A Guide to Dealing with Southpaws

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm at it again. This is my most recent guide on strategies to deal with southpaws. Alternatively you can view it as how to fight if you are a southpaw.

Hope you guys find it beneficiary.

Southpaws: A Cheat Sheet To Defeat The Elite
sean-teep-joey-msg.jpg

If you train for any length of time, eventually the day will come when you face a southpaw.

They’re a confusing breed of creature; everything they throw seems so backward to you. Not only that, but they’re entirely used to fighting orthodox fighters like you. They’ve got far more experience dealing with you, than you have dealing with them.

So how do you beat a southpaw?

Allow me to betray all my fellow southpaws by giving away our secrets. The way to fight a southpaw is far easier than some folks make it out to be. Everything that a southpaw does to you, you can do right back to them.

There is a lot to touch on, but for now let’s get to a central concept: the location of the liver.

Liver Logistics
The liver is the most important organ to understand in an open guard (southpaw vs. orthodox) match-up.

The liver sits underneath your right pectoral, just below your rib cage. Strikes to it can be absolutely debilitating — some say even deadly.

The southpaw can target your liver very easily with a powerful left kick to the body. The downside is that if the southpaw wants to hit the liver with a punch, they need to pivot outside and throw long hooks to the body.

On the other hand, if an orthodox fighter wishes to strike the same region, he can do it more or less the same way as he would against an orthodox fighter, albeit from a more awkward angle.

Remember the liver.

Fluid Footwork
The first thing to understand about fighting in the open guard is understanding the footwork.

You will often be advised to circle away from your opponent’s lead hand. In an open guard match, this means that the orthodox fighter needs to circle in the direction opposite of his normal movement. This prevents his opponent from circling headlong into the southpaw’s left hand and left body kick.

Stepping outside of the opponent’s lead leg to throw a rear straight is the best way to counter your opponents jab. When you step to the outside, you set in motion two actions:

1. You bring your rear shoulder directly in front of your opponent’s face
  2. It shortens the path that the hand needs to take in order to find the chin
This also brings your opponent’s body closer to your rear leg. This means that your kick will meet your opponent’s gut in the middle of its arc. While a step in before a body kick is not necessary, it is certainly beneficial if you’re looking to pack more power into that kick.

Knowing when to step to the power side or step straight forward is mandatory for winning a fight in open guard. If you constantly step towards a southpaw’s right side, eventually he’ll use the opportunity to slam your spleen with switch kicks. Alternatively, he’ll let you step outside his lead foot and use that inside angle to land a lead hook.

121.jpg

(TL) Kaew Fairtex takes a deep step past his opponent’s lead leg and into his blind side. (TR) This angle is only available in open stance match ups. (BL) He uses this moment to catch his opponent with a left kick as they turn. (BR) He then resets ready to exchange again.

Alternate Angles
Let’s elaborate on the inside angle. When a southpaw is looking to land a lead hook and wants to take an angle to do so, he has two ways of going about it:

1. Take an outside angle, pivot around, and throw a hook from the opponent’s blind spot
  2. Step inside the opponent’s lead foot
The latter options brings the lead hand directly in front of the centreline, allowing the jab or lead hook to easily land without having to worry about a counter right. In boxing, this was how Miguel Cotto decked Sergio Martinez multiple times.

When your opponent steps outside your lead foot in punching range, he will always give up a potential inside angle to do so. This means that if you time it right, you can step straight in with a hook or jab.

______________________________________​

In the rest of the article I go over southpaw jabs, teeps and frames!

Full article can be found here:
http://www.muay-thai-guy.com/dismantle-the-sneaky-southpaw.html

This feels like a trap, like a global secret society of freak paws got together and put this out so regular people will take the bait and fall victim to something strange

Good stuff

Nice article, but i still don't like you.

A very simplistic rule for beginners that i was taught when starting was:

When you fight opposite stance, if you are inside their lead leg, use mostly straight strikes with your front foot/hand: Jab, lead teep. Those are in direct path with his center.
If he keeps stepping to the outside, lead hook, lead foot roundhouse or switch.

