Wireless keyboard and mouse

Foppa21

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Have you looked into the different types of switches that are offered for keyboards? Some types of keys are louder than others, which can be issue if you work in an office or if you share a living space with someone.

What type of features are you looking for? Do you want multimedia controls that have things like a volume up/down button, pause/play buttons, etc? Do you want RGB? Do you want a full size keyboard, there's different sized keyboards.
Mechanical-Keyboard-Size-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Hi team,

Suggestions please. I'm wanted to get a wireless keyboard and mouse. Primarily for work but would use for gaming when required as well. Since it's more work, I don't want to go breaking the bank either.

For keyboards, thinking of one of these:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KEYLOG3731304/Logitech-G613-Lightspeed-Wireless-Mechanical-Gamin

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KEYCOR3101/Corsair-K57-Wireless--Bluetooth-RGB-Gaming-Keyboar

Opinions? Which way should I go team?
When I brought my pc to my living room many moons ago, I went through several, but eventually settled on this Logitech K800. At least it's the most recent version of this keyboard I've purchased. It's my second one (bought two years-ish ago) I bought my first one which was near identical around 2006/07. My dog chewed it up so I had to replace it. The keys feel good, it's quiet, sits well on your lap, is back-lit, and the battery is great. I use it quite often and charge every few weeks or so.

k800-gallery-uk-1.png

I always used a wired mouse, and ran a long cable, but in the last few years I went wireless with the Logitech G703. It's super responsive, and has about a 28 hour life-span. It's pretty bare bones in terms of customization, but I've been happily using it for 3 years or so and still works great.
images

I use the G502 wireless mouse with the Logitech charging pad. Certain people find it heavy but Logitech sell lighter ones. Just make sure it has the Hero sensor. Latency wise its no different than USB.

Have you looked into the different types of switches that are offered for keyboards? Some types of keys are louder than others, which can be issue if you work in an office or if you share a living space with someone.

What type of features are you looking for? Do you want multimedia controls that have things like a volume up/down button, pause/play buttons, etc? Do you want RGB? Do you want a full size keyboard, there's different sized keyboards.
Mechanical-Keyboard-Size-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Probably full size. I need the num pad.

RGB is nice, but that+wireless is not good for the wallet from what I've seen.

I've got a few wired gaming keyboards so this doesn't have to be top of the line. It's more the wireless since it'll live at work.

I have a feeling the I might have to go membrane just to keep the cost down. Any difference? I was thinking mechanical since the ones I have make typing so comfortable. I had a play in the store and the cheaper office based ones actually weren't comfortable to type. My standard issue office keyboard is trash.. The volume of typing I do since I started a new role when up exponentially and it actually started to sting lol

Another vote for the G703.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of price difference between that and the MX3. I thought the MX was their go to? I've got one of the older MXs and like it.

Anyone tried both and can shed some light?

Seeing (though not for gaming) Keychron. Anyone tried them?

@Foppa21

If you ever want advice on what hardware to buy and where to find it for the best deal, @Madmick is the mod to tag.

He's helped me out several times, and his advice is legit.

Probably full size. I need the num pad.

RGB is nice, but that+wireless is not good for the wallet from what I've seen.

I've got a few wired gaming keyboards so this doesn't have to be top of the line. It's more the wireless since it'll live at work.

I have a feeling the I might have to go membrane just to keep the cost down. Any difference? I was thinking mechanical since the ones I have make typing so comfortable. I had a play in the store and the cheaper office based ones actually weren't comfortable to type. My standard issue office keyboard is trash.. The volume of typing I do since I started a new role when up exponentially and it actually started to sting lol

If you're doing a lot of typing I would avoid a membrane keyboard. They cause more hand/finger fatigue which can lead to a RSI (repetitive stress injury).
Between the two you posted I would definitely go with the Logtitech, they offer a better quality product imo. Logitech has been around forever and they offer a great product for the price. Rarely do they ever put out a bad product.
If those are too expensive, there's stuff like the Keychron K4 that can be found for around $110 NZD.
When looking at keyboards like the Keychron you'll see different versions of the keyboards labelled as red, blue, brown, etc. The colors refer to the different types of switches used in the keyboards. Different switches can be louder than others, the force required to push the key is different, the length of stroke is different, etc. Here's a good video explaining them. Since you stated you played with a mech keyboard in store, I'm assuming you have a PBTech store nearby. Watch the video I linked earlier, then stop by the store and try different types out to see which one you like the best.

Mice are like pants, one size doesn't fit all. Your best bet is to go to RocketJumpNinjas website, take your hand measurements, and input your data.

If you're doing a lot of typing I would avoid a membrane keyboard. They cause more hand/finger fatigue which can lead to a RSI (repetitive stress injury).
Between the two you posted I would definitely go with the Logtitech, they offer a better quality product imo. Logitech has been around forever and they offer a great product for the price. Rarely do they ever put out a bad product.
If those are too expensive, there's stuff like the Keychron K4 that can be found for around $110 NZD.
When looking at keyboards like the Keychron you'll see different versions of the keyboards labelled as red, blue, brown, etc. The colors refer to the different types of switches used in the keyboards. Different switches can be louder than others, the force required to push the key is different, the length of stroke is different, etc. Here's a good video explaining them. Since you stated you played with a mech keyboard in store, I'm assuming you have a PBTech store nearby. Watch the video I linked earlier, then stop by the store and try different types out to see which one you like the best.

Mice are like pants, one size doesn't fit all. Your best bet is to go to RocketJumpNinjas website, take your hand measurements, and input your data.

I've been considering that the last day or so. It looks like a very good, cheap alternative

Bugger, they're out of the hot swappable one

Went with the Keychron K4 v2 hot swappable.

I have a follow up... I want to get more switches. I got the brown but want to get a batch of the reds just in case the browns end up being a bit louder than I'd like in a office. Is Gateron a brand or a type? Are they all created equal cos googling, I see to get all sorts of sources. Saw it crazy cheap on alibaba.

Went with the Keychron K4 v2 hot swappable.

I have a follow up... I want to get more switches. I got the brown but want to get a batch of the reds just in case the browns end up being a bit louder than I'd like in a office. Is Gateron a brand or a type? Are they all created equal cos googling, I see to get all sorts of sources. Saw it crazy cheap on alibaba.

Gateron is the brand. Cherry is the original switch maker and Gateron makes a knockoff, but it's a good knockoff. Kailh makes knockoffs and their own switches. Outemu are a cheap knockoff but they're still good. Stick with one of those 3.
If you're going to buy from alibaba, make sure to research what company you're buying from. They could be a fake Gateron.

Gateron is the brand. Cherry is the original switch maker and Gateron makes a knockoff, but it's a good knockoff. Kailh makes knockoffs and their own switches. Outemu are a cheap knockoff but they're still good. Stick with one of those 3.
If you're going to buy from alibaba, make sure to research what company you're buying from. They could be a fake Gateron.

That's what scares me. I've never had anything from alibaba last from memory.

What's the going rate usually? I'll obviously have to add a bit given which part of the world I'm in

That's what scares me. I've never had anything from alibaba last from memory.

What's the going rate usually? I'll obviously have to add a bit given which part of the world I'm in

In America you can pick up Gaterons for around $30 for an entire set.

In America you can pick up Gaterons for around $30 for an entire set.

Comparable. Found a place that sells $4.50 for 10.... So a full set will be about $50 which is about $35 US

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GloveParadox
Back