88 year old man eats 25 eggs per day

Eggs modulate the inflammatory response to carbohydrate restricted diets in overweight men

Joseph C Ratliff , Gisella Mutungi , Michael J Puglisi , Jeff S Volek and Maria Luz Fernandez
Nutrition & Metabolism 2008, 5:6doi:10.1186/1743-7075-5-6

Published: 20 February 2008 Abstract (provisional)

Background

Carbohydrate restricted diets (CRD) consistently lower glucose and insulin levels and improve atherogenic dyslipidemia [decreasing triglycerides and increasing HDL cholesterol (HDL-C)]. We have previously shown that male subjects following a CRD experienced significant increases in HDL-C only if they were consuming a higher intake of cholesterol provided by eggs compared to those individuals who were taking lower concentrations of dietary cholesterol. Here, as a follow up of our previous study, we examined the effects of eggs (a source of both dietary cholesterol and lutein) on adiponectin, a marker of insulin sensitivity, and on inflammatory markers in the context of a CRD.
Methods

Twenty eight overweight men [body mass index (BMI) 26-37 kg/m2] aged 40-70 y consumed an ad libitum CRD (% energy from CHO:fat:protein = 17:57:26) for 12 wk. Subjects were matched by age and BMI and randomly assigned to consume eggs (EGG, n=15) (640 mg additional cholesterol/day provided by eggs) or placebo (SUB, n=13) (no additional dietary cholesterol). Fasting blood samples were drawn before and after the intervention to assess plasma lipids, insulin, adiponectin and markers of inflammation including C-reactive protein (CRP), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-I+/-), interleukin-8 (IL-8), monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1), intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1), and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1(VCAM-1).
Results

Body weight, percent total body fat and trunk fat were reduced for all subjects after 12 wk (P < 0.0001). Increases in adiponectin were also observed (P < 0.01). Subjects in the EGG group had a 21% increase in this adipokine compared to a 7% increase in the SUB group (P < 0.05). Plasma CRP was significantly decreased only in the EGG group (P < 0.05). MCP-1 levels were decreased for the SUB group (P< 0.001), but unchanged in the EGG group. VCAM-1, ICAM-1, TNF-alpha and IL-8 were not modified by CRD or eggs.
Conclusions

A CRD with daily intake of eggs decreased plasma CRP and increased plasma adiponectin compared to a CRD without eggs. These findings indicate that eggs make a significant contribution to the anti-inflammatory effects of CRD, possibly due to the presence of cholesterol, which increases HDL-C and to the antioxidant lutein which modulates certain inflammatory responses.

So this is a good thing, right?

Yah mon. Hooray eggs!

Hooray!

The incredible, edible Egg!

egg1.jpg

I remember this article from years ago. I'm pretty sure it was used in that Protein Power book as well.

man i need to eat more eggs

always afraid of the cholesterol, but i guess it was all a lie

where did the myth start in the first place?

I love eggs, one of my favorite foods.

I average 4 whole eggs a day for the past 5 years at least.

Me and my roomate each eat around 12-16 eggs a day each. Cheap delicious protein. Sprinkle your eggs with cinnamon and splenda/sugar/whatever you use and put some natty peanut butter on top, youll thank me for your new favorite high protein, lower carb, good fats meal

You guys eat a lot of eggs. I usually just have one in the morning with toast.

i used to eat 6 eggs every morning for breakfast. it was pleasurable.

EGGS EGGS EGGS EGGS.

I dont know if I could eat 25 a day but I do enjoy me 2 or 3 scrambled eggs every now and then :D

Back