A Mini-Breakdown of Mini-Mendes's KO of Miles Jury. It's called SHIFTING

I thought this thread was suppose to be about Mendes.

This video gives an excellent breakdown of how Tyson used shifting to close distance and seamlessly blend offense and defense by changing his angle of attack and then choosing the ideal punch based on the position he was in.

The YT channel is probably my favorite for technical breakdowns of boxing (and MMA) techniques and styles.
If you are a nerd like me you will love it.

ExhaustedVagueIsopod-size_restricted.gif

I want you to look at Mendes's feet and pay attention to how much ground he is able to cover so quickly.

He starts at the modelo sign and ends up on the UFC fight pass sign.

Now you may ask yourself how or what was the reason? Fret no more. I have the answers for you: ) Let us begin the breakdown.

It is called shifting. Also referred to as the Dempsey Shift.

Shifting is when you punch stepping forward into opposite stance and then punch out of it back into your original stance. No reseting. It allows you to carry the momentum of your punches and keep the combination going while covering distance.

It often times catches people by suprise because they are not expecting another punch from opposite stance to follow through etc

If you want to see a modern boxer who is brilliant at this. Watch GGG.

-Mendes sells the right fake to the body and uses that to step into southpaw

-Then Mendes comes up top with the left hook from southpaw back into orthdox

Honestly a very nice KO

You will notice Jury gets caught by the left hook as he's reaching. It's honestly hard to tell what he was reaching for. Did he think the left hook was going to the body. Was he trying to parry the left hook lol. Was it a bad lackadaisical reaction? Only the fighter himself would know

But none the less, I just wanted to do a quick breakdown of this KO

You see the right fake to the body left hook combo up top a lot at the higher levels, but not many through shifting.

Interestingly enough, you saw Aldo try to attempt the same right fake to the body left hook up top combo against Conor

But there are levels to counter striking.

No one in the UFC - or in MMA history is - or ever has been on Conor's level of legit elite level counter punching boxing

FW just got very interesting with Mendes back in the fold

I personally think Mendes would be an absolute nightmare match up for Holloway. The level changing. His lower center of gravity to get in on his hips. His striking and submissions etc.

Conor is the only one who has ever made Mendes look bad on the feet. People simply forget just how next level Matrix Conor is

Mendes vs Ortega would also be interesting

Very nice KO by Mendes.
Someone did a much better analysis than you.

And mendes was practicing that exact set up

What skillspaythebills doesn't acknowledge in his armchair expert breakdown ('Jury should have planted and countered or stepped in' ...fucking LOL) is that in realtime, Mendes dipping down wasn't just about getting his head off-line and loading up on the hook - it was actually the second deception in that sequence; to Jury, the feint-dip looked like the classic overhand (feint) to TD setup ...only Mendes exploded back up with a hook instead. This is why Jury was reaching out instead of covering or attempting a counter (skillspaythe bills: 'duuuh.. dunno why he dun that??').
Wtf am I reading? That wasn't a fucking straight feint to td feint. Oh yeah Miles is expecting a TD which is why he leans back instead if attempting to sprawl. A good counter puncher would have thrown a right long before Mendes got the left off. It's a risky technique that works cause Miles isn't a counter puncher. Fucking mendes head was barely off the center, a straight right would have fucked that up, Miles was just too worried about getting corpsed by an overhand than countering

Conor's sorry in your mouth taste like next level elite too?

ExhaustedVagueIsopod-size_restricted.gif

I want you to look at Mendes's feet and pay attention to how much ground he is able to cover so quickly.

He starts at the modelo sign and ends up on the UFC fight pass sign.

Now you may ask yourself how or what was the reason? Fret no more. I have the answers for you: ) Let us begin the breakdown.

It is called shifting. Also referred to as the Dempsey Shift.

Shifting is when you punch stepping forward into opposite stance and then punch out of it back into your original stance. No reseting. It allows you to carry the momentum of your punches and keep the combination going while covering distance.

It often times catches people by suprise because they are not expecting another punch from opposite stance to follow through etc

If you want to see a modern boxer who is brilliant at this. Watch GGG.

