is Thompson a One Dimensional Fighter/Striker?

• Thread starter Deleted member 391673
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 391673

i think so.

no clinch/cage work, no threat of takedowns, no ground game, no submission game.

what about as a striker?

again, i think so.

he shows absolutely no urgency. he expects all his opponents to come forward and waits for them to over-commit so he can counter, but when his opponent doesn't over-commit he doesn't change his approach at all.

his swarming/forward aggression consists of Jab,Straight,Jab,Straight or Straight,Jab,Straight,Jab.

he basically thew only lead-leg leg kicks and straights the whole fight.

no elbows, no front kicks, no knees, no hooks, no upper-cuts. i saw maybe one or two strikes to Till's body.

it's like playing a fighting game and using 5% of the characters moveset.

he needs to change-up his strategy. maybe not even change-up, but incorporate other strategies into his game.

He has improved drastically in a lot of areas. I remember Till getting him in that Thai clinch and wonderboy punches his way out of it. The guy has other skills but focuses on using his best skills. Darren Till ain’t no bum. He was patient and really kept figuring out ways to land with the double jab and wide punches as wonderboy was retreating.

I can't stand fighters who can only lead OR counter. It's stupid.

He has zero urgency. Just keeps feinting and not committing to strikes, even in the championship rounds. The tools he has are fine, he just needs to use them about 3x as much.

He seems to have regressed as a fighter. He threw the same amount of strikes in 3 rounds against Rory as he did in 5 rounds against Till. And in the Rory fight he landed almost 4x as many significant strikes. Which is crazy because you'd think with all the complaints about his fighting style and the close decisions he'd get more aggressive, not less.

Last edited:
i wanna see someone leg kick the sh@t out of Wonderboy and stop all the hopping around

He has zero urgency. Just keeps feinting and not committing to strikes, even in the championship rounds. The tools he has are fine, he just needs to use them about 3x as much.

He seems to have regressed as a fighter. He threw the same amount of strikes in 3 rounds against Rory as he did in 5 rounds against Till. And in the Rory fight he landed almost 4x as many significant strikes. Which is crazy because you'd think with all the complaints about his fighting style and the close decisions he'd get more aggressive, not less.

it's very odd. is he thinking that he's at a point-fighting karate tournament?

he should sign up for Karate Kombate that @shadow_priest_x posted about. was that the name of the org? he'd do great at that.

it's very odd. is he thinking that he's at a point-fighting karate tournament?

Per Stephen Thompson:

“I want to have my head and my mind sharp after my fighting career. To go out there and bang with somebody like that is just too much of a risk. That’s just not my style. That’s not what I like to do. I love the point game and being able to hit you without getting hit back. Just to see you break from that and frustrate you, that’s my game.”

Source: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/St...ou-Cant-Get-It-Back-99993#hzgKvWsfPUxJOeqQ.99

he should sign up for Karate Kombate that @shadow_priest_x posted about. was that the name of the org? he'd do great at that.

He would dominate!

Per Stephen Thompson:

“I want to have my head and my mind sharp after my fighting career. To go out there and bang with somebody like that is just too much of a risk. That’s just not my style. That’s not what I like to do. I love the point game and being able to hit you without getting hit back. Just to see you break from that and frustrate you, that’s my game.”

Source: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/St...ou-Cant-Get-It-Back-99993#hzgKvWsfPUxJOeqQ.99

He would dominate!

honestly, he should consider doing that then, because if he can't get his opponent frustrated, he's in trouble.

honestly, he should consider doing that then, because if he can't get his opponent frustrated, he's in trouble.

He should've gotten the decision today.

Winning on points is a valid way to win a fight and I thought he outpointed his opponent. Much of the fight was spent with Till standing around while Wonderboy was hitting him with kicks to the body and blitz attacks to the head and body. Occasionally Till would throw something and hit the air.

The only round I thought Till clearly won was the 5th. Thompson did more than enough to get the decision, I think.

