11 Boxers that I feel need to retire.

I noticed that as well - why do you think that is? Motivation, then not taking Tarver seriously and getting Ko'd Big time?

The muscle mass he lost between the Ruiz and first Tarver fights combined with him ageing. Roy's entire style was based on his speed and reflexes above fundamentals and technique. He was 34 at the time of the first Tarver fight. Not exactly a great age to put on and lose muscle mass in a short space of time.

I noticed that as well - why do you think that is? Motivation, then not taking Tarver seriously and getting Ko'd Big time?

Getting Koed "big time"has something I'm sure to do with it now and it will later possibly.But for now,I don't think it was a lack of motivation or him not taking AT seriously,because Tarver had been calling him out for a bit,even before the Ruiz fight.RJJ is just a bad motherfucker and will fight just about anybody at the time he feels was relevant or a threat at 175lbs,which he believed up until then(and he was right)he was the king.I think if he wasn't truly motivated,at least a little,he would not be still fighting today.After the Ruiz fight was when anybody who knows shit about boxing could see it but I guess after the stoppage losses to Tarver in the rematch and to the road warrior is when it started to become apparent to everyone imo.The losses he takes now though make me sad because I know a lot of them in his prime he would have been on their ass quick.I'll say this though.Even though Lacy was made to order for him,in that fight at times,if you go back and watch it and squint your eyes,it's almost like watching old Roy.

I think Jermain can still hang with the non elite boxers he's so damn athletic.

Definitely agree on roy jones jr...I almost forgot he was still fighting, he won his last one...but when he gets KO'd its realllly disturbing i.e. Lebedev and Green...Im actually kind of split on Erik Morales, he showed that he still has the savvy and the skill to hang with young up and comers...so if he can still make money and put on exciting competitive fights more power to him. On the other hand he is a VERY old 34 years old...cant be good for him in the later stages of his life.

Why Bernard Hopkins? He hasn't taken much damage and has never been KOd. He is the Ring champion at Light Heavyweight, one of a handful of people considered best in their weight class. Outisde of the recent non-match, match he was coming off a win against a young champion in Jean Pascal. Yes, he's old and can't keep going on forever but he is not only healthy but fighting at the highest level.

Evander didn't retire yet? Jesus Christ.

He begging for some brain damage at this point.

Why Bernard Hopkins? He hasn't taken much damage and has never been KOd. He is the Ring champion at Light Heavyweight, one of a handful of people considered best in their weight class. Outisde of the recent non-match, match he was coming off a win against a young champion in Jean Pascal. Yes, he's old and can't keep going on forever but he is not only healthy but fighting at the highest level.

I think him and Morales are similar in that they both are aging fighters that will always have that natural instinct and intelligence to be competitive in fights.

I'd add Rahman. Isn't he getting a title shot soon or some shit?

And I think Jameel McCline is still fighting

To soon to tell with Tarver I mean it's not like he has lost to nobodies, he has lost to Hopkins,Dawson,and Johnson recently. Hopkins I would say is close, age is definitely catching up to him and I am going to wait to see what he can do against Dawson before I say he should definitely retire.

I would add Sam Peter to the list as well, I think the brothers took his soul and not sure if he will ever be a contender again.

Love the feedback guys,

for the record, its not a RANKED list, I know Evander is the worse, Toney and Jones close second.

Mayorga ? I think the booze, cigarettes and pizza have been harder on him than any one opponent.

Hopkins ?....I'd like to see him step out at the top of his game ala Hagler without taking a beating.

I'd wait and see. He injured his leg early in the Lebedev fight and even then didn't exactly take a beating (although clearly losing). Healed up and in better shape (as he was for the Lebedev fight) there's no real reason for him to retire right now.

As long as he limits his competition to the likes of Henshaw, Sheika, Alexander and shot Lacy there's no reason for him to retire. It's when he decides he wants to go after the big beasts that the issues start.

Morales is only 35 years old, hasn't really taken a serious beating since the Pac-Man bouts and until recently was an ABC champion (albeit one he won softly). No reason for him to retire... 140lbs isn't a division full of killers.

People make far too much of three knockout losses. Taylor is still an effective athletic boxer/puncher who will do well early but fade badly late. Keep him down at 160lbs (if his body can handle it) to avoid some of the big hitters at 168 and see how he does.

1) What stunt? Hopkins was injured. The real issue is what the result of the fight would be because of that.

2) While Hopkins has looked more vulnerable (Pascal buzzed him with his wild punches a few times) he's still to take a beating and still competing at the top level. Yes, his fights can sometimes be akin to watching paint dry... but that doesn't mean he should retire.

Yes. While he keeps his record ticking over by facing scrubs whenever he even comes close to stepping up his competition he takes a beating. The pay-days aren't worth the cost of his body and health.

In the past 7 years Mosely has lost to Cotto at the peak of his powers in a competitive fight, Floyd Mayweather and Manny. The only fight in which he took anything resembling a beating is against Floyd.

I expect he'll lose against Canello but that's more evidence of the fact he's always been too small for 154lbs against a huge 154lbs fighter then it is that he's completely shot. At 147lbs he'll be a solid contender/gatekeeper for a new wave of fighters coming in.

