Fightmetric stats are not facts

lalaland

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

To all the tards out there who take fightmetric stats as gospel. First of all, they're not accurate. Secondly, they have very little value in judging the outcome of a fight or round.

Unless they're watching in super slo-mo, they are no more qualified than the average, long term fan, imo.

Okey so UFC stats are same as fight metrics stats, so can I say stats given by UFC are not valueable?
I mean we live in 2018, how hard is to give correct stats after fight?
Is MMA serious sport?

To all the tards out there who take fightmetric stats as gospel. First of all, they're not accurate. Secondly, they have very little value in judging the outcome of a fight or round.

What if the fellow pressing the button presses a little bit extra? And maybe sneezes during the peaceful pressing-session?

Might even be faulty stats, like a takedown that was never there etc.

Strikes are bound to be missed as well by a random TV-guy.

Okey so UFC stats are same as fight metrics stats, so can I say stats given by UFC are not valueable?
I mean we live in 2018, how hard is to give correct stats after fight?
Is MMA serious sport?

A correct tally is one thing. Significance and weight scoring are completely subjective..even in 2018

Well, that's why it's broken down by strikes and significant strikes and its up to judges to get it right......which shouldn't be a difficult thing.
This isn't calculus or advanced mathematical theories

I dunno how FightMetric has been handling the stats since they became the official UFC stat provider (you would think they're more thorough now, but it doesn't seem like it) but prior to that they gave more detailed stat reports that actually showed some context of the strikes landed, even if it wasn't perfect. Nowadays people just look at the number, and whoever's is highest wins...unless it belongs to the person they didn't think won. I dunno if it's changed, but last I heard Rami Genauer (the founder of FightMetric) break it down, a significant strike is literally any strike that lands flush and is of some consequence, and insignificant strikes essentially don't matter. So that means if you land 20 solid jabs but your opponent lands 15 hard hooks the significant strikes stats will just say you outlanded your opponent 20 to 15 and give no indication of the quality of strikes. To get that you need to watch and pay attention to the fight. I believe this definition of a sig strike came out of the difficulty of truly determining what is "significant," so they simplified the meaning, but pre-UFC FightMetric would specify between "jab" and "power" strikes.

Unless they're watching in super slo-mo, they are no more qualified than the average, long term fan, imo.
Again I dunno if this has changed, but prior to working with the UFC they would re-watch the fights in slow-mo and assign a person to each fighter in a bout to try and get accurate stats. I heard some time ago that for UFC broadcasts they have people watching the fights and hitting buttons like Rogan apparently said, but post-fight they have people re-watch the fight in slow-mo to adjust the numbers if needed. They seem to put less focus on the stats in broadcasts than they used to, but back when they really leaned on them, the final stats when you checked the FightMetric site would often be different from what they showed on the broadcast.

Ultimately, the stats are a tool and shouldn't be used as an end-all, be-all argument for who won a fight. They can only be trusted to tell a part of the story, even if the numbers are 100% accurate.

Is MMA serious sport?

J640.gif

I’m fine with the decision I felt wonderboy won 3-2 but I can see someone givibg Till 2 of the rounds based on the closeness and Till being the aggressor and Till obviously won the final round. The judges that judged the fight 49-46 shouldn’t be judging fights in my opinion.

Who cares. That fight sucked no one deserved the win. Stop playing Patty cake and fight. Colby bless

Numbers are meaningless without context. A lot of Till's strikes were glancing due to WB's movement, why count them the same as a clean flush shot?

Striking landing there pretty decent for, the issue tends to be more that simple stats don't tell you the power of those strikes.

Till/Thompson though was I think a good fight to look at stats in as both guys were throwing pretty similar strikes, unlike say Lawler/Condit were one guy was throwing much harder strikes than the other.

All I know is, till landed 2 strikes that had a definite effect on WB. First that kick to the leg...causing wb to not only back away but switch stances..his leg buckled...then the knockdown in the final round...while wb never landed anything of significance in the entire fight.

Totally agree.
And hate hearing about those stats afterwards.

I saw a fight a while back with a definite kneebar attempt, but it was not entered by Fightmetric.

we pointfightning now, bitches!

it took a while, but mma has finally achieved the pinnacle of krotty/tkd.

Part of the scoring criteria should be like coursage with wild sloppiness losing points and technical brilliance getting more points. Special moves like a triple hadouken should should be what fighters should be aiming for

Till - 38 of 126 total + 1 knock down + octagon control = WINNER
Rd 1 - 4
Rd 2 - 9
Rd 3 - 9
Rd 4 - 7
Rd 5 - 9

Thompson - 30 of 126 total
Rd 1 - 5
Rd 2 - 6
Rd 3 - 8
Rd 4 - 8
Rd 5 - 3

2, 3, 5 Till. The better fighter won. Get over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back