-Mendes sells the right fake to the body and uses that to step into southpaw

-Then Mendes comes up top with the left hook from southpaw back into orthdox

Honestly a very nice KO

You will notice Jury gets caught by the left hook as he's reaching. It's honestly hard to tell what he was reaching for. Did he think the left hook was going to the body. Was he trying to parry the left hook lol. Was it a bad lackadaisical reaction? Only the fighter himself would know

But none the less, I just wanted to do a quick breakdown of this KO

You see the right fake to the body left hook combo up top a lot at the higher levels, but not many through shifting.

Interestingly enough, you saw Aldo try to attempt the same right fake to the body left hook up top combo against Conor

But there are levels to counter striking.

No one in the UFC - or in MMA history is - or ever has been on Conor's level of legit elite level counter punching boxing

FW just got very interesting with Mendes back in the fold

I personally think Mendes would be an absolute nightmare match up for Holloway. The level changing. His lower center of gravity to get in on his hips. His striking and submissions etc.

Conor is the only one who has ever made Mendes look bad on the feet. People simply forget just how next level Matrix Conor is

Mendes vs Ortega would also be interesting

Very nice KO by Mendes.

Wtf am I reading? That wasn't a fucking straight feint to td feint. Oh yeah Miles is expecting a TD which is why he leans back instead if attempting to sprawl. A good counter puncher would have thrown a right long before Mendes got the left off. It's a risky technique that works cause Miles isn't a counter puncher. Fucking mendes head was barely off the center, a straight right would have fucked that up, Miles was just too worried about getting corpsed by an overhand than countering

Yeah, he was worried about being corpsed by the right, which is why he initially leans back, then, as he sees Mendes drop, his hand comes down. Where between these two beats do you see the time to sprawl or fire off laser accurate counter? You and the other basement dweller are dreaming.

Yeah, he was worried about being corpsed by the right, which is why he initially leans back, then, as he sees Mendes drop, his hand comes down. Where between these two beats do you see the time to sprawl or fire off laser accurate counter? You and the other basement dweller are dreaming.
Yep never boxed or trained at an mma school in my life.....oh wait. A good counter striker would have slid back slightly and committed to a counter when Mendes feinted then committed (what Myles was doing but got flustered). Would either land as a hard counter or Mendes ducking into a TD. Doesn't take away from the fact that it left mendes's chin open and he overcommitted to the left. Again Myles doesn't have the timing, speed, or composure to capitalize on it. That doesn't mean it's some amazing technique, it was a fucking straight feint to a step lunging hook. Myles hand came down slightly, you act like it was at his hips to defend a shot....he got flustered with how fast Mendes closed the distance (one of Mendes top skills, used the same speedy gap closing to land on Conor).

Lol you're that much of a Conor hater that that's all you want to take out of this thread.

But YIKES. Conor was mutilating Mendes on the feet. Mendes gassed because of Conor's body work. How about this, Mendes only had success on the ground because Conor took a wrestler on short notice.

Well, we've never seen McGregor against another wrestler.

On the other hand, we've seen Chad go 5 hard rounds before and not look too tired at the end of it. The one fight that he took on 10 days notice, he gassed out in the 2nd round.

Conor did a good job of hitting the body and making him tire out even faster, but if Chad was better conditioned he would still be able to last longer.

It wasnt a ko.. It was tko, and he wasnt really hurt at that time. Chad punched his hands and arms.. Never got thru, but fight was stopped. Dude was defending himself obviously as he was getting hit in hand/arms. Was a nice punch standing up, but he wasnt out or even dazed too bad.

What skillspaythebills doesn't acknowledge in his armchair expert breakdown ('Jury should have planted and countered or stepped in' ...fucking LOL) is that in realtime, Mendes dipping down wasn't just about getting his head off-line and loading up on the hook - it was actually the second deception in that sequence; to Jury, the feint-dip looked like the classic overhand (feint) to TD setup ...only Mendes exploded back up with a hook instead. This is why Jury was reaching out instead of covering or attempting a counter (skillspaythe bills: 'duuuh.. dunno why he dun that??').

