accused of sandbagging

mrblackcoffee

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
so i was recently accused of sandbagging at a local tournament has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

What belt are you and how long have you been training?

I have accused many people and most of the time I am correct

What belt are you and how long have you been training?
I have accused many people and most of the time I am correct

white belt and only for 6 months, but this was in no gi and it was my 2nd no gi tournament my 1st i saw a lot of my weaknesses so i trained with a guy at my gym who was a college wrestler worked double/single leg takedowns with him like 20 min everyday after class for a month straight. thats what the other guy was complaining about.
Were you?
no

white belt and only for 6 months, but this was in no gi and it was my 2nd no gi tournament my 1st i saw a lot of my weaknesses so i trained with a guy at my gym who was a college wrestler worked double/single leg takedowns with him like 20 min everyday after class for a month straight. thats what the other guy was complaining about.

no
LOL love it!

Drill baby drill!

Props, you saw your gaps took the time after class(imho is where the best training is done) drilled what you wanted to learn with someone more experienced and translated it into comp...Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Wrestling, the coward's way. Come on, pull guard like a man, live on the edge a little!

no
Sounds like you are in the right place. Keep training and pretty soon you might be sandbagging

no
If this is true then you're alright.

I'm a snitch.

Really I have been rolling a long time and often tell people when the next belt is coming. Some times they fight it because they don't like the extra pressure.
i demoted myself back to 3 stripe whit belt because of injuries and loss of conditioning..kind of felt like i was slapping my old instructor in the face but i legitimently felt i wasnt a good representation of his belt anymore.

i wouldnt compete lower though

alright thx guys, i was honestly confused by his accusation (novice can't have any wrestling experience) which is what he accused me of was being a wrestler and was wondering if this was just sort of common among like white belt/novice competitors

alright thx guys, i was honestly confused by his accusation (novice can't have any wrestling experience) which is what he accused me of was being a wrestler and was wondering if this was just sort of common among like white belt/novice competitors
Wrestlers sometimes troll the novice divisions

Sandbagging is when you see the same person winning the same division year after year.

Sandbagging is typically a problem at white belt, which is why you were accosted. That and the other guy couldn't defend a shot apparently.

On a serious note, sandbagging can be a real problem because a great many people need to validate their self worth and existence with a shiny gold medal. These people are generally very sad people. Glad you are not one of them.

i demoted myself back to 3 stripe whit belt because of injuries and loss of conditioning..kind of felt like i was slapping my old instructor in the face but i legitimently felt i wasnt a good representation of his belt anymore.

i wouldnt compete lower though
You are slapping your instructor in the face. I'm only saying this cause I went through this before. I got my blue belt, won a tournament, was pretty good, moved and didn't train for 2 years. Came back and said I was going to go to white belt again. I had no cardiovascular and the game evolved while I didn't. My instructor and I had a long talk.

Martial Arts should humble you as a person
What I didn't want was to be a blue belt and have white belts lining up to tap a blue belt. My instructor told me two things.
If it was up to him to promote me to blue belt then it is up to him to demote me or not.
Second and most important, that feeling on embarrassment if I got tapped needed to be channeled to pushing myself to get better and to never go so long without training again so the same thing doesn't happen.

Pretty god advice if you ask me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back