A Linguistic Explanation of Mackenzie Dern's Accent

WaylonMercy5150

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Many of my fellow sherdoggers love to make fun and ridicule Mackenzie's accent as being fake or disingenuous. Consider this, if you are a native English speaker around a group of non English speakers and you are fluent in their language you would just speak that right? Possibly not.

Mackenzie may spend most of her time around Brazilians who are not speaking Portuguese but instead they are speaking broken English. Also, Mackenzie may not be actually "fluent" in Portuguese. So, if Mackenzie spends most of her days around people speaking broken English wouldn't she not have to communicate mostly in the same sort of way?

Ms. Dern likely speaks most of her English to people who don't understand it that well so she has to dumb it down a bit. This and the fact that her father whom she was raised by likely spoke this type of broken English should explain why Ms. Dern continues to speak in this variation of English even when it isn't necessary.

Not only did she develop an accent overnight but her grammar got considerably worse and she seemed to forget some pretty basic verbs.

Hmmmmm

She has been recorded speaking with a fairly normal "American" accent, then after that has seemed to speak increasingly like a Brazilian who has limited English ability and an increasingly heavy Brazilian accent.

Linguistically explain that.

The only possible explanations I see are:

1) Trying to come off as more "ethnic" to appeal to the diversity fad

2) trying not to seem like a "gringo" to the BJJ scene including Brazilians who may know her thru her father

Either way she seems to be faking it and acting/portraying herself to be something other than American, which iirc is where she grew up and spent most of her life.

I have a few cousins who were adopted, 2 from Ecuador, 1 from Italy, 1 from Canada. They have gone to visit the places they were adopted from and have spent time among people from those area.

They are all straight up American as fuck. No accent, dress like people from where they live and where they grew up, talk with an accent that matches where they grew up.

I have friends whose parents speak a different language at home, but who grew up speaking English with friends at school.
NO ACCENT whatsoever apart from normal inflection typical of where I live.

There is no reason someone born and raised speaking English amongst native English speakers in America would suddenly develop a heavy accent and begin to forget rudimentary grammar. No rational reason at least.

Last edited:
Not only did she develop an accent overnight but her grammar got considerably worse and she seemed to forget some pretty basic verbs.

Hmmmmm
I spoke shitty English when I lived in Poland cuz no one spoke any

I spoke shitty English when I lived in Poland cuz no one spoke any
Well, I lived in Spain for a while and never forgot how to speak English.
And she went from one year to the next and forgot her grammar.
I don’t buy it

Meh who gives a shit?

You're right though, surround yourself with the lame and you'll develop a limp.

I don’t buy it

Even if she's completely faking it, who cares?

I don’t buy it
I never forgot either but maybe you speak Spanish, I spoke no Polish so I spoke bad English for 2 years

Many of my fellow sherdoggers love to make fun and ridicule Mackenzie's accent as being fake or disingenuous. Consider this, if you are a native English speaker around a group of non English speakers and you are fluent in their language you would just speak that right? Possibly not.

Mackenzie may spend most of her time around Brazilians who are not speaking Portuguese but instead they are speaking broken English. Also, Mackenzie may not be actually "fluent" in Portuguese. So, if Mackenzie spends most of her days around people speaking broken English wouldn't she not have to communicate mostly in the same sort of way?

Ms. Dern likely speaks most of her English to people who don't understand it that well so she has to dumb it down a bit. This and the fact that her father whom she was raised by likely spoke this type of broken English should explain why Ms. Dern continues to speak in this variation of English even when it isn't necessary.

Lol this is not a linguistic explanation, just a bunch of excuses that don't make a lot of sense.

Back