Rickson vs Sakuraba

chamcham

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
How would it have played out if Rickson fought Sakuraba after he defeated Royce?

How would it have played out if Rickson fought Sakuraba after he defeated Royce?

Sakuraba.

I think Rickson didn't want any of Sakuraba.

I suppose his personal loss or whatever might have had impact in ONE fight falling through, but if he wanted to, he could have, and there were YEARS that they could have fought, and it most definitely didn't look like it was the money issue either.

My take on this is, if Rickson wanted this fight, he would have, outside that small window of time where he lost someone that his fans point to as a reason why he didn't. And there were many reasons, all the defeats, why Rickson would have wanted to fight Sakuraba, but he didn't.

I believe Rickson ducked Sakuraba, and I don't think Rickson would have been able to take Saku down and Rickson had no striking so.

Saku!

Screen-Shot-2017-06-25-at-7.36.04-PM.png

Difficult to say , Rickson is known as the crown jewel of the Gracie family , while Sakuraba was very unorthodox as a fighter and an excellent grappler that defeated his brothers

I'd of gone with Sakuraba by decision if he used his unique striking and takedown defence and if Rickson where to of used a Gi to fight , just like against Royce Saku would use the Gi against Rickson

However it wouldn't of surprised if Rickson won , Rickson was simply on a different level in terms on BJJ , he was strong , he would take positioning quick like a cat , it was insane how smooth and fluid his positioning transitioning was.

Last edited:
Rickson by death.

Royce was a white belt compared to Rickson.

He was also much much stronger than Royce and physically gifted.

Sakuraba by uni. They didn’t call him the Gracie killer for nothing.

Saku would probably try to keep it standing like he did against Royce. Only problem is, Rickson, while not great on his feet, is a much better all around fighter than Royce (while also being much better on the ground than Royce as well.)

Saku would probably put up a great fight, but I believe Rickson would have gotten a sub eventually.

Damn, I wish this fight would have happened.

Probably a decision
It would most likely have been a no time limit fight, maybe similar to the rules used for the Royce fight, unlimited 15 minute rounds.

I think Sakuraba would land a few kicks and could take Rickson down but from there Rickson would try to sweep him or escape from bottom through submission attempts. I would favor Sakuraba to outlast Rickson, but one thing Saku would have to be very careful here is to not give up his back in this fight. Sakuraba often went to turtle to escape or transition in a scramble but this is one fight where he really would have to be careful of the RNC. Rickson was an absolute BJJ Grand Master but Sakuraba was an amazing wrestler and catch wrestler, with better strikes and great conditioning.

I see Saku repeatedly taking Rickson down, riding him out, kicking him on the ground and when standing. Rickson would have some moments but Saku will stay out of danger to outlast him after an hour of fighting.

It would be a long, technical, beautiful and epic war.

and so the debate goes on.

almost every grappler who's rolled with Rickson says he's the best, and that Rickson dominated easily and handily.

the exception that proves the rule (other than the judo contest where he lost due to a successful toss) seems to be Mark Schultz, who - reading between the lines of various versions over the years - it sounds like got a takedown and a stalemate occurred for the next 30 minutes. not unlike Royce v Ken II, but with less strikes. but even Mark acknowledged that Rickson was sick.

all that being said, by 2000 Gracie's weren't the only ones who understood Gracie JJ anymore. and NHB had advanced a lot in the last decade. his Pride wins in the late 90's simply didn't prove much. they proved something, but not much.

so who knows.

Last edited:
while also being much better on the ground than Royce as well.

Several unniverses better than Royce I would say...

He was better at getting people there, one mistake by Saku could put him in that spot...he might have been safe on top but jesus christ if Rickson got on top it would be over very fast.

I fucking love Sakuraba, you can't watch MMA and not love the guy - but Rickson was a beast. I know its kind of a joke nowadays but its true.

It would most likely have been a no time limit fight, maybe similar to the rules used for the Royce fight, unlimited 15 minute rounds.

I think Sakuraba would land a few kicks and could take Rickson down but from there Rickson would try to sweep him or escape from bottom through submission attempts. I would favor Sakuraba to outlast Rickson, but one thing Saku would have to be very careful here is to not give up his back in this fight. Sakuraba often went to turtle to escape or transition in a scramble but this is one fight where he really would have to be careful of the RNC. Rickson was an absolute BJJ Grand Master but Sakuraba was an amazing wrestler and catch wrestler, with better strikes and great conditioning.

I see Saku repeatedly taking Rickson down, riding him out, kicking him on the ground and when standing. Rickson would have some moments but Saku will stay out of danger to outlast him after an hour of fighting.

It would be a long, technical, beautiful and epic war.

That's a very drawn out and thoughtful post for a fight that's just a pipe dream

You bored bro? No 10's to bang or lambos to drive?

and so the debate goes on.

almost every grappler who's rolled with Rickson says he's the best, and that Rickson dominated easily and handily.

the exception to the rule seems to be Mark Schultz, who (reading between the lines) it sounds like got a takedown and a stalemate occurred for the next 30 minutes. not unlike Royce v Ken II, but with less strikes. but even Mark acknowledged that Rickson was sick.

by 2000 Gracie's weren't the only ones who understood Gracie JJ anymore. and NHB had advanced a lot in the last decade.

so who knows.
Man, if only Schultz didn't injure his back. He would have WRECKED so many fighters in MMA.

That's a very drawn out and thoughtful post for a fight that's just a pipe dream

You bored bro? No 10's to bang or lambos to drive?
10's and Lambos? Sherbros only fuck with 12's and Bugattis :D

Just eating lunch and I have already thought that fight through 1000x over the years.

Rickson was far superior to Royce so I really don't think Saku would have owned him like the rest of the Gracies

Saku was probably a better athlete than Royce but Rickson was probably a better athlete than Saku even with the 11 year age gap, although I'd have to give Saku the conditioning edge

Would have been very very interesting. I think a lot would depend on the parameters of the fight. Like if it was no time limit or time limit, whether Rickson wore the gi or not etc.

I think in the end Saku gets him because even Rickson shared the greatest weakness of the Gracies: Pride. They were forever too proud to think anyone could conquer their systems and instead of studying what Saku was doing and working to counter it, they just simply thought they could out BJJ him where their other family members had failed. If Rickson approached it intelligently and strategically I think he would win but I don't think he would have, I think he would have just gone out in the gi, with no time limit and fought, and in the end Saku would exhaust him

Back