A question (injury)

I figured, did deadlifts again for the first time since this happened and I WAS at 2 plates prior to the injury (NO clue why my deadlift lags by an entire plate per side behind my squat but oh well). Now, a 45 and a 5 per side was my limit.

So, about a month and a half ago I hyper-extended my knee to the point I have cartilage damage behind my left knee cap. I'm on crutches. My knee can bend and shit but if I walk around without said crutches too much it'll swell up again and I can't walk for a day or so.

How exactly did you hyper extend your knee?

Had an MRI and everything and they said no surgery for now. Just stay on the crutches, be willing to walk on it but have the crutches there to take most of the weight, ice, compress, elevate.

Said basically I took the cartilage and squishered it like dropping a dictionary on say... a loaf of bread. It has to expand back out.

What was the actual medical diagnosis?

So, my knee is FINALLY starting to feel healthy again though SOME thing still feel uncomfortable. I was at 3 plates on squats prior to injury, I know there is no way I can do that but I hate NOT doing them just because I'm worried about my knee, should I maybe start back over with say like the bar and then the bar and 25s?

Don't rush back with a meniscus injury. Wait for medical clearance. There is no prize for squatting 135 sooner rather than later. But when you do return to squatting, you should start very light.

The most likely reason your squat is so far ahead of your deadlift if you train both is that you are squatting high (which is bad for the knees).

What does "squatting high" mean?

I hyper extended it basically doing this:

Medical diagnosis word for word was "cartilage damage, nothing's torn or broken off though"

Not going low enough.
I'm pretty sure I go low enough, I mean... I used to play catcher for baseball and I am going just a bit higher than that so I keep my heels on the ground.

Also, tried 135 deadlifts Tuesday.... knee stiff again. Seriously... I can't do 135lb deadlifts without causing a problem? Kill me.

Also, tried 135 deadlifts Tuesday.... knee stiff again. Seriously... I can't do 135lb deadlifts without causing a problem? Kill me.

Then stop deadlifting. If you do anything, perhaps try a movement with basically no knee movement i.e. a RDL or a stiff leg deadlift.

Reviving this a bit.

Saw my doctor for a follow up yesterday. He said my knee should be virtually back to normal however his advise was no squats and deadlifts for probably another month but any other weightlifting stuff with my legs would be "ok" in his opinion as long as I don't try and go super heavy.

So, any suggestions from everyone here on what might be an ok way to work those same muscle groups? I think the biggest thing my doc wants me to avoid is any sort of lifts while my knees are essentially load bearing.

Figured:
- Leg extensions
- Leg curls
.... past that I got nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back