accused of sandbagging

Sorry I don't agree that if you self demote your disrespecting your instructor. Usually I find most self demote after not training for a long period of time. At the time of promotion from their instructor they gladly took it and if keep training would still be wearing the belt. It just that because they haven't train in a long time they feel like they don't deserve their belts. Most after a bit of training will gladly take back the original belt no problem. I find it more odd that others get so upset with self devoting.

Sorry I don't agree that if you self demote your disrespecting your instructor. Usually I find most self demote after not training for a long period of time. At the time of promotion from their instructor they gladly took it and if keep training would still be wearing the belt. It just that because they haven't train in a long time they feel like they don't deserve their belts. Most after a bit of training will gladly take back the original belt no problem. I find it more odd that others get so upset with self devoting.
The belt is earned. Once you have it you have it. There is no backwards. You go through the trials and tribulations and gain the experience and perspective. The belt is more than knowledge of skills or being in shape it represents a whole lot more that can never be taken away.

It's a degree. Just because I don't remember half of the geometry I learned in college cause I do not practice doesn't mean some can take away my college degree.

I hope you reconsider

i demoted myself back to 3 stripe whit belt because of injuries and loss of conditioning..kind of felt like i was slapping my old instructor in the face but i legitimently felt i wasnt a good representation of his belt anymore.

i wouldnt compete lower though
Ok. So I would assume you were a blue belt.

Out of shape and (edited) heaps of injuries.

That is not acceptable.

White belt is newbie as novice.

So you get tapped by white belts, no big deals.

Just wear your blue belt.

Last edited:
Ok. So I would assume you were a blue belt.

Out of shape and no injuries.

That is not acceptable.

White belt is newbie as novice.

So you get tapped by white belts, no big deals.

Just wear your blue belt.
i actually have a shitload of injuries, i can barely move because of some of them

The belt is earned. Once you have it you have it. There is no backwards. You go through the trials and tribulations and gain the experience and perspective. The belt is more than knowledge of skills or being in shape it represents a whole lot more that can never be taken away.

It's a degree. Just because I don't remember half of the geometry I learned in college cause I do not practice doesn't mean some can take away my college degree.

I hope you reconsider

No I do hear what your saying and it makes sense when you put it that way. Do you think we as a community created this problem? I mean in the past we use to say " I rather be a good blue than a shitty purple belt". So when people took time off they felt they have become that shitty purple belt. It's almost like they feel like they are a fraud. I think if more looked at belts like you do we be better off.

No I do hear what your saying and it makes sense when you put it that way. Do you think we as a community created this problem? I mean in the past we use to say " I rather be a good blue than a shitty purple belt". So when people took time off they felt they have become that shitty purple belt. It's almost like they feel like they are a fraud. I think if more looked at belts like you do we be better off.
I think I believe what I believe because I got lucky with an instructor who has good perspective. Being humble is sometimes frowned upon but I feel it is one of the most important traits you will find in jiu jitsu. Our ego gets in the way a lot. I'm 100 percent guilty of this too. It's not easy but it's a good experience

We are getting WAAAAY off topic here.

I feel like I would be sandbagging if I competed as a Blue Belt, because I have been a blue belt for 5 years. The reason for this is having moved three times and deployed overseas during this period, as well as declining a promotion to Purple due to an issue with the ownership of a gym I was training with, and not feeling like taking the belt was worth compromising my personal values, even though I had definitely earned it (one of the owners was a narcissistic crazy person who refused to let anybody else get promoted to purple belt until she did because of her ego).

I would compete as a Purple Belt, and be satisfied whether I got my ass whopped or not because there is no reason for me to compete at a belt level I have surpassed to earn a shiny medal. I can buy a medal at the store.

He can't barely move, how are you able to train?
well im able to do certain things without pain, but big differences had to be made like i cant invert or bridge into side control to recover guard anymore, sitting in butterfly at all has been pretty painful. bridging under load causes some nerve pain so its been out of question.

I feel like I would be sandbagging if I competed as a Blue Belt, because I have been a blue belt for 5 years. The reason for this is having moved three times and deployed overseas during this period, as well as declining a promotion to Purple due to an issue with the ownership of a gym I was training with, and not feeling like taking the belt was worth compromising my personal values, even though I had definitely earned it (one of the owners was a narcissistic crazy person who refused to let anybody else get promoted to purple belt until she did because of her ego).

I would compete as a Purple Belt, and be satisfied whether I got my ass whopped or not because there is no reason for me to compete at a belt level I have surpassed to earn a shiny medal. I can buy a medal at the store.

I agree I am planning on doing naga soon going to do gi and no gi as well as gi absolute if they have it and see how i do, if i get triple gold or perform extremely well I am thinking of maybe competing in the blue belt division after naga.

well im able to do certain things without pain, but big differences had to be made like i cant invert or bridge into side control to recover guard anymore, sitting in butterfly at all has been pretty painful. bridging under load causes some nerve pain so its been out of question.

You need to stop training and get that fixed.

I used to get accused of sandbagging all the time. I am a black belt now, but I had wins over blackbelts in nogi competitions at Expert when I was a blue belt. My coach was slow to promote me. It felt bad knowing I had wrestled my whole life, my coach wouldnt promote me past purple belt, and I would get some poor guy who had done BJJ for 3 years and was basically throwing away $80 because he pulled me first round of a tournament. Tournaments should just let you compete higher than your belt if you want to.

If you dont compete at blue belt you cant be sure you would won. You should give a try

I am not overly concerned with winning, I want to see how my game measures up against Purple Belts who I don't train with and don't know my game inside and out. These days a lot of my BJJ is based toward MMA and not getting hit while on the ground and going for the sub, so it would be nice to have a change of pace and see how it goes

Back