12 years ago today...

Damn I remember that fight Rich was wrecked easily he had nothing

A nice example of how to do so much damage so early theres no coming back.

If only Leben had sent him to fight easier competition in Japan. Franklin might be considered a GOAT...

Oh shit, I remember watching that at hooters in college. My friend was coked up and didn't touch any of the wings he ordered.

If only Leben had sent him to fight easier competition in Japan. Franklin might be considered a GOAT...
Now that you mention that,itd be interesting who would have been the MW king in all that time w/o Anderson. I dont think Rich could have held off all of those guys.

I thought the First was a fluke and Rich would win the rematch ..

Lol

I was in awe because of the level of respect shown. How you could beat a man and then embrace afterwards.

Especially the rematch these guys had so much respect for eachother.

And I was a new fan at the time. To see this was amazing. The fact you don't need to hate your opponent to fight. I love martial arts!

Now that you mention that,itd be interesting who would have been the MW king in all that time w/o Anderson. I dont think Rich could have held off all of those guys.

Disagree. Rich beat everybody else that he fought at 185 for the next few years until he lost to Henderson, and that was a really close fight. Plus, Franklin probably would have won a five round fight considering how Henderson faded in the final round.

Perhaps the weakest era in the 185 division.

Good ol days though.

Franklin vs Quarry my favorite KO of All Time. Surprised UFC didnt employ him after he retired. Franklin doesn't get enough attention on these boards.

In those days, your eyes were glued due to the warfare, not the circus and ppv numbers.
yeah, im too old.

People started to ignore how good Rich really was due to that loss. He definitely deserves more recognition than he gets. Franklin was a great fighter and beat some really good guys.

His sub escapes vs Lutter were fucking legendary .

Disagree. Rich beat everybody else that he fought at 185 for the next few years until he lost to Henderson, and that was a really close fight. Plus, Franklin probably would have won a five round fight considering how Henderson faded in the final round.
I think Vitor,Okami,and Sonnen could have beaten him,but yeah they are all winnable fights.

GSP would have fought at MW

In those days, your eyes were glued due to the warfare, not the circus and ppv numbers.
yeah, im too old.
Also the cards were stacked and only about 3-4 a year. The UFC was something to look forward to.

Back