Why would Jury reach with his right hand if he thought a right overhand from Mendes was coming?

You make no sense

You dont fake a right to the body and step into southpaw to still throw an overhand right. Which would then become a southpaw right hook. Which would've left his whole left side completely open just begging to be countered with a right straight

You really do have no idea what you're talking about. You never do. It's always the most ignorant people who are the most arrogant and vocal. So you have no business being this toxic and trying to flame me.

How can you scoff at my breakdown and yet you offer nothing and instead only go by assumption of feelings "Jury was clearly expecting an overhand right"..."therefore another great deception by Mendes"...lol talk about bending over backwards to make that KO seem like even more then what it actually was

Yet you downplay legit amazing feats of Conor's counter punching wizardry (countering Floyd in a boxing match)

You really are something else. You really think anyone takes you seriously with your kind of toxic "attitude" and bias?

Watch some boxing. Learn. Many have utilized that same combo. Feint the right to the body, left hook up top.

It all now makes sense on why Conor's biggest detractors (like you) are always downplaying him and disregarding his amazing feats...they simply don't understand striking/boxing on that kind of level to genuinely appreciate Conor

Yep never boxed or trained at an mma school in my life.....oh wait. A good counter striker would have slid back slightly and committed to a counter when Mendes feinted then committed (what Myles was doing but got flustered). Would either land as a hard counter or Mendes ducking into a TD. Doesn't take away from the fact that it left mendes's chin open and he overcommitted to the left. Again Myles doesn't have the timing, speed, or composure to capitalize on it. That doesn't mean it's some amazing technique, it was a fucking straight feint to a step lunging hook. Myles hand came down slightly, you act like it was at his hips to defend a shot....he got flustered with how fast Mendes closed the distance (one of Mendes top skills, used the same speedy gap closing to land on Conor).

LOL The fact that you've been to a gym before doesn't mean shit to me. You talking what-if scenarios involving some mythical 'good counter striker' is goofy sherbro drivel.

Mendes was in there with Jury and timed his attack based on what he was feeling from him and the skills he knew he had.

That aside, you're not even understanding the different beats in that sequence and ignoring the role that the TD threat played in it.

Why would Jury reach with his right hand if he thought a right overhand from Mendes was coming?

You make no sense

You dont fake a right to the body and step into southpaw to still throw an overhand right. Which would then become a southpaw right hook. Which would've left his whole left side completely open just begging to be countered with a right straight

You really do have no idea what you're talking about. You never do. It's always the most ignorant people who are the most arrogant and vocal. So you have no business being this toxic and trying to flame me.

How can you scoff at my breakdown and yet you offer nothing and instead only go by assumption of feelings "Jury was clearly expecting an overhand right"..."therefore another great deception by Mendes"...lol talk about bending over backwards to make that KO seem like even more then what it actually was

Yet you downplay legit amazing feats of Conor's counter punching wizardry (countering Floyd in a boxing match)

You really are something else. You really think anyone takes you seriously with your kind of toxic "attitude" and bias?

Watch some boxing. Learn. Many have utilized that same combo. Feint the right to the body, left hook up top.

It all now makes sense on why Conor's biggest detractors (like you) are always downplaying him and disregarding his amazing feats...they simply don't understand striking/boxing on that kind of level to genuinely appreciate Conor

This is precious. The most pompous, condescending little weirdo on this site complains about toxicity. 'Your heart is in the right place, but you have much to learn. Worry not: I'm here to help.'.....LAWL

Your breakdowns are regurgitated YouTube learnings, which might actually be insightful to people who don't train, if it weren't for the fact that you are borderline insane with your admiration for Conor, turning every one of your posts into a delusional rant.

'Why would Jury reach if he thought an overhand was coming'

..wtf are you talking about?

Watch the gif you posted. His reaction to the feint was to jump/lean back. His hand doesn't come down until he sees Mendes drop down. Get your head out of Conor's ass and you might actually understand something.

Back