A Guide to Dealing with Southpaws

Been dropped plenty of times from livershots as a southpaw. Never been dropped from a livershot as an orthodox (The joys of being ambidextrous and training 12 years as a orthodox and 4 years as a southpaw.

How do you get to the liver vs a southpaw?

Will the straight right hit it? Left kook? How do you get to it best?

How do you get to the liver vs a southpaw?

Will the straight right hit it? Left kook? How do you get to it best?

Left hook is far easier. Straight right is harder because they tend to angle their bodies away, so you're best to slip under their jab and hit them with a left hook

Left hook is far easier. Straight right is harder because they tend to angle their bodies away, so you're best to slip under their jab and hit them with a left hook

But dont the ribs protect it on that side?

Isnt the right hook or right shovel hook the best choice?

But dont the ribs protect it on that side?

Isnt the right hook or right shovel hook the best choice?

Like I mention in the article, the liver is underneath the pectoral, its not really covered by the ribcage either side, and the bit of rib that does cover it won't protect you from the shock of the blow. I personally like a lead uppercut if I'm orthodox for it - but hooks work fine

Like I mention in the article, the liver is underneath the pectoral, its not really covered by the ribcage either side, and the bit of rib that does cover it won't protect you from the shock of the blow. I personally like a lead uppercut if I'm orthodox for it - but hooks work fine

So basically as far as targets are concerned orthodox actually have the advantage against southpaws, the liver is in a worse position and everything else is equal. But in reality the experience advantage of the southpaw is a much greater advantage than anything the average orthodox fighter has.

As per usual southpaws win.

But every orthodox fighter should learn how to get to that closer liver that should be a major priority along with the basic strategies.

Also perhaps the orthodox fighter should try to employ a strategy the southpaw is not used to, to negate their experience advantage a bit. Like circling the other way around and fighting a more orthodox way like pacman does in reverse

I tell you fighting sports are full of southpaw champions that dont deserve their number 1 spots they have an unfair advantage they are not the best men they are the most advantaged men.

Back