A Case for Atomweights in the UFC

leto1776

Sherdog Wet Shaver
Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:
UFC would ruin it like everything they get their bony hands on

Let RIZIN and ROAD take care of them

I would like that. It is one of the most stacked WMMA divisions. Didn't watch video.

Edit: This is all assuming they have their own promotion btw. Not UFC. But if they are going to force it on us they might as well have the good girls.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I think women's atomweight should have been one of the first women's divisions in the UFC. It generally has had--as a whole division--a solid reputation for scrappy fights and crowd-pleasing fighters.

The first women's mma fight that I can remember becoming virally famous on the internet for its blood-shed was at atomweight...

540201_281624048596976_1716299326_n.0.jpg

Number of UFC fights in 2017
Women's Featherweight: 3
Women's Bantamweight: 15
*Women's Flyweight: 11
Women's Strawweight: 34

*Note: Inaugural Women's Flyweight Champion was crowned in December of 2017.

There are probably more women who exist closer to Atomweight than say Featherweight and Bantamweight, though I'd be concerned how introducing that division would affect Strawweight.

Fk no and fk WMMA. No more of this pathetic crap. All you limp wrist fans of it need to break off and build Invicta back up to something no one will watch... again.

though I'd be concerned how introducing that division would affect Strawweight.

I don't think introducing an atomweight division would have much, if any, bad effect on the UFC strawweight division. 10 lbs is quite a big difference in bodyweight when talking total bodyweights of only 105/115 lbs. It's a much larger handicap for such a small fighter to fight one division up from ideal, compared to heavier fighters doing so.

Fighters who should ideally be fighting at atomweight will probably not do nearly so well fighting at strawweight. Waterson and Penne were both Invicta FC atomweight champs, but have fallen short as strawweights in the UFC. Recently, Invicta FC atomweight champ Ayaka Hamasaki fought and lost to the Invicta FC strawweight champ, something I suspect Hamasaki only tried because she wanted a way into the UFC and knew she couldn't get there as an atomweight. Seo Hee Ham was badly out-sized in the UFC strawweight division, but is now an exciting atomweight champ outside of the UFC. Fighters who can fight at atomweight probably should fight at atomweight. And there should be a place for the best of these in the UFC.

Last edited:
Number of UFC fights in 2017
Women's Featherweight: 3
Women's Bantamweight: 15
*Women's Flyweight: 11
Women's Strawweight: 34

*Note: Inaugural Women's Flyweight Champion was crowned in December of 2017.

There are probably more women who exist closer to Atomweight than say Featherweight and Bantamweight, though I'd be concerned how introducing that division would affect Strawweight.

Little to no effect on strawweight. Only two fighters on the current roster (Waterson, Penne) have fought at Atomweight before.

I don't think introducing an atomweight division would have much, if any, bad effect on the UFC strawweight division. 10 lbs is quite a big difference in bodyweight when talking total bodyweights of only 105/115 lbs. It's a much larger handicap for such a small fighter to fight one division up from ideal, compared to heavier fighters doing so.

Fighters who should ideally be fighting at atomweight will probably not do nearly so well fighting at strawweight. Waterson and Penne were both Invicta FC atomweight champs, but have fallen short as strawweights in the UFC. Recently, Invicta FC atomweight champ Ayaka Hamasaki fought and lost to the Invicta FC strawweight champ, something I suspect Hamasaki only tried because she wanted a way into the UFC and knew she couldn't get there as an atomweight. Seo Hee Ham was badly out-sized in the UFC strawweight division, but is now an exciting atomweight champ outside of the UFC. Fighters who can fight at atomweight probably should fight at atomweight. And there should be a place for the best of these in the UFC.

Well put.

UFC Atomweight's coming soon! It'll have incredible depth, just like all the other WMMA division's....

Atomweights girls are hot and there are a lot of them, so I'm all for it. AW men, though... never!

Back