A question (injury)

Gregolian

.45 ACP
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, about a month and a half ago I hyper-extended my knee to the point I have cartilage damage behind my left knee cap. I'm on crutches. My knee can bend and shit but if I walk around without said crutches too much it'll swell up again and I can't walk for a day or so.

PROBLEM, I have gotten used to in the last year going to the gym a couple days a week for at least an hour at a time. This has NOTHING to do with me worrying about losing gainz or whatever
that-s-what-it-meant-broscience-iifym-dom-asktheprofessor-gym-z1i7HR-quote.jpg

More to do, it's become a habit and one actual healthy habit of mine that has now unfortunately stopped. Would me going to the gym to say do anything I can BUT squats/deadlifts while on crutches be, well, dangerous?

Not asking if it's dangerous for my knee because I fail to see how me doing say bench press could fuck my knee more but more would me hobbling around on crutches get in other people's way?

Provided your injured leg isnt stabilizing your body while working out the rest of your body, i'd say go for it and just be easy. You may have to prop your legs up flat on the bench horizontally rather than on the floor, wont gain as much strength etc, but it can be managed still. If people see you on crutches at a gym they will think one of two things:
1. This guy is a douche, gtfo my way.
2. Damn, this guy is injured and still coming.

Just be courteous, ask the gym manager if it would be a problem etc, look for less busy times maybe.

Provided your injured leg isnt stabilizing your body while working out the rest of your body, i'd say go for it and just be easy. You may have to prop your legs up flat on the bench horizontally rather than on the floor, wont gain as much strength etc, but it can be managed still. If people see you on crutches at a gym they will think one of two things:
1. This guy is a douche, gtfo my way.
2. Damn, this guy is injured and still coming.

Just be courteous, ask the gym manager if it would be a problem etc, look for less busy times maybe.
That's what I was leaning towards. Thanks.

I'd never have an issue with someone on crutches still trying to bust their ass in the gym.

Go for it, bro.

Guy with cerebral palsy works out in crutches all the time at my gym. In your case, as long as you can find a safe pain free place to put your leg, you'd be fine.

Dude get in there and work out. You aren't bothering anybody. Do you're thing, anybody who has a problem with you working out because you're on crutches isn't worth listening to.

You don't need your legs to do curls anyway, amirite?

You may need to get that scoped. If you don't, frayed cartilage from the posterior aspect of the patella can lead to meniscal and ACL lesions.

You may need to get that scoped. If you don't, frayed cartilage from the posterior aspect of the patella can lead to meniscal and ACL lesions.
Had an MRI and everything and they said no surgery for now. Just stay on the crutches, be willing to walk on it but have the crutches there to take most of the weight, ice, compress, elevate.

Said basically I took the cartilage and squishered it like dropping a dictionary on say... a loaf of bread. It has to expand back out.

Never heard of that type of analogy for it but hopefully it can be managed without surgery.

Never heard of that type of analogy for it but hopefully it can be managed without surgery.
It's annoying as I wear a suit daily at work. Dude in a suit hobbling around on crutches. Gggrrr

Any chance you can use a cane and look all gangster and dapper?

Any chance you can use a cane and look all gangster and dapper?
I'd need to buy one. I can get around with a single crutch but it's slow going. It's faster going with two so I have stuck with crutches for now.

I hope you aren't using your shoulders to bare the weight of the crutch lol

I mean the upper aspect of the crutch should be positioned against the ribs, not the armpits, while using your forearms as the translation.

I mean the upper aspect of the crutch should be positioned against the ribs, not the armpits, while using your forearms as the translation.
That's where they are.

I have it set for the 6'4" approximate height which I am just below and they are against the mid section of my ribs.

So, my knee is FINALLY starting to feel healthy again though SOME thing still feel uncomfortable. I was at 3 plates on squats prior to injury, I know there is no way I can do that but I hate NOT doing them just because I'm worried about my knee, should I maybe start back over with say like the bar and then the bar and 25s?

Always start lighter when coming off an injury like that. Its not just strength that can be lost but also proprioception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back