A Mini-Breakdown of Mini-Mendes's KO of Miles Jury. It's called SHIFTING

Aldo tried that against Conor

13-sec-ko.gif

<mma3>

i did, you turned it into a conor thread.

i'm a conor nuthugger but man, you might need some help.
He definitely does, and I like Conor (not a nuthugger tho). His long, obsessive rants were already freaking me the fuck out back in 2013.

Pretends to be here to break down Mendes/Jury KO, ends up doing what pleasures him most in life: stroking McGregor's shaft.

Pretends to be here to break down Mendes/Jury KO, ends up doing what pleasures him most in life: stroking McGregor's shaft.
Mendes: "Do you even know what wrestling is?"
McGregor: "(thinks for a second) I could rest my balls on your forehead."

Edit: The comments there are gold:

"LMFAO. The Irish may have a champion one day. It won't be this guy though."

'Aldo has consistently beaten fighters of much better quality than any one of conors opponents. Wake up you idiots. Jump off the hype train before it crashes. Aldo wants this fight now so he can get paid before someone else beats conor."

'that's my point. Dustin is another over hyped 25 year old fans favourite.
The only other guy Connor's fought in the top 15 took him the distance. Knocking out bums means nothing." (note: that "bum" was Max Holloway and Dustin Porier has gone an impressive 14-4 in the UFC)

"Edger will take him took the ground and pound him out."

"Mcgregor hasn't been matched with a wrestler because dana knows it will stop this money train in its tracks. people like mendes and Edgar are a match up nightmare for mcgregor. They will milk his run for all its worth. That's why he was paired up with mediocre strikers with no ground game and didn't even have to fight anyone in the top 5 to get a title shot"

What a great snapshot in time!

Last edited:
Lol the guy who was out struck by Bisping

UnawareBowedChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

Look how Anderson throws himself completely off balance with a pathetic right hook response. Great counter striker btw.

Anderson also couldn't lead. Anderson never had the skill or set ups to actually draw opponents out. He simply relied on countering brawlers who rushed in at him.

Conor is so much more advanced it's not even funny. Anderson was rudimentary with his actual boxing skill as well

All the fighters in MMA prior to Conor who people use to think were good counter punchers, none of them were actually any good by actual boxing standards. Conor came along and brought real boxing skill by actual boxing standards into MMA. We have never seen Conor's level of boxing skill in MMA ever at the championship level
Let’s use 40 year old Anderson as an example and ignore the reign of terror and completely unmatched dominance that was him at his prime.

Well done anti-logic.

ExhaustedVagueIsopod-size_restricted.gif

I want you to look at Mendes's feet and pay attention to how much ground he is able to cover so quickly.

He starts at the modelo sign and ends up on the UFC fight pass sign.

Now you may ask yourself how or what was the reason? Fret no more. I have the answers for you: ) Let us begin the breakdown.

It is called shifting. Also referred to as the Dempsey Shift.

Shifting is when you punch stepping forward into opposite stance and then punch out of it back into your original stance. No reseting. It allows you to carry the momentum of your punches and keep the combination going while covering distance.

It often times catches people by suprise because they are not expecting another punch from opposite stance to follow through etc

If you want to see a modern boxer who is brilliant at this. Watch GGG.

-Mendes sells the right fake to the body and uses that to step into southpaw

-Then Mendes comes up top with the left hook from southpaw back into orthdox

Honestly a very nice KO

You will notice Jury gets caught by the left hook as he's reaching. It's honestly hard to tell what he was reaching for. Did he think the left hook was going to the body. Was he trying to parry the left hook up top lol. Was it just a bad reaction? Only the fighter himself would know

But none the less, I just wanted to do a quick breakdown of this KO

You see the right fake to the body left hook combo up top a lot at the higher levels, but not many through shifting.

Interestingly enough, you saw Aldo try to attempt the same right fake to the body left hook up top combo against Conor

But there are levels to counter striking.

No one in the UFC - or in MMA history is - or ever has been on Conor's level of legit elite counter punching

FW just got very interesting with Mendes back in the fold

I personally think Mendes would be an absolute nightmare match up for Holloway. The level changing. His lower center of gravity to get in on his hips. His striking and submissions etc.

Conor is the only one who has ever made Mendes look bad on the feet. People simply forget just how next level Matrix Conor is

Mendes vs Ortega would also be interesting

Very nice KO by Mendes.
giphy.gif

Lol the guy who was out struck by Bisping

UnawareBowedChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

Look how Anderson throws himself completely off balance with a pathetic right hook response. Great counter striker btw.

Anderson also couldn't lead. Anderson never had the skill or set ups to actually draw opponents out. He simply relied on countering brawlers who rushed in at him.

Conor is so much more advanced it's not even funny. Anderson was rudimentary with his actual boxing skill as well

All the fighters in MMA prior to Conor who people use to think were good counter punchers, none of them were actually any good by actual boxing standards. Conor came along and brought real boxing skill by actual boxing standards into MMA. We have never seen Conor's level of boxing skill in MMA ever at the championship level
kill yourself ts

Let’s use 40 year old Anderson as an example and ignore the reign of terror and completely unmatched dominance that was him at his prime.

Well done anti-logic.

ts is 16 man... he didnt experience

I'd like to add to the breakdown actually.

Shifting, while it is helpful in covering distance against an evading opponent and it adds power to one's punches, also makes one highly vulnerable to a counterstrike.

@ ts, Chad was not shifting, nor coming forward at Conor when he got TKO'd he was backing away from him after he started gassing from fighting on two weeks notice with a wrestle-heavy game plan.

