62 fighters have missed weight since early weigh in introduced.

Im not sure where mike is getting 62 from. He must be including some doctor withdrawals in taht total.

heres the full list

DeJmg4UX4AEhdJ8

nah.. the number of people missing weight dropped considerably aftrer the iv restrictions came in

there were half the weight misses in the 8 months following the iv restrictions as opposed to the previous 8 months.
Numbers can be misleading though.

i wonder - out of those 62, how many fights still happened, and in how many did the fatty win?

Early weight cut is better since you have more time to rehydrate. Its just dummies trying to cut too much weight. Plus, win bonus being too nice, so miss weight, no big deal. What did they say 6/6 fighters missing weight this year have won? I think that means that they need to take away the win bonus from people abusing that loop hole.

Those who think it’s an organizations responsiblity to make weight cutting easier for fighters remind me of those who think the government should give out clean needles to drug users. It’s their own choice to cut massive weight, it’s not the orgs obligation to make it easier (or harder), let them deal with consequences on their own.

can you translate the ending into government needle situations .. I was really hoping for that

sounds like maybe it's not a good thing, or maybe UFC just has a bigger roster since then? Not sure if these ceremonial early weigh-ins are good anymore or if this has nothing to do with it.

the fake weigh ins are just for tv and fans.

At first, I thought early weigh-ins was just an extra option for fighters i.e. a fighter could choose the traditional weigh-in time or it could wake early and get the weigh-in over and done with. In essence, fighters will have more time to weigh-in. From the morning to the afternoon (as it was traditionally done).

Then I find out, fighters are not even getting more time to weigh-in. They just moved the weigh-in time earlier, and it seems like the weigh-in problem has worsened. LOL

Just give the fighters more time to weigh-in. From the morning to the afternoon (as it was previously done). Fighters like Dern will still miss weight. However, fighters missing weight by 5 lbs or less would probably make weight, if they were given up to the ceremonial weigh-ins to make the weight.

What exactly is stopping the suits from allowing fighters to make weight up until the ceremonial weigh-ins?

At first, I thought early weigh-ins was just an extra option for fighters i.e. a fighter could choose the traditional weigh-in time or it could wake early and get the weigh-in over and done with. In essence, fighters will have more time to weigh-in. From the morning to the afternoon (as it was traditionally done).

Then I find out, fighters are not even getting more time to weigh-in. They just moved the weigh-in time earlier, and it seems like the weigh-in problem has worsened. LOL

Just give the fighters more time to weigh-in. From the morning to the afternoon (as it was previously done). Fighters like Dern will still miss weight. However, fighters missing weight by 5 lbs or less would probably make weight, if they were given up to the ceremonial weigh-ins to make the weight.

What exactly is stopping the suits from allowing fighters to make weight up until the ceremonial weigh-ins?
you can't dehydrate an extra 5lbs after you have already been cutting all week.

you can't dehydrate an extra 5lbs after you have already been cutting all week.
The 5lb is not a solid number. I used it to be more specific instead of making a general statement like "fighters who didn't miss weight by much." So, don't get hung on "5lbs." For example, if a fighter comes in at 173 (for whatever reason), are you telling me it won't be able to make 171, if it was given until the ceremonial weigh-ins to make the weight (and it knew this was an option all through training camp)? I believe some fighters would be able to make it.

Even if some fighters don't, what do we have in place right now to mitigate the missing-weight issue? I am not making these posts from an "I am an all knowing god and I have all the answers" perspective. I am just brainstorming potential solutions.

If the UFC is not going to adopt the ONE FC model, then they have to think something, because missing-weight seems to be trending (or that is how the fan-base is perceiving, who knows what the numbers will tell).

The 5lb is not a solid number. I used it to be more specific instead of making a general statement like "fighters who didn't miss weight by much." So, don't get hung on "5lbs." For example, if a fighter comes in at 173 (for whatever reason), are you telling me it won't be able to make 171, if it was given until the ceremonial weigh-ins to make the weight (and it knew this was an option all through training camp)? I believe some fighters would be able to make it.

Even if some fighters don't, what do we have in place right now to mitigate the missing-weight issue? I am not making these posts from an "I am an all knowing god and I have all the answers" perspective. I am just brainstorming potential solutions.

If the UFC is not going to adopt the ONE FC model, then they have to think something, because missing-weight seems to be trending (or that is how the fan-base is perceiving, who knows what the numbers will tell).
i get your point. but i'm a big believer that ufc should have similar weight in policies as one fc.

one could argue that perhaps some of these fighters are attempting even bigger weight cuts since the early weigh in allows them added time to rehydrate and recover if successful

Those who think it’s an organizations responsiblity to make weight cutting easier for fighters remind me of those who think the government should give out clean needles to drug users. It’s their own choice to cut massive weight, it’s not the orgs obligation to make it easier (or harder), let them deal with consequences on their own.
Yea if you could curb the spread of fatal diseases, why would anyone do that?

Kinda obvious early weigh in isnt a good idea. Either follow the solution to weighr cutting that one fc has or something similar, or just embrace extreme weight cutting and be open about it.

nah.. the number of people missing weight dropped considerably aftrer the iv restrictions came in

there were half the weight misses in the 8 months following the iv restrictions as opposed to the previous 8 months.

DWDBmpEX0AAF4TO
Would be nice to see it go back a bit further - it may be more convincing then

Back