• Psycho

• The Omen

• Halloween

• A Nightmare on Elm Street

• The Silence of the Lambs

• The Exorcist

• Rosemary's Baby

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, Alien is having a good showing, but I was going off the other 20 times this thread was made and it came down to those two films every time.
Obviously there is a great lack of taste and superior opinion on sherdog, which, quite frankly isn’t a surprise

Obviously there is a great lack of taste and superior opinion on sherdog, which, quite frankly isn’t a surprise
No doubt. But it's good to see Alien getting its due. It's one of the best.

Do people really think that "The Exorcist" is all that frightening today? For the time, with all the "satanism" fear mongering going on, I guess it was, but as is, it's always seemed really silly to me, filled with hammy over the top acting. What's so chilling about Linda Blair in bad makeup swearing up a storm at people? Never really got the hype.

I think alien is the best film here, but exorcist is the best pure horror film.

Do people really think that "The Exorcist" is all that frightening today? For the time, with all the "satanism" fear mongering going on, I guess it was, but as is, it's always seemed really silly to me, filled with hammy over the top acting. What's so chilling about Linda Blair in bad makeup swearing up a storm at people? Never really got the hype.
Satanic panic was really in the 80s, but you see it’s fundaments in the late 60s and into the 70s. But it was a normative thing in the 80s. I’m sure the exorcist book and movie helped get it rolling though

If your going to put a list of all the "known flicks"... how the hell is the original Texas chainsaw massacre missing

The Exorcist is the scariest movie on the list, Halloween is my favorite.

Alien is scarier but The Shining is more brilliant.

Based on the wording of the question, i voted Alien.

Very much so, which do you prefer, given the choice, alien or aliens?
The original, for sure. Aliens is brilliant, but it's a different kind of film altogether. Aliens is more of a straight horror, the sequel is an action flick. Both good for their own reasons, but I'm partial to horror.

Do people really think that "The Exorcist" is all that frightening today?

It is as good today as it was in 1973. I think that for 1973 the special effects were pretty good. If you do not follow a religion or are atheist, I can see where the movie would be 'hokey'.

The Exorcist is the scariest movie on the list, Halloween is my favorite.

Yeh I was a child when the Exorcist came out, but I'll never forget the buzz around the movie at the time... people throwing up at the movie... just from the horrific terror.

Hell, I remember when Alien came out and the buzz around that. Little alien bursting out of the guys chest...what the hell is this shit?

People hadn't seen gore/special effects on that level before. Really shocked people.

I hardly ever watch it...great movie, but as someone described earlier... it's claustrophobic and always DARK in the movie. And just an overall feeling of doomed hopelessness. It leaves be very disturbed and unsettled.

I actually just saw Alien for the first time recently. Still sort of in shock over how good it was.

Silence of the Lambs is a favourite as well. But for the sheer personal experience of fear The Exorcist ruined me for weeks as a kid.

Tough call. I've always had a soft spot for the original Halloween, though. Even liked the Rob Zombie remake, to be honest.

The original, for sure. Aliens is brilliant, but it's a different kind of film altogether. Aliens is more of a straight horror, the sequel is an action flick. Both good for their own reasons, but I'm partial to horror.
Respect

Back