He lost to Cotto in a competitive fight, Mosely in a highly competetive fight, Oscar and Tito. He's not really shown any signs of being shot, is always entertaining and outside of Oscar I can't think of a single fighter who has had an easy night with him. He clearly doesn't have a huge amount of time left... but there's no reason he can't continue to challenge people with his machismo.

Of course, although I note so far he's only come back for a one fight stint.

Unfortunately I think you're right. If Winky had kept himself busy... or even somewhat close to busy... he'd still be up there, but because he priced himself out of bouts and was content to sit of the sidelines it's hard to see him ever doing anything. I have no doubt he'd still be able to do a number on a pretty high number of journeymen and low-level prospects/contenders but I just don't see Winky putting himself in the ring with them to begin with.

No, no, no, no.

Since his comeback Holyfield has gone 7-2 and probably should be world champion after his controversial bout with Valuev. He hasn't taken a beating and has handed a few of his own out. Do I want to see him taking on either Klit or any of the top HW contenders? Not really... but while he's facing the likes of Botha or Nielsen he's fine... and let's remember that his wins over the likes of Vinny Maddalone and Fres Oquendo were at least as impressive as former Klit challengers Adamek and Mormeck's wins over them.

He looked pretty impressive in destroying Green for the IBO "world" title. At 175lbs he may be done but at HW and 200lbs he's looked pretty good. Let's see how he does against the crude prospect/contender Kayode before writing him off.

He's losing to some of the top prospects/contenders in the world, rarely taking a beating and generally giving them a hard time. He also just beat an 18-0 prospect. No need to deprive him of his livelihood.

Has already retired post-Vernon Paris hasn't he?

It's also worth watching to see how many of those losses are legitimate and how many are him losing in an opponents hometown on a card that the opponents promoter put on.

At 41 you're probably right but it's worth noting that apart from his Klit bout he's always been even or around even on the score cards even when he loses.

You honestly don't sound convinced a guy should retire until he's either dead or brain dead tbh. Bernard Hopkins is the boy who cried wolf then. He pulled stunts against Cazaghe and even Roy Jones early in their fight.

While you make great points with others, I think the Holyfield one is way off, the reason I say that is because you seem convinced a guy isn't done if there is still a level of competition he can fight.

Thats like if Bret Favre couldn't cut it in the NFL anymore, but he went to Arena league and he was alright there, but isn't even the best in the Arena league anymore. "Yeah but he still went 7-4 with a winning record in arena league"

Shane Mosley - I hate to see him get beat up by guys he'd have torched in his prime - hell he was calling out mayweather and Manny after he destroyed Margo'cheato in '09 and neither would take that fight. I can give credit to Mayweather for at least taking the fight (a year and a half later) when it was still thought mosley had something to offer.

Please Mosley - Retire.

mayweather/mosely was supposed to happen 10 years before it actually did there were even magazine covers and posters they showed in the 24/7 or w/e

Yeah, Holyfield needs to get out. Hes at the point where hes embarrassing himself. The Valuev robbery should have been his last hurrah.

Well, probably WAS his last hurrah.

You honestly don't sound convinced a guy should retire until he's either dead or brain dead tbh. Bernard Hopkins is the boy who cried wolf then. He pulled stunts against Cazaghe and even Roy Jones early in their fight.

Hopkins has pulled stunts throughout his career... it's what he does. He's experienced and smart enough to know what you can and can't get away with and when you can and can't do it. If you give him an opportunity he'll take advantage of it.

No-one liked the ending of Hopkins/Dawson just like no-one liked the way he flopped around every tie Roy Jones touched the back of his head in the rematch. None of that means he shouldn't still compete.

While you make great points with others, I think the Holyfield one is way off, the reason I say that is because you seem convinced a guy isn't done if there is still a level of competition he can fight.

Thats like if Bret Favre couldn't cut it in the NFL anymore, but he went to Arena league and he was alright there, but isn't even the best in the Arena league anymore. "Yeah but he still went 7-4 with a winning record in arena league"

And why is that wrong? If a guy still wants to compete, wants/needs the money and is still able to compete at some level then why should he retire? Because you don't want to see him at that level

I'm sorry that you have a sense of entitlement that means that fighters should retire when you want them to or as soon as they can't face the sort of opponents you want them to. Let us be clear... we're not talking about a 63 year old Ken Buchanan, riddled with drink problems, who hasn't boxed in 20+ years wanting to make a comeback... we're talking about a 49 year old man who has kept himself in as good shape as he possibly could, has gone 6-2-1 in his comeback and has never been beaten up... and only clearly beaten once. More, we're talking about a guy who picks his opponents well... the likewise old and faded Botha, Savarese and Nielsen, the limited (and no spring chicken) Maddalone, Oquendo and Williams and even in his world title bouts the likes of Valuev and Ibragimov. He's not putting himself in with killers, he's not facing the best... he's facing opponents he can (and does) beat fairly comfortably with limited risk.

Evander Holyfield has pretty severe financial problems. Despite his best efforts the only way he's been able to make money is by stepping into the ring. You may like to see him pennyless and broken-hearted having lost the thing he loves, another sad tale of a boxer lost but me, personally, I think he should be allowed to make money the way he knows best, facing opponents he offer him limited risk. He's not getting stopped, he's not getting rocked, he's not even taking many punches... there is no reason other the fact that you only want to see him at the top of his game for him to not keep boxing at this level.

Back