• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zookeeper Gabe’s Animal Thread Vol 9.0

^^^ Wasn't he the colourful lead singer for some 80's Hair Band???

(question got caught up in the quote above and can't edit now)

Honey%252BBee%252Bwb%252B-201113-1.jpg

The Worker Bee, much like Mark McMichael's account, only survives for 5 to 6 months

Box fish release it as well. The toxin they release, Tetrodotoxin, is the same as what's found in puffer fish. Tetrodotoxin can be found in other animals like the blue ring octopus, eastern newts found all over the east coast, poison dart frogs, and starfish.

Yellow Box fish

4132235f-bda7-4a45-b4e7-fb50bf9d17e0.jpg

Last edited:
would it hurt you if your hand was in the water or do you have to ingest it/ have an open wound?

Box fish release it as well. The toxin they release, Tetrodotoxin, is the same as what's found in puffer fish. Tetrodotoxin can be found in other animals like the blue ring octopus, eastern newts found all over the east coast, poison dart frogs, and starfish.

Yellow Box fish

4132235f-bda7-4a45-b4e7-fb50bf9d17e0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

would it hurt you if your hand was in the water or do you have to ingest it/ have an open wound?
I’ve never read anything about a hobbyist dying from one. It’s pretty rare for them to release the toxin, it’s a last resort type thing.
In a tank, the poison would be dispersed throughout the water compared to it being concentrated like a puffer fish. They get fairly large, up to 2ft, so a 200+ gallon tank is required. Most people that keep them use carbon in their tanks which will absorb the toxin of released.
I wouldn’t worry about it if I had one in a tank.

Last edited:
My kid was pumped that he got to see this guy up close. Insisted it was an opossum at first, but eventually called it a 'dillo. This thing gave zero fucks that we were there, he just kept digging around for bugs like we didn't exist.

Resized_Resized_20220607_161016(2).jpeg

Back