10 things no one tells you before you become a professional boxer

It's funny how he's still fucking with groves even after knocking him out twice

He never faced a hard hitting ATG like GGG before. No one from 154-168 goes 12 rounds with GGG.

Kessler would've beat ggg. So would froch.

I love ggg but he literally has only fought bums.

The only person I knew that took that long to wrap hands was an older coach from my first gym. He was probably in his 50s at the time. Dude was a bad mother fucker, old school to the core, and did lots of stuff old fashioned. 45 minutes, not sure, definitely a half hour though. Did the tightest wraps ever, felt like you could punch through concrete and be fine.

BTW I'm talking about before a fight.. not just a regular training session

The only person I knew that took that long to wrap hands was an older coach from my first gym. He was probably in his 50s at the time. Dude was a bad mother fucker, old school to the core, and did lots of stuff old fashioned. 45 minutes, not sure, definitely a half hour though. Did the tightest wraps ever, felt like you could punch through concrete and be fine.

where was this?

Thanks for posting the article Hi-Tech. It was worth the read.

I was surprised that he didn't mention that the fighter gets a fraction of the purse that is listed within the press releases

i really wonder about it, i asked my mentor about it one time, is it possible to condition your hands, and mentioned the iron palms training and so on. he said something that i think is basically true. that with the way the hand is configured that it's not really possible to make it so there isn't a big risk of breaking your hand. of course, if you have a static object, you can pretty much land the way you want but the human head is both hard, not consistently shaped and is probably going to be moving too, all of those make it seem impossible not to have hand problems. my hands haven't bothered me in years but I don't spar anymore and when i hit the bag, i always wear protection. the only thing i can say happens when i take long breaks from training is that my wrist buckles when i start back, but that's why i have the wraps and usually that stops after only a few training sessions. i must say though, that my right hand doesn't seem as facile as a pianist as it was when i was in my twenties, especially between my middle and ring fingers.

I never had problems with hands myself maybe it's genetic but it probably comes down to my physique and fighting style too. I have a short reach, i'm a stocky 5'10'' 220lbs HW and my reach is only just a bit above my height. You can imagine I have really thick strong arms with huge forearm muscles. Also, I throw a lot of narrow short vertical fist hooks from close range and mostly use straight punches just to set them up or pot shot from range. I attack the body a lot too. Straight punches and wide looping hooks can damage your hands the most.

I think it's possible to condition your hands to a certain extent but if you damage them once it's only going to get worse and worse. It's just like if you damage your knee for example, it will never be the same again no matter what you do.

remember tyson broke his hand in a street fight with Mitch green? I doubt he threw more than five punches. He broke his hand and a fight was delayed because of it. I've been in some scuffles where I think my right hand may have been fractured but I never found out for sure, if it was, it wasn't serious but the thing was, the soreness sure did last a good while, one time for months after a fight. I'm actually getting old enough now where I think I have to worry about arthritis more than sprains or soreness when I train.

Back