2 SWAT officers suspended for responding to shooting

The safety issue is that the responding officers on duty might have mistaken them for the killer.

So, ironically, the potential safety issue couldn't possibly have existed because the officers who were supposed to be doing their jobs weren't doing their jobs while these guys were. Wrap your head around that.
Kind of. There's still the potential threat of someone moving on a target while you are establishing a perimeter, so you end up firing into your perimeter and shooting one of the good guys. Tactical shit is complicated, so that's why we practice. I don't know if a perimeter was even being established, so I am not saying either way. I would just love for someone who was there and has some tactical experience to talk to figure out if what these SWAT officers were doing made any sense or not. I just simply don't have enough information to pass judgment either way.

Makes sense. Once cops arrive on scene how do they know who's a swat member trying to help and who's a psycho trying to kill kids.
Not if the cops are standing outside with their thumbs up their asses afraid to do anything. I'm gonna guess the SWAT guys are the ones wearing uniforms and are adults. Someone's in there blasting kids, hard to make it much worse.

Absolute bullshit.

That said, get on the radio tell your admin weenies you are enroute, then switch to common channel for the event. If they would deny,you going when you're close they can get fucked.

Rolled to a neighboring agencies 998(shots fired, officer needs assistance) the other day. Told our dispatch we were responding then hopped on county wide to let them know too.

Absolute bullshit.

That said, get on the radio tell your admin weenies you are enroute, then switch to common channel for the event. If they would deny,you going when you're close they can get fucked.

Rolled to a neighboring agencies 998(shots fired, officer needs assistance) the other day. Told our dispatch we were responding then hopped on county wide to let them know too.

has your protocol changed at all over the years in regard to how your department is told to respond?

This feels like suspending a kid for standing up to a bully by punching them in the mouth.

has your protocol changed at all over the years in regard to how your department is told to respond?
Respond to what? Active shooters have been,go, go, go since I started. We went to the UASI(Urban Area Security Initiative) course, which was 3 days and preached speed and violence of action for ending it. Told us you may be stepping over dead and dying to kill the shooter but thst was priority.

A 998 is go at your discretion if you're close and its a neighboring city but inform dispatch. A 999 (Officer Down) gets you the world. Everyone goes.

Back