About to live on my own for the first time...

MarcoW

Bojacked Horsehungman
@Brown
Reaction score
Sup doggers. Im 26 and have always lived with my parents. I recently got a nice government job in another province so i will be moving out all my stuff once i am done training to move across the country and live on my own.

What should I do in my new place? Should I go apartment, condo or townhouse? What experience do you have with each of these?

What stuff will I need? What do you think i will find most difficult?

just bought my first house, though ive been living on my own since i was 19

lurking for ideas

to answer your question, renting is better if you are uncertain of your future. buying is WAY better if you are committing long term. you should start with the smallest thing you think you can handle, since most leases are only a year, you have a year to see if you need more room. that way you arent committing to your maximum budget, in case you find out you need more money later

if youre renting, its really not that complicated and the landlord will walk you through the process. you just need the obvious possessions that you use in your daily life, like a bed, a chair of some sort etc. some places will come with all the kitchen appliances

apartments are the most budget friendly, but you should look for a location within the complex, its annoying to have people above, beside and below you. also look at the parking situation if its a big city

last piece of advice is check out how it seems at night. sometimes places look like a quiet neighborhood and then get rowdy as fuck at night, or nearby parking-less apt complexes take every spot on the street etc.

What should you do? Walk around naked and take number 3's all over the place.

lurking for ideas

Posting the very first reply is terrible lurking.

It depends what your budget is and what kind of lifestyle you want.

Sup doggers. Im 26 and have always lived with my parents. I recently got a nice government job in another province so i will be moving out all my stuff once i am done training to move across the country and live on my own.

What should I do in my new place? Should I go apartment, condo or townhouse? What experience do you have with each of these?

What stuff will I need? What do you think i will find most difficult?
Do you plan on spending a lot of time at home? Yes, get a house with property. No, get an apartment with a few cool things that relax you for when you're home.

Buy don't rent (unless the market is on the apex of a bubble)

And then buy your parents a present for carrying you for 26 years.

I have a government job in BC and I can't afford to live on my own.

What agency do you work for and where are you moving to?

Get something where you can live comfortably, but not too expensive that you can't enjoy a night out every now and then.

And keep your toilets clean and your showers pube free. Chicks like that about a guy.

I have a government job in BC and I can't afford to live on my own.

What agency do you work for and where are you moving to?
working for CSC going to Edmonton.

Get something where you can live comfortably, but not too expensive that you can't enjoy a night out every now and then.

And keep your toilets clean and your showers pube free. Chicks like that about a guy.
crap, im going to have to clean the bathroom.
didnt think about that.

I've done it. When I was younger it was one of those I want to prove to myself I could do it things.

Financially it actually wasn't too bad, but I didn't like it overall. Just not my thing to always be on my own -funny thing is, that was the part I was sure I'd love lol

Was a cool experience tho

Not exactly surprising that an adult SJW still lives with his parents. Nice to hear that you're finally freeing them from the shame of their offspring!

lurking for ideas

to answer your question, renting is better if you are uncertain of your future. buying is WAY better if you are committing long term. you should start with the smallest thing you think you can handle, since most leases are only a year, you have a year to see if you need more room. that way you arent committing to your maximum budget, in case you find out you need more money later

if youre renting, its really not that complicated and the landlord will walk you through the process. you just need the obvious possessions that you use in your daily life, like a bed, a chair of some sort etc. some places will come with all the kitchen appliances

apartments are the most budget friendly, but you should look for a location within the complex, its annoying to have people above, beside and below you. also look at the parking situation if its a big city

last piece of advice is check out how it seems at night. sometimes places look like a quiet neighborhood and then get rowdy as fuck at night, or nearby parking-less apt complexes take every spot on the street etc.

^Really good advice, actually

Only thing I'd add is to maybe stay close to home at 1st so that some of the questions in the post above (like what the area is like at night) are answered due to familiarity.

You sound poor, so shop at goodwill for your furniture, then work your way up to ikea.

Not exactly surprising that an adult SJW still lives with his parents. Nice to hear that you're finally freeing them from the shame of their offspring!
yeah when you spend time learning things in school it tends to take a little longer to move out.

U will surely die.

But try to get a rental house, with a yard. Wouldn't recommend apartments or anything like that. Trust me, take the time and find a legit house with a yard. They're out there.

I've been living on my own since 19, really all depends on your situation my dude.

If you have a good government job that you don't think you'll lose anytime soon and make good money, don't rent or lease, just buy a condo or buy a house.

What you need all depends on what you buy, if you rent, especially a condo you shouldn't need much, they usually come with a washer/dryer, dishwasher and usually furniture.

Don't buy dishes. At least not a lot. Because you will never do the dishes. So get like one or two plates so you are forced to wash them every night before using them again.

Get a vacuum. Use your vacuum. And buy lots of cleaning products so you have them. If it comes time to clean and you have to go out and buy all that shit, you will just not clean.

Back