11 Boxers that I feel need to retire.

One night... same event

Jones vs Holyfield

Hopkins vs Toney

All retire afterward

vitali klitschko he doesnt need it any more and danny williams

vitali klitschko he doesnt need it any more and danny williams

Vitali? You're kidding right? He can still make a fortune and barely gets touched in his fights.

In the past 7 years Mosely has lost to Cotto at the peak of his powers in a competitive fight, Floyd Mayweather and Manny. The only fight in which he took anything resembling a beating is against Floyd.

Just because Mosely hasn't been beat by a prospect yet doesn't mean he won't. Everyone (you said so too) can see the writing on the wall with him. He is either to retire or to become a stepping stone to younger guys. I think that is a perfectly reasonable time to retire for a high level boxer. It's not like he is out there putting on exciting fight anymore, I think he is just trying to squeeze as many big paydays as he can.

No offense, but just because some of these guys (who were all top level) can still compete with low level fighters doesn't mean they should stick around.

Last edited:
I don't get people saying that Vitali Klitschko, the best (or second best) heavyweight in the world, needs to retire

I don't get people saying that Vitali Klitschko, the best (or second best) heavyweight in the world, needs to retire

Because theres really no one out there thats going to improve his legacy and hes looked a little sloppy in his last two fights.

SUGAR SHANE!!!!!! I feel he is old but has a few more fights in him!!!

Is Ricardo Mayorga still active? He hasn't fought since the Cotto fight with was over a year ago. I am a huge fan of "el matador" and I hope that he fights again

Just because Mosely hasn't been beat by a prospect yet doesn't mean he won't. Everyone (you said so too) can see the writing on the wall with him. He is either to retire or to become a stepping stone to younger guys. I think that is a perfectly reasonable time to retire for a high level boxer. It's not like he is out there putting on exciting fight anymore, I think he is just trying to squeeze as many big paydays as he can.

No offense, but just because some of these guys (who were all top level) can still compete with low level fighters doesn't mean they should stick around.

The thread wasn't about boxers who I'd like to see retire or we think probably should retire or for whom it would be a "perfectly reasonable" time to retire..

It's about fighters who need to retire.

Not should, not want, not may ruin their legacy if they don't but need.

If Shane Mosely, still financially hurting from the Jin divorce, is able to grab those last few big paydays and is doing so without taking huge amounts of punishment then why does he need to retire?

One night... same event

Jones vs Holyfield

Hopkins vs Toney

All retire afterward

I think jones and holyfield would get carried out on a stretcher.To much damage already and they couldn`t get out of the way of each others shots.

Morales still fights at a high level.. he shouldn't retire until he can no longer do that

Hes a mockery of himself. Losing to Danny Garcia is pretty poor. Losing to Maidana was no better.

Hes a mockery of himself. Losing to Danny Garcia is pretty poor. Losing to Maidana was no better.

1) his prime was at 126.. losing to those bigger guys at his age in competitive fights is not shameful..

2) He is still able to compete well at a world class level.. too many people hold onto the memories of a fighters dominance and want them to leave those memories in tact.. well that's selfish.. Morales is the guy that devoted his life to the sport.. not us.. and so long as he can compete well, he should do exactly what he wants to do with his career.

I think morales can still compete at a very high level as long as he comes into the fight in shape.

Morales ain't that old yet, but everytime I see him fight he looks like he is 45 or something.

And I disagree with anyone that says Hopkins should hang it up, that man should fight till his 60s man.

Hopkins has pulled stunts throughout his career... it's what he does. He's experienced and smart enough to know what you can and can't get away with and when you can and can't do it. If you give him an opportunity he'll take advantage of it.

No-one liked the ending of Hopkins/Dawson just like no-one liked the way he flopped around every tie Roy Jones touched the back of his head in the rematch. None of that means he shouldn't still compete.

And why is that wrong? If a guy still wants to compete, wants/needs the money and is still able to compete at some level then why should he retire? Because you don't want to see him at that level

I'm sorry that you have a sense of entitlement that means that fighters should retire when you want them to or as soon as they can't face the sort of opponents you want them to. Let us be clear... we're not talking about a 63 year old Ken Buchanan, riddled with drink problems, who hasn't boxed in 20+ years wanting to make a comeback... we're talking about a 49 year old man who has kept himself in as good shape as he possibly could, has gone 6-2-1 in his comeback and has never been beaten up... and only clearly beaten once. More, we're talking about a guy who picks his opponents well... the likewise old and faded Botha, Savarese and Nielsen, the limited (and no spring chicken) Maddalone, Oquendo and Williams and even in his world title bouts the likes of Valuev and Ibragimov. He's not putting himself in with killers, he's not facing the best... he's facing opponents he can (and does) beat fairly comfortably with limited risk.

Evander Holyfield has pretty severe financial problems. Despite his best efforts the only way he's been able to make money is by stepping into the ring. You may like to see him pennyless and broken-hearted having lost the thing he loves, another sad tale of a boxer lost but me, personally, I think he should be allowed to make money the way he knows best, facing opponents he offer him limited risk. He's not getting stopped, he's not getting rocked, he's not even taking many punches... there is no reason other the fact that you only want to see him at the top of his game for him to not keep boxing at this level.

The argument of "he shouldn't retire unless he wants to" can be made about every single fighter. It can be made about Meldrik Taylor if he decided to make a comeback.

This isnt about anyones entitlement, I have no agenda or entitlement, this is only my opinion which you disagree with.

Of course I wish he was still on top of his game. Of course i think its sad that he's at the state he is now. And of course I think he should hang em up because I think its sad for a former superstar to be holding a spit bucket now, metaphorically speaking.

Does it mean that he WILL retire? No, but i wish he would. He only fights in questionable States, the man has severe diminished skills and he's punch drunk.

His financial problems are not going anywhere even if he fights for 10 more years. In 20 years he'll still be able to be a club fighter fighting guys with 5-17-2 records and having competitive matches with them, but wil the arguement be "well the man has to pay his bills" then too?

Last edited:
And I disagree with anyone that says Hopkins should hang it up, that man should fight till his 60s man.

thumbnail.aspx

Hopkins has to resort to shit like this to get through fights. I would like to see him hang em up. Hes horrible for boxing.

I fail to see how a consummate professional is bad for boxing. One of the most dedicated sportsman on the planet, disciplined of body and sharp of wit. Lets not be stupid here, Hopkins is a great advert for boxing.

I fail to see how a consummate professional is bad for boxing. One of the most dedicated sportsman on the planet, disciplined of body and sharp of wit. Lets not be stupid here, Hopkins is a great advert for boxing.

His fights are terrible, he fakes fouls and injuries and everytime he opens his mouth he says something offensive.

One of the most overrated fighters in history.

Back