Advice on best MA to start

homergr

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some advice on getting back into training; my past experience includes some bjj but mostly boxing. However, several injuries from football etc. have kept me from regular training for the last few years. One of my biggest issues at present is lack of flexibility/mobility, and obviously also looking to drop some weight and gain fighting skill, but the flexibility thing is a big one, and I have to work around a few of the injuries (knees/shoulders). Options in the area seem to be judo, tae kwon do, or shotokan karate (muay thai is available but expensive). I'm not necessarily looking for one art I'll stick to forever, but wondering what you guys might recommend for 6-12 months to accomplish the goals I mentioned? Thanks for any suggestions.

There's really no other options? I'd say try out both the karate and tkd. Both will develop the flexibility you want, but pick the one which seems more combat oriented (probably neither will be)

Judo will def destroy your knees more

Question gets posted here daily and the answer is always the same - visit all available gyms, pick the one that feels right. The choice always depends on the coach, methods and how much you like it.

There's really no other options? I'd say try out both the karate and tkd. Both will develop the flexibility you want, but pick the one which seems more combat oriented (probably neither will be)

Judo will def destroy your knees more

Thanks, didn't know that about judo. Sounds like you prefer Muay Thai from the combat perspective? My other hesitation with starting Muay Thai is a preconceived notion that the kicking is harder on the joints, including knees, over the other arts, but am I wrong about that?

Thanks, didn't know that about judo. Sounds like you prefer Muay Thai from the combat perspective? My other hesitation with starting Muay Thai is a preconceived notion that the kicking is harder on the joints, including knees, over the other arts, but am I wrong about that?
Sparring in MT/kickboxing is definitely hard on your knees. My knees have been troubling me lately and after sparring its been getting swollen. To to mention even throwing knees sucks. But as far as training without sparring, its not that bad

Question gets posted here daily and the answer is always the same - visit all available gyms, pick the one that feels right. The choice always depends on the coach, methods and how much you like it.

This. Also karate will not necessarily encourage flexibility, there are a lot of different styles and many are basically just boxing.

This. Also karate will not necessarily encourage flexibility, there are a lot of different styles and many are basically just boxing.
Can't fully agree with that, at least here in Europe all Karate styles focus heavily on kicks. Which styles do you have in mind?

Can't fully agree with that, at least here in Europe all Karate styles focus heavily on kicks. Which styles do you have in mind?

The Okinawan stuff in particular. Uechi-ryu throws leg kicks, but I don't think of it as a "kicking style".

Im no doctor nor expert bro, but imo, taking into consideration the layoff and the injuries, it doesnt seem a smart move to jump right in there without 1st going thru a specific strength&conditioning program to avoid future injuries whilst preparing your body for the combat training work load.
Shoulder&knee injury is no joke. Imo, if you have the possiblity, you should seek a physiotherapist opinion on the matter.
I might be wrong, but i believe he/she will advice you to 1st do strength&conditioning to test and prepare your body.
Good luck with your training

Back