Zookeeper Gabe’s Animal Thread V8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched it to and agree, its great.

But ...fish rescue??
{<huh}

@jefferz,

Yeah man.. it's a thing.. many fish grow big as hell and cost next to nothing.. they are also quite intelligent and learn to recognize people etc..

Many buy them, get attached and don't have the money, space or knowledge to care for them.. they expected "a fucking fish" and got a pet they were spectacularly unprepered for..

Been speaking to this guy on facebook and other forums and he's a good guy..

I watched it to and agree, its great.

But ...fish rescue??
{<huh}

@jefferz,

People will buy a fish from a pet store not knowing that they get huge. People will try to give their fish to local aquariums when they get big, but most aquariums turn the fish down. So this guy started taking in big fish.
The hobbyist term for fish that are too big for the home aquarium yet are still sold at pet stores are called tank busters.
They have a youtube channel with pretty active uploads.

Places like this are needed because this is how you get invasive species like plexus/snakeheads being released. People are dumb and irresponsible and buy fish and aren’t ready for the end product. Hell even feeder goldfish get gigantic and live a well over 20yrs

A:
shutterstock_mole-crop-original-original.jpg

B:
eremitalpa_157_edited-e1563930681676.jpg

C:
marsupial-mole.jpg

Neat factoid for the taxonomy enthusiasts here- these are all "moles" with a similar appearance but have vastly different origins. Mole A ("true mole") is more closely related to us than it is to the other two moles. Mole B (golden mole) is a distant relative of aardvarks and tenrecs.

And mole C (marsupial mole) is not even in the same clade as placental mammals.

And yet they all evolved similar body features.

I wonder if that diver's bodysuit was designed specifically for this. Notice how brightly patterned it is as opposed to the solid dark color of most suits. Makes sharks less likely to mistake us for seals and take a taste test.

A:

B:

C:
marsupial-mole.jpg

Neat factoid for the taxonomy enthusiasts here- these are all "moles" with a similar appearance but have vastly different origins. Mole A ("true mole") is more closely related to us than it is to the other two moles. Mole B (golden mole) is a distant relative of aardvarks and tenrecs.

I wonder if that diver's bodysuit was designed specifically for this. Notice how brightly patterned it is as opposed to the solid dark color of most suits. Makes sharks less likely to mistake us for seals and take a taste test.
Convergent evolution is cool shit

No, she's just an idiot.

A:

B:

C:
marsupial-mole.jpg

"...And yet they all evolved similar body features."
Just goes to show that necessity and functionality drive evolution more than 'species'. If you have a necessary task for survival of any species, then over time those features that allow for success in that task will become predominant.

interesting stuff. I had never seen that type of 'camouflage' approach.

I had seen some early work on low emission magnets/electrical current emitters that you would attach to suits. They basically would project a bubble around you that was like a shark force field. Sharks noses are super sensitive to magnet forces/current so as they contact the bubble it would send them fleeing the other way.

It was pretty promising stuff. I should probably look up the status on where that sits later.

I had seen some early work on low emission magnets/electrical current emitters that you would attach to suits. They basically would project a bubble around you that was like a shark force field. Sharks noses are super sensitive to magnet forces/current so as they contact the bubble it would send them fleeing the other way.

It was pretty promising stuff. I should probably look up the status on where that sits later.
I think those electrical solutions have a different objective than the camouflage. One tries to repel them while the other makes you invisible in their presence.

It still takes huge balls to swim next to them. Maybe they ignore the swimmer 95% of the time, but there's still a decent risk of a curiosity bite. Still worth it for da 'gram tho...

That’s not trolling, woodpeckers nest in tree cavities like that so it’s most likely defending eggs or babies. I remember when the video came out with the larger woodpecker a few years ago, she tried pretty hard to save her kids.

Look closer at the woodpecker's eyes. If you study animals and spend a lot of time around them you will notice these things.

Look closer at its eyes and watch carefully. You'll see it.

TrollFace.jpg

No, she's just an idiot.

I think those electrical solutions have a different objective than the camouflage. One tries to repel them while the other makes you invisible in their presence.

It still takes huge balls to swim next to them. Maybe they ignore the swimmer 95% of the time, but there's still a decent risk of a curiosity bite. Still worth it for da 'gram tho...

Excellent points all around. Might I add my own opinions on the matter?

Would burgle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back