P.S. Karate Combat. Not Karate Kombate.

i think so.

no clinch/cage work, no threat of takedowns, no ground game, no submission game.

what about as a striker?

again, i think so.

he shows absolutely no urgency. he expects all his opponents to come forward and waits for them to over-commit so he can counter, but when his opponent doesn't over-commit he doesn't change his approach at all.

his swarming/forward aggression consists of Jab,Straight,Jab,Straight or Straight,Jab,Straight,Jab.

he basically thew only lead-leg leg kicks and straights the whole fight.

no elbows, no front kicks, no knees, no hooks, no upper-cuts. i saw maybe one or two strikes to Till's body.

it's like playing a fighting game and using 5% of the characters moveset.

he needs to change-up his strategy. maybe not even change-up, but incorporate other strategies into his game.
The guy that just beat him says he has never faced a striker like WB so I feel you are talking out your back passage. But yeh do what a lot of Shertards do jump on a fighter cause he lost a fight.

He should've gotten the decision today.

Winning on points is a valid way to win a fight and I thought he outpointed his opponent. Much of the fight was spent with Till standing around while Wonderboy was hitting him with kicks to the body and blitz attacks to the head and body. Occasionally Till would throw something and hit the air.

The only round I thought Till clearly won was the 5th. Thompson did more than enough to get the decision, I think.

P.S. Karate Combat. Not Karate Kombate.

you may be right, but there wasn't much damage, till always moved forward and got points of his own. and there is the obvious homecourt advantage regardless how unfair it seems.

i really didn't see much variety from him.

The guy that just beat him says he has never faced a striker like WB so I feel you are talking out your back passage. But yeh do what a lot of Shertards do jump on a fighter cause he lost a fight.

well hey, i made an observation so instead of shitting on my opinion tell me why i am wrong to think he's a one dimensional fighter, how about that?

you may be right, but there wasn't much damage, till always moved forward and got points of his own. and there is the obvious homecourt advantage regardless how unfair it seems.

i really didn't see much variety from him.

Wonderboy has a very specific way of fighting, but it's a way that's usually effective.

When he's aggressive, people go "Yeahhh, Wonderboy! Man, his style is so sick!" When he's a little more defensive it's, "Wonderboy sucks! He's so boring! He needs to change his style!"

The one thing I've noticed is that if he's going against someone who has a lot of punching power then he is very cautious. That's what we saw against Woodley and that's what we saw today against Till.

Compare those fights to some of his other matches where the threat of a one-punch KO wasn't nearly as prevalent. He opens up a lot more.

Considering the fact that he got floored both by Woodley and by Till, it makes sense that he's cautious. Some might call that fighting smart.

He outgrappled Rory MacDonald in their fight.

Saying he’s on a one dimensional striker is the stupidest thing I ever heard.he got amazing footwork,good boxing,great kicks,great countering,good precision and amazingly combo and blitz.
There’s a reason why he schooled Rory,masvidal,Hendricks and whittaker

Wonderboy has a very specific way of fighting, but it's a way that's usually effective.

When he's aggressive, people go "Yeahhh, Wonderboy! Man, his style is so sick!" When he's a little more defensive it's, "Wonderboy sucks! He's so boring! He needs to change his style!"

The one thing I've noticed is that if he's going against someone who has a lot of punching power then he is very cautious. That's what we saw against Woodley and that's what we saw today against Till.

Compare those fights to some of his other matches where the threat of a one-punch KO wasn't nearly as prevalent. He opens up a lot more.

Considering the fact that he got floored both by Woodley and by Till, it makes sense that he's cautious. Some might call that fighting smart.

so he becomes too tentative and gun shy. or, he's only able to be his 100% awesome self if his competition is not on his level.

it is fighting smart especially if his philosophy is based on the quote you posted earlier.

but he's not going to get the belt that way or hold on to it if he somehow does. and if he is getting paid 60k/60k like another poster mentioned in a different thread then he should really consider fighting for KK or RIZIN or Bellator

Back