I am guessing Myles backed away in fear of a takedown, given that Chad is one of the most explosive wrestlers at FW. However, had he circled out and threw a counter shot at Chad while Chad was stepping forward, it could have ended badly for Chad.

Overall, shifting is a good technique but it must be used sparingly to prevent a devastating counter from the opponent.

Also, I have seen Golovkin fight live, and his granite chin is a key attribute that allows him to get away with this technique as much as he does.

A final note: though shifting is rarely used, it is mainly meant for infighting in boxing. Covering the distance from the outer range like Chad is a recipe to get KTFO against a striker with good timing, buf having the wrestling threat may have benefited him in this exchange.
Your heart is in the right place, and I appreciate the effort to have genuine debate unlike the other trolls, but there's still a lot more you need to learn about striking. Don't worry. I got you covered: )

Consider this another mini-breakdown my friend: )

You typically want to shift from outside range into close range. The point is to cover distance and carry momentum with your punches

I will give you examples of when shifting is bad

When you shift too in close you run the risk of getting caught as your feet are parallel inbetween the stance shift

As seen here
giphy.gif

That's actually one of Tony's biggest flaws

Tony will constantly lead with the uppercut into southpaw and right hook back into orthodox

Not only is leading with an uppercut typically a no no, but Tony constantly shifts too in close and gets countered inbetween his shift as his feet are parallel.

Now this isnt shifting per say as shifting involves going forward, but here we see Wonderboy get caught changing stances being too close in

ellenberger-kd-thompson.gif

We see Wonderboy step back with a left hand from southpaw, into orthodox

To now get off his 1-2 from orthdox like he wanted to, allows Ellenburger to get the drop on Wonderboy

Ellenburger caught Wonderboy switching stances right in front of him. Wonderboy was in a vulnerable position after switching stances (feet nearly parallel)

He had slipped to the inside of Wonderboy's jab and countered with the overhand before Wonderboy could get his 1-2 off (beating Wonderboy's right hand with his right hand)

That stance shift cost him those valuable seconds. He stepped right into the counter as he was vulnerable/out of position etc

You dont want to switch stances in front of your opponent or mid-exchange

GM_20170919_215755.gif

Conor rocked Floyd via countering Floyd after shifting

Notice how after Conor right hooks the body, Conor pivots to change up the positioning/angle, thus forcing Floyd to turn to Conor with his right hand. Conor has the advantage.

Conor bends at the waist to his left and easily ducks the right hand. However off Floyd's right hand miss, Floyd steps into southpaw and tries to suprise Conor with a southpaw left as Conor comes up from his bend. Conor then meets Floyd's left with a counter left and the collision rocks Floyd

Now in Floyd's instance, that was actually a case of doing it at the right time where it couldve turned out great

You want to shift off a miss, and try to step in and land on the follow up off of the miss, to suprise etc.

GGG always does this. If you duck his right lead, he simply steps into southpaw and lands a southpaw left off his right lead miss, as you don't expect that.

But Conor is slick, skilled, educated and meets Floyd's shift into a southpaw left with his own counter left

Now that Ive shown you the flaws of shifting and when not to typically shift

Heres is what Miles SHOULD have done

1. STOOD his ground, plant his feet, and counter as soon as he saw the fake to the body. But again Miles simply isn't on that level

2. Stepped in with Mendes as he shifted and SMOOTHERED him.

The last thing you want to do is give any kind of ground and allow the opponent to cover that distance and build that momentum

He simply didn't have fast enough feet to rely on simply backing out of range

Or maybe If he were smart enough to expect the left hook and not reach for it, bend at the waist and avoid the left hook etc

Mendes: "Do you even know what wrestling is?"
McGregor: "(thinks for a second) I could rest my balls on your forehead."

Edit: The comments there are gold:

"LMFAO. The Irish may have a champion one day. It won't be this guy though."

'Aldo has consistently beaten fighters of much better quality than any one of conors opponents. Wake up you idiots. Jump off the hype train before it crashes. Aldo wants this fight now so he can get paid before someone else beats conor."

'that's my point. Dustin is another over hyped 25 year old fans favourite.
The only other guy Connor's fought in the top 15 took him the distance. Knocking out bums means nothing." (note: that "bum" was Max Holloway and Dustin Porier has gone an impressive 14-4 in the UFC)

"Edger will take him took the ground and pound him out."

"Mcgregor hasn't been matched with a wrestler because dana knows it will stop this money train in its tracks. people like mendes and Edgar are a match up nightmare for mcgregor. They will milk his run for all its worth. That's why he was paired up with mediocre strikers with no ground game and didn't even have to fight anyone in the top 5 to get a title shot"

What a great snapshot in time!

{<huh}

Mendes was thrashing Conor but gassed out because he took the fight on a weeks notice.
A life long wrestler who on paper was the worst possible match up in terms of skills, gassing out against a fighter who is notoriously known for bad cardio... ? Would you seriously favoure Mendez in a rematch?

i did, you turned it into a conor thread.

i'm a conor nuthugger but man, you might need some help.
Clearly you didn't read the thread if that's all you got out of it.

Honestly, what's you're problem with me? You constantly harass me

Last edited:
Aldo tried that against Conor

13-sec-ko.gif

<mma3>
Yep. Exactly

It was only natural for me to point this out, yet some how the trolls are just going off the wall with all kinds of other non sense

People just can't accept Conor is simply on another level. As they say the truth offends

Last edited:
TJ Dillashaw, Chas's long time training partner, is a MASTER at this.

Check out his fights with Barao, he threw combos with multiple strikes (including kicks) from each stance in the same combo, Barao didn't know which way to block and got pieced up.

Why does everything get some dipshit name now? Just call it a cross-step like a normal person.

Back