• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Working adults, how many times a week do you train bjj/judo/wrestling?

Rdude92

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I need to know this, soon ill be working too. As of now I train 5 a week.
Is 3 times or even 2 times a week possible when your working and having a family on top of that?

Everyone is different. I used to train 5 days a week in college. When I graduated I was working 6 days a week 80 hours. I was lucky to train 1 once a month (plus I moved away from my school) when I got married and worked 5 days a week 60 hours and moved back to where my main scool was I trained 4 days a week 3 hours each day (includes 45 minutes of total Drive time) then I had kids at the same time I moved up the Corp ladder and I basically took 8 years off probably just training once a month during that time when I wasn't injured. Now kids are a little older. I still work a lot and I get about 2 days a week in at most.
If you have a family does your wife work, are your kids super active, does your wife get time to herself too? All of those things are a factor. Personally I want to be involved in what my kids do from homework to sports. Through out each year my kids are signed up for one or two activities year round. If you are going to put all that on your wife, make sure you create an evening she leaves the house and gets some time to herself. You feed, bath and put the kids to bed. And don't complain
It will go a long way .

The secret is having a wife who also trains.

anywhere from zero to 5 times, im a bit lucky with my school having early morning and late night so it works out better for me...its not work that will get in your way, itll be getting married and having kids

Sometimes once a week some times 3 and sometimes I’ll have to take a few months off. It’s life, man.

I went 8-9x a week for almost 2 years. I haven't trained properly for almost 2 years now, too many distractions.

4 is a good week. 2 classes and 2 open mats and I’m happy. My body couldn’t handle much more anyways.

I went 8-9x a week for almost 2 years. I haven't trained properly for almost 2 years now, too many distractions.
How is that possible?
Morning and night training? You don't get fatigue?

I usually get two or three classes per week and then one 2-3 hour open mat.

In my 30's with a full time job and no family or kids. I imagine it will get more difficult when that happens but I'm sure I'll make something work.

I need to know this, soon ill be working too. As of now I train 5 a week.
Is 3 times or even 2 times a week possible when your working and having a family on top of that?
I train as much as my schedule allows. Last week I trained three days. This week will be about the same. Three weeks ago I wasn't even able to hit the mats because I worked 110 hours in a two week period. In those two weeks I hit the mats maybe twice. Don't worry about it. Having money to buy food and shelter is much more important than jiu jitsu. Jiu Jitsu is very important to me but I also need to feed my family. Go to open mats. Go to your sister gym if you can't go during class time at your gym. Just train bruh.

So what I am saying is don't stress about not hitting the mats as much as you did when you were younger. You also need to balance everything out. My wife knows how much training is important to me. She doesn't say much but every once in a while we need to do something during my training time. I will do it because she is so cool about letting me train mostly when I want too.

We work pretty regimented. I am always 3 days a week unless injured or traveling for work. I picked a place that had classes late (starts at 8 pm). My wife has tuesday/thursday to train (races bikes). Me monday/wednesday (we both get time on saturday). I spend a few hours in the evenings getting the kids dinner and PJ's (when they were young) and then out to door to class. The only other way would be to do 6am class but I get the kids ready for school. The key for me has been keeping the slot open in the family schedule. That made me select a soccer team for my kid that practiced on tuesday/thursday or early on nights i go to the gym. That means going to the gym when injured and just sitting on the side watching. If I stay at home the slot in the schedule gets consumed by something else (three kids).

Being a student is great for me... I train around 5 times a week + gym workouts too.

Welcome to the adult world... I have kids that play basketball and my wife takes one to practice and I'll take the other.. I haven't trained maybe 4 times in the past two months. It's whatever your priorities are my friend. I enjoy watching my kids play and have fun doing it so it's a choice I make.

My normal schedule:

M - 7:00 AM grappling, then two Muay Thai sessions at night from 5:00 - 7:00 PM
T - 6:30 AM grappling, 12:15 PM open mat
W - Lifting in the AM, 11:30 AM Muay Thai
Th - Either 6:00 PM MT sparring, or 5:45 PM grappling and 7:30 PM MT/MMA sparring
F - Lifting or bagwork in the morning, 11:15 AM grappling open mat
Sat - Lifting if I skipped it on Friday, or nothing
Sun - Rest

So somewhere between 8-10 skill sessions with some S&C thrown in. I'm mostly just lucky, because I have a very flexible job where I basically make my own hours and I have very reliable childcare. I'm also willing to get up really early and put work in, whether that's making 6:30 AM practices or just getting up early to literally work so that I can train later in the day. I also won't maintain this schedule much longer, 2018 is probably my last year of serious competition as I'm getting old and when I stop competing I'll scale this back significantly. Or maybe I won't, I'm more than a little obsessive, but that's the plan at least.

How is that possible?
Morning and night training? You don't get fatigue?
M-W-F nights are double whammies.
7:30pm-9:00pm nogi, 9:00-10:00pm gi. Tues, thurs and saturdays are gi. I'm tired as hell because I also do IF full time. Except I eat whatever the hell I want on sundays. With an extra tub of ice cream.

Everyone is different, I used to train 6 days a week, but new job made me drop to 5.

But really depends on your job and schedule, some people have to go a week on week off, some only once or twice

I am married, work a pretty regular 40 hours a week, and do not have kids. I usually can train 4 to 5 times a week if life is normal. The thing that helps is my wife usually goes to the gym the same times I train. Therefore, she doesn't feel like she is being left alone and/or ask me to do something else with her usually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RBG
Back