Adults who can't read.

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The BBC has an article about America having 16 million people who can't read.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41754308/the-americans-who-can-t-read

I had assumed since my childhood in the 1950s that everybody can read. I soon found out that they can't. Even them I thought it might be people older than me who didn't get an opportunity to go to school. My parents and grandparents were avid readers.

Some can read a little but not very well and can't always understand what they read. There are people who graduated from high school that can't read. Even some college students read at grade school levels as late as 2016 when this study was done.

Mary Willingham, an academic advisor at UNC-Chapel Hill, revealed to CNN that, based on her research, 60 percent of the school's athletes were reading between a fourth and eighth grade level. Because she did, she's now a target of multiple death threats. "Willingham said she's gotten four death threats, and more than 30 other alarming messages,"

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...-athletes-cant-read-get-death-threats/356880/

In 1986 the government instituted the Commercial Drivers License. Every truck driver had to take the test. The written version had 4 possible answers for each question. It became obvious that there were truck drivers who couldn't read. In their infinite wisdom, the government supplied an audible version of the test for people who couldn't read. This was a true false test so there was a 50/50 chance of choosing the correct answer. The new law also required drivers to complete more forms which they can't do if they can't read.

We had 2 truck drivers who couldn't read and one that could barely read. We had a mechanic and some workers who couldn't fill out forms. Do you know or have you worked with anyone who can't read?

Robert_Harris_-_A_Meeting_of_the_School_Trustees.jpg

One day I will create a school for kids that can't read too good.

Worked with an executive whose e-mails looked like they were written by a 5 year old. I don't understand how he got the job to be honest. We would pass his e-mails around the office, joking around trying to figure out what he was saying. He always added a line in his e-mails saying "sent from mobile" or some shit, yet I'd see him send the e-mail from a laptop.

Worked with an executive whose e-mails looked like they were written by a 5 year old. I don't understand how he got the job to be honest. We would pass his e-mails around the office, joking around trying to figure out what he was saying. He always added a line in his e-mails saying "sent from mobile" or some shit, yet I'd see him send the e-mail from a laptop.

U sound like an awful person, tbh

It seems like every month an article comes out about poor reading levels seen in inner city schools. For decades there has been talk about improving the inner city schools, but no serious improvements have been done.

Gottsta love dat BBC.

The BBC brings the ruckus.

It seems like every month an article comes out about poor reading levels seen in inner city schools. For decades there has been talk about improving the inner city schools, but no serious improvements have been done.

Of course not. It's easy to use education as election campaign rhetoric. It's even easier to ignore reform once you're in office.

Apparently Maywether can't read...

Probably won't make it far in life..

Sad..

LOL@ not being able to read as an adult. It reminds me of cheesy 1980's sitcoms when some teenage kid couldn't read and he finally told somebody and magically by the end of the show he could read and write without a problem.

The oldest fighter in my gym couldn't read, often had to ask where toilets were in pubs, listened to audio books etc.

He was of traveler stock, a known family I'm the area. One of the hardest men I've ever met and he taught me how to deal with a shorter fighter. His overhand right was proper mustard and after mastering defence of it I was confident to deal with anyone's. Saw him break a guys orbital bone with a jab and he could do standing splits with his foot above his head.

He's over in Australia now probably fucking people up left, right and centre.

A bunch of professional athletes can't read.

I feel terrible for people who live in the US and cannot read. I don't understand how you would function in life. Your career choices are going to be extremely restricted, you likely won't be promoted into any sort of management role, and you probably have a difficult time educating yourself in anyway that isn't hands on.

My step-dad used to work with a guy who couldn't read. He could recognize certain common words, like "stop" or "hamburger" for instance but he couldn't just sit down and read some shit.

When I learned that I was blown away. I couldn't believe there was an adult in America who couldn't read.

That may partially explain why so many of them go bankrupt after retiring.

No doubt, I remember watching those specials on ESPN about athletes who went broke just a few years after retiring. That stuff is so crazy and sad at the same time.

you likely won't be promoted into any sort of management role, and you probably have a difficult time educating yourself in anyway that isn't hands on.
2i1fYqM.gif

Back