Kelvin should just hire a good nutritionist like Khabib just did and go back to WW

KillerIsBack V2

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
It is his optimum fight weight, for many reasons, and he himself said it so many times.

Idk, what's going through his head sticking to MW like that. He has no business being there, same as Robbie and Maia whom dropped from MW for a reason.

I think the fans hype for it brainwashed him from common sense. his only accomplishment at MW is lasting to the third against The Chris.

His so called run:
- Vitor's 40 year old dusty corpse coming off a losing streak.
- Bisping's last minute replacement, fresh off a bloody title fight, detached retina, and a 38th birthday
- Hendrick's fat ghost from WW
- Over 2 year lay off Kennedy

ffs, he moved up after a lose to MAGNY!

Woodley never fought at Middleweight.

Kelvin needed a towel and a 2nd try to make 186 last time, his bones have become too dense to make 170 consistently. The weight cut will only get tougher as he gets older.

Me thinks TS got Woodley confused with Larkin.

Uh-oh police are coming

He is a dense guy. Some people are bigger and weigh more than you think. No doubt he carries fat but he is just built like a mini truck. Weirdly it helps his cardio possibly which is the main reason why he does not want ro switch to a more beach muscle oriented diet. I have never seen him ger tired. Ideally he would need a body like whittaker. Whittaker btw is not tall at all. He is 5 feet 11 at best. Stats are bullshit. So that makes romero what? 5 foot 9.5? Sounds about right. Gastulem cleaely is even shorter.

He's probably a little bit Hendricks esque in his diet approach

No, because weight cutting is gay.

Just because he can make WW doesn't make it his optimum weight. He's looked better at MW imo.

When I saw Kelvin vs Jacare announced, I thought to myself,

"There goes Kelvin continuing his journey to beat up every old man in the UFC before he retires."

It is his optimum fight weight, for many reasons, and he himself said it so many times.

Idk, what's going through his head sticking to MW like that. He has no business being there, same as Robbie and Maia whom dropped from MW for a reason.

I think the fans hype for it brainwashed him from common sense. his only accomplishment at MW is lasting to the third against The Chris.

His so called run:
- Vitor's 40 year old dusty corpse coming off a losing streak.
- Bisping's last minute replacement, fresh off a bloody title fight, detached retina, and a 38th birthday
- Hendrick's fat ghost from WW
- Over 2 year lay off Kennedy

ffs, he moved up after a lose to MAGNY!

I'm paraphrasing, He said that he loves food too much to give up.
With that mindset, you are destined to fail. A nutritionist can't help you if you "can't" let him.

Woodley never fought at Middleweight.

Kelvin needed a towel and a 2nd try to make 186 last time, his bones have become too dense to make 170 consistently. The weight cut will only get tougher as he gets older.

Nobody told him to bulk up so much. The guys has added so much muscle to his shoulders, neck and back.

training is fun. learning is fun. camp is fun.

cutting weight is not fun.

most people don't want to look like Mike Swick. Kelvin is apparently one of them.

he has clearly shown a propensity for almost but not quite making 170. to consistently make, he would have to begin a year long process of weight management. not like Khabib, more like DC (who took 12 or 16 months to safely go from HW to LHW, and then always watched his diet between camps).

~~~

he can do it. there is no doubt in my mind. he could spend 9 months training in Thailand and lose 15lbs.

but he may not want to. and right now he's getting paid well and not doing the suckiest part of the job. the reward (his chances of getting a belt at 170 are greater than the chances of getting a belt at 185) simply may not be worth the cost to him. especially if he's getting paid well to win some and lose some bouts at 185.

up to him, ultimately. and i generally support a fighter's decisions.

When I saw Kelvin vs Jacare announced, I thought to myself,

"There goes Kelvin continuing his journey to beat up every old man in the UFC before he retires."

Did I miss something? I thought the crocodile was most likely to fight whineman. What happened?

training is fun. learning is fun. camp is fun.

cutting weight is not fun.

most people don't want to look like Mike Swick. Kelvin is apparently one of them.

he has clearly shown a propensity for almost but not quite making 170. to consistently make, he would have to begin a year long process of weight management. not like Khabib, more like DC (who took 12 or 16 months to safely go from HW to LHW, and then always watched his diet between camps).

~~~

he can do it. there is no doubt in my mind. he could spend 9 months training in Thailand and lose 15lbs.

but he may not want to. and right now he's getting paid well and not doing the suckiest part of the job. the reward (his chances of getting a belt at 170 are greater than the chances of getting a belt at 185) simply may not be worth the cost to him. especially if he's getting paid well to win some and lose some bouts at 185.

up to him, ultimately. and i generally support a fighter's decisions.

He had a very close fight vs the current ww champion (sd if I remember correctly); no reason to think he couldn't fast-track his way to a title shot if he just laid off the burritos.

We already saw him get outsized/outmuscled at mw and most likely it will continue to happen as he fights the bigger guys in the division.

you mean should have never got rid of Dolce?

Me thinks TS got Woodley confused with Larkin.

Uh-oh police are coming

giphy.gif

Too fat right now and will probably always be too fat.

Chael said that his work ethic during training on the ultimate fighter wasn't great but he was a natural at putting things together at fight time.

Kelvin is beast, but I don’t get why everyone thinks he’s gonna be MW champ within the next year.

He just lost to Weidman who on these boards is completely done as a top fighter (which I disagree)...

He had a very close fight vs the current ww champion (sd if I remember correctly); no reason to think he couldn't fast-track his way to a title shot if he just laid off the burritos.

We already saw him get outsized/outmuscled at mw and most likely it will continue to happen as he fights the bigger guys in the division.

this is where we disagree. if it were that easy, he wouldn't have missed weight multiple times.

ergo, it's not that easy. it takes serious dedication. like i said, more DC than Khabib. maybe Matt Brown is an even better example. he spent years getting his body in peak form for a weight class he didn't start in. it took years of dedication. not "just laying off burritos".

maybe being that disciplined makes fighting so damn un-fun for Kelvin that it's not worth it. but fighting at 185 and not cutting is worth it. even if the chances of a belt are much, much slimmer.

to be clear, i fully agree with you that he is a more natural fit at 170, IF he dedicates himself. but he knows more about this topic than you, and he has obviously consciously chosen not to go back to 170. maybe he will eventually. maybe he just needs to lose 2 more in a row to get the motivation he needs. i don't know.

but i do know it will take a lot more work and dedication than you are suggesting.

just food for thought. pun intended. cheers.

this is where we disagree. if it were that easy, he wouldn't have missed weight multiple times.

ergo, it's not that easy. it takes serious dedication. like i said, more DC than Khabib. maybe Matt Brown is an even better example. he spent years getting his body in peak form for a weight class he didn't start in. it took years of dedication. not "just laying off burritos".

maybe being that disciplined makes fighting so damn un-fun for Kelvin that it's not worth it. but fighting at 185 and not cutting is worth it. even if the chances of a belt are much, much slimmer.

to be clear, i fully agree with you that he is a more natural fit at 170, IF he dedicates himself. but he knows more about this topic than you, and he has obviously consciously chosen not to go back to 170. maybe he will eventually. maybe he just needs to lose 2 more in a row to get the motivation he needs. i don't know.

but i do know it will take a lot more work and dedication than you are suggesting.

just food for thought. pun intended. cheers.

Just look at his body. It's not like he's carrying a bunch of extra muscle; he's very soft in the midsection, i.e. fat, i.e. poor dieting habits.

Back