When you are in the outside, use rear hand/foot mostly for any type of strikes...

You kind of say those thinks but you use to many fancy words that are confusing for us with brain damage...

I'm a southpaw so I can say with medical certainty that my liver sits under my left pectoral just under the ribs just like every other left handed fighter.

So everyone reading this- don't listen to TS about where the liver is. Nope. And don't punch or kick us in on that lead side. Ok? Ok. Good.

Basically southpaws have the advantage and this doesn't help at all because everything they do you do, but they are better at it due to experience. So southpaws win.

The liver, ive never seen southpaws go down from a liver shot from an orthdox fighter, isnt it better protected up frot since its awkward to get to even if it is closer?

1) Switch stance and go southpaw yourself
2) This reduces everything to a previously solved problem

Bonus: confuses the heck out of most southpaws since they're not used to fighting other southpaws

Bonus: confuses the heck out of most southpaws since they're not used to fighting other southpaws
This.

For some odd reason being in SP I'm alot more balanced and my strikes from there are heaps stronger than my regular stance (orth). I'm told it could be my hips on the other side is more flexible; So I've been playing with it, and it fucked with 2 of our top guys (SPs) since they weren't used to it, and me being in it was weird to them as well. Took them about near a min before going back on offense.

From what I hear, SP's avoid sparring each other like a whore with aids

I always get so confused reading about southpaw vs orthodox matchups lol. Quick question, what is an open guard in this sense? Just same side stance (ortho vs southpaw)?

Nice stuff man! Taking the inside angle and throwing the hook is a very nice move that is not used enough and I really liked the part about same side, opposite side double attacks as well. Btw, Sittichai might be my favourite Thai/Glory fighter atm.

A straight followed by a kick on the same side in this matchup is a dangerous one. As you said, if you manage to slip the straight, watch out. So many southpaws do it and even if you know it's coming, if they time you right it's night night.

The Fedor counter is a classic. A lowkick is also easier to throw and land for us non-flexible (and terrible) kickers, so that's good news.

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to delving into more detailed pieces!

I always get so confused reading about southpaw vs orthodox matchups lol. Quick question, what is an open guard in this sense? Just same side stance (ortho vs southpaw)?

Nice stuff man! Taking the inside angle and throwing the hook is a very nice move that is not used enough and I really liked the part about same side, opposite side double attacks as well. Btw, Sittichai might be my favourite Thai/Glory fighter atm.

A straight followed by a kick on the same side in this matchup is a dangerous one. As you said, if you manage to slip the straight, watch out. So many southpaws do it and even if you know it's coming, if they time you right it's night night.

The Fedor counter is a classic. A lowkick is also easier to throw and land for us non-flexible (and terrible) kickers, so that's good news.

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to delving into more detailed pieces!

Open guard = southpaw vs orthodox :)

Thanks man, I'm glad you like it :D

Incidentally left straight, into the left body kick (without pulling the arm back) is a go to move for mine.

Also in response to aerius - I actually wouldn't recommend switching to southpaw personally. It sounds great in theory because you're doing everything the same as normal but flipped round but the co-ordination you'd have in your other stance isn't going to be anywhere near as good - it can be very clumsy like trying to write with your other hand - especially when you're actually in the middle of a fight.

If you're someone that switches stance a lot, then I agree it's a decent idea but for the average guy I think its a lot safer to just learn those techniques in order to fight as opposed to trying to learn everything you've done backwards.

Its understandable to think that a southpaw doesn't fall for their own tactics, but this is demonstrably not true. Otherwise men like Sergio Martinez and Manny Pacquaio wouldn't be beaten by fighters who knew how to fight southpaws with some of the techniques that I mention.

This.

For some odd reason being in SP I'm alot more balanced and my strikes from there are heaps stronger than my regular stance (orth). I'm told it could be my hips on the other side is more flexible; So I've been playing with it, and it fucked with 2 of our top guys (SPs) since they weren't used to it, and me being in it was weird to them as well. Took them about near a min before going back on offense.

