.gif
I think it interfered a lot. But again, he looked amazing and his striking was deadly.

Now back to the point: Jones and DC

Against DC: this knee was the closest to being finished Cormier has ever been in his mma career. Worse than Rumble's shot in their 1st fight. Worse than 5 rounds with Jones.
sGpFwmv.gif

But staying in the clinch eating uppercuts like a retard instead of keeping his distance and using his range wasn´t the smartest strategy... and it cost Gus the fight.
HideousRepentantGartersnake.gif

Against Jones: the champ was losing a close fight before he landed that perfectly well timed elbow.
Jone-Jones-FOT-Alexander-Gustafsson.gif
bones-spinning-slbow.gif

But now after Jon's "disappointing" last performance, some people feel Gustafsson (who's been active) has made more improvements than Jon (who's been out) and would outstrike him in a rematch.
giphy.gif

So the question is, do you feel Gustafsson has improved enough to be the LHW champ? Is he the only one at LHW with real chances of beating Jones and DC?

Thoughts?
You got to get over you great white hope. He's not winning a belt.

The only person I saw as having a chance against Jones/DC was Rumble.

A KO artist with good defensive wrestling is the way to beat both of them I believe.

I'd give Gus a much better chance against DC than I would against Jones, but I think he loses to both.

You got to get over you great white hope. He's not winning a belt.

"Great White Hope" smh.... Only in America... Gus is a good contender, who gave both the GOAT and the second best LHW of all time a tough fight. No shame in hoping he can give one of them another great fight, that we can look forward to. It's only good for an otherwise lackluster division.

I really hope we see Gus vs Jones next. I hate Jones and don't really care for Cormier but I want Jones to win. Gus vs Jones 2 will be next

"Great White Hope" smh.... Only in America... Gus is a good contender, who gave both the GOAT and the second best LHW of all time a tough fight. No shame in hoping he can give one of them another great fight, that we can look forward to. It's only good for an otherwise lackluster division.
He is a good fighter and will always be up there, but I don't se him winning and holding onto a belt.

Gus and Jones are some of the biggest eye pokers out there.

Back