I have a lot of trouble with other southpaws, the distance is a lot closer and I don't like it. I try not to avoid other southpaws - although I'm not a fighter so I probably have a good excuse not to torture myself.

One of the benefits of TMA's is that your learn to fight in both stances...But on the other hand, they don't have complex tactics/strategies depending on your opponent stance, since he also fight's like that, switching and mixing it in the match.

TKD ITF has helped me a huge deal with that, even if I'm a righty, i love to fight as a south paw, and i 'm comfortable with it. And i love to mix it up once in a while during the fight, to mess with my opponents plan. When I feel, or my trainers sees, that he is getting used to my stance, we change it.

One of the benefits of TMA's is that your learn to fight in both stances...But on the other hand, they don't have complex tactics/strategies depending on your opponent stance, since he also fight's like that, switching and mixing it in the match.

TKD ITF has helped me a huge deal with that, even if I'm a righty, i love to fight as a south paw, and i 'm comfortable with it. And i love to mix it up once in a while during the fight, to mess with my opponents plan. When I feel, or my trainers sees, that he is getting used to my stance, we change it.

That's pretty cool! I tend to have go to moves from orthodox, like the left body hook and right low kick, but I'm not super comfortable doing entire rounds as it - I sort of switch with movement to land certain shots, mainly from ripping off Max Holloway - and then ripping off Miguel Cotto

That's pretty cool! I tend to have go to moves from orthodox, like the left body hook and right low kick, but I'm not super comfortable doing entire rounds as it - I sort of switch with movement to land certain shots, mainly from ripping off Max Holloway - and then ripping off Miguel Cotto

These days being ambidextrous is kicking off, and while I do feel alot stronger in SP, I've come to accept I'm orthodox and will use a SP stance for certain attacks.

Aside from moving, standing, striking. I'd have to get used to getting hit on the opposite side. Did it with one of the more exp'd fighters, and a solid leg kick nearly dumped me on my ass

Funny thing is, that I don't only use different techniques, combos when switching stance, but my style is quite different. In southpaw i play mostly with speed, trying to hurt him before he hurts me.
In a regular stance, it's more about hurting him more than he hurts me, my game is then more about power...

1) Switch stance and go southpaw yourself
2) This reduces everything to a previously solved problem

This.

This is what Terrance Crawford does and it's worked out for him very very well. He recently got a bodyshot KO over julius indongo that was pretty slick as well.

tumblr_ouyt62rnGv1rofocqo1_500.gif

Basically southpaws have the advantage and this doesn't help at all because everything they do you do, but they are better at it due to experience. So southpaws win.

The liver, ive never seen southpaws go down from a liver shot from an orthdox fighter, isnt it better protected up frot since its awkward to get to even if it is closer?

One of my best training partners is a southpaw, when we're sparring hard it's usually the livershot that hurts him. He's tall and lanky, so it's a bit more open, but my primary weapons to the body (lead hook and right straight to the solar plexus) tend to do the most damage.

Good stuff. I really like the inside angle counter, so often people try to reduce the matchup to 'get your lead foot outside his', but you can eat people up with the inside angle counter. GDR really tore Holly Holme up with the inside angle counters, for example. I actually really enjoy fighting against southpaws, mostly because I love entering clinches with that rear leg knee having a clean path directly to his sternum.

This is what Terrance Crawford does and it's worked out for him very very well. He recently got a bodyshot KO over julius indongo that was pretty slick as well.

tumblr_ouyt62rnGv1rofocqo1_500.gif

Crawford is such a badass. I really hope he ends up fighting Lomachenko. That would be an amazing fight.

One of my best training partners is a southpaw, when we're sparring hard it's usually the livershot that hurts him. He's tall and lanky, so it's a bit more open, but my primary weapons to the body (lead hook and right straight to the solar plexus) tend to do the most damage.

any footage ?

Been dropped plenty of times from livershots as a southpaw. Never been dropped from a livershot as an orthodox (The joys of being ambidextrous and training 12 years as a orthodox and 4 years as a southpaw.

Back