• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Was I in the wrong here (tapped a white belt with a pro-wrestling hold)?

dragmaster

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ok, here's the story: there's this guy who trains at my gym, and has been coming since around the summer. He's a nice guy, but as a grappler... he's bad. Really bad. Most white belts can offer you something to work with, and while I appreciate that some people just aren't naturals, rolling with this guy is like rolling with a dead fish. I am not exaggerating; once he was playing guard with his legs crossed (like a kid who's sitting down during kindegarten story time) - I don't see how anyone, beginner or not, can see how that's a logical way to fight from your back (and it's not like people haven't been teaching him how to work guard). It's like doing jiu-jitsu with a sloth.

He doesn't whizzer me when I have an underhook from half guard despite having been told countless times. He can't even attempt to pass guard; he just seems to do these stroking moves with his hands. He has no technique, strength and seemingly doesn't have the ability to improve - which is fine. Problem is, because I've been friendly to him in the past, he asks me to roll in almost every class. You only get so much mat time, and this guy is wasting a tonnes of mine; it's really fucking annoying.

I'm kind of a nice guy so I haven't had the heart to say anything; I just try and avoid him.

Well anyway, during rolling last night, low and behold he asks me for the first one. Caught on the spot I say yes. We start, and it's the same old shit. I had a bad day at work, my shoulder was hurting, and I just felt like shit in general. Realizing I wasn't going to get anything out of him I decide to have some fun. I grabbed his ankle as if I were going for an achilles lock, but instead fed my leg between his (there's no way this guy would foot lock me); then, I grab his other leg and am able to cross them over.

If you're not familiar with this position, it's the set-up to pro-wrestling hold The Sharpshooter, used by Bret Hart.

I am able to turn him over, and at this point The Sharpshooter is on. I make sure I don't crank it, seeing as the move generally puts pressure on the back. I am waiting for the tap but it's not coming, so I work it in deeper and deeper until he verbally taps. We restart. I sweep him, and go for it again. I pretty much have it, then I see a purple eyeballing me, so I let go.

After the time is up, the purple (who's a really cool guy) comes up to me and gives me a mouthful - calling my behavior "disgraceful", how I shouldn't pull that kind of shit with the newer guys and that I was deliberately embarrassing my training partner. I personally feel that I wasn't doing any harm and let go as soon as he tapped, so I don't feel I should have anything to be sorry for. Nevertheless I apologized just to be diplomatic, but fuck it, if I'm not learning anything then I may as well have some fun.

Was I a dick in this case?

Edit -

it seems that some people aren't familiar with the move, so this it what it looks like:

display_image.jpg

Not too familiar with the sharpshooter.

Is is an ankle lock or spinal lock?

Yup.

Why dont you try and give this guy some pointers instead?

Ok, here's the story: there's this guy who trains at my gym, and has been coming since around the summer. He's a nice guy, but as a grappler... he's bad. Really bad. Most white belts can offer you something to work with, and while I appreciate that some people just aren't naturals, rolling with this guy is like rolling with a dead fish. I am not exaggerating; once he was playing guard with his legs crossed (like a kid who's sitting down during kindegarten story time) - I don't see how anyone, beginner or not, can see how that's a logical way to fight from your back (and it's not like people haven't been teaching him how to work guard). It's like doing jiu-jitsu with a sloth.

He doesn't whizzer me when I have an underhook from half guard despite having been told countless times. He can't even attempt to pass guard; he just seems to do these stroking moves with his hands. He has no technique, strength and seemingly doesn't have the ability to improve - which is fine. Problem is, because I've been friendly to him in the past, he asks me to roll in almost every class. You only get so much mat time, and this guy is wasting a tonnes of mine; it's really fucking annoying.

I'm kind of a nice guy so I haven't had the heart to say anything; I just try and avoid him.

Well anyway, during rolling last night, low and behold he asks me for the first one. Caught on the spot I say yes. We start, and it's the same old shit. I had a bad day at work, my shoulder was hurting, and I just felt like shit in general. Realizing I wasn't going to get anything out of him I decide to have some fun. I grabbed his ankle as if I were going for an achilles lock, but instead fed my leg between his (there's no way this guy would foot lock me); then, I grab his other leg and am able to cross them over.

If you're not familiar with this position, it's the set-up to pro-wrestling hold The Sharpshooter, used by Bret Hart.

I am able to turn him over, and at this point The Sharpshooter is on. I make sure I don't crank it, seeing as the move generally puts pressure on the back. I am waiting for the tap but it's not coming, so I work it in deeper and deeper until he verbally taps. We restart. I sweep him, and go for it again. I pretty much have it, then I see a purple eyeballing me, so I let go.

After the time is up, the purple (who's a really cool guy) comes up to me and gives me a mouthful - calling my behavior "disgraceful", how I shouldn't pull that kind of shit with the newer guys and that I was deliberately embarrassing my training partner. I personally feel that I wasn't doing any harm and let go as soon as he tapped, so I don't feel I should have anything to be sorry for. Nevertheless I apologized just to be diplomatic, but fuck it, if I'm not learning anything then I may as well have some fun.

Was I a dick in this case?

Yea pretty dick.

If you think you might be a dick, you probably are. If you are going to post to ask if you were a dick, you most definitely are. If the purple belt tells you that you were basically a dick, especially if he's a really cool guy, why even bother to make a thread?

I think you realize you were a dick but you are trying to convince yourself you're not.

Yea pretty dick.

If you think you might be a dick, you probably are. If you are going to post to ask if you were a dick, you most definitely are. If the purple belt tells you that you were basically a dick, especially if he's a really cool guy, why even bother to make a thread?

I think you realize you were a dick but you are trying to convince yourself you're not.

I'm not sure one incident makes me a dick. Otherwise I have a good track record when it comes to mat etiquette. Could you humor me and tell me how I'm a dick in this case?

You put the guy in a sharp shooter:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:

I wish i was there i would have hulk hoagan leg dropped you for that shit.

He's making stroking moves with his hands and you're asking if you are a dick. Don't ask. Don't tell.

I don't think you were a dick,it reminds me of the time i hit an inverted leg sleeper on someone

I'm not sure one incident makes me a dick. Otherwise I have a good track record when it comes to mat etiquette. Could you humor me and tell me how I'm a dick in this case?

You obviously look down upon him and attempt (successfully) to tap him with a very unorthodox, WWE type of move? Do you think your teammates know what you were doing? You telling me you performed a sharp-shooter with a straight face? C'mon man, let's be real here. Generally when you ask things like "I don't mean to be mean but, I don't mean to be rude but, etc.", you are.

Maybe you aren't a dick but that was a dick move and you are judged on your actions and we have a very limited view of what you do (what you tell us).

There's a guy almost like that at my school. I don't know if he simply doesn't put strenght and will, or if he just takes more time to become decent.. but as fact, I always dominate him.

As submitting him 10 times in a row won't help me that much, I started give to him mount, back, side control, even give him advices, then I escape and going for something else... like the open guard I'm struggling with, or a sub I particularly find hard to put. He's a cool guy too so I don't see a point In smashing him.

For the PW stuff... be careful with it. It could hurt your sparring, especially something like the sharpshooter that attack the back... I think you shouldn't use this stuff.

I started give to him mount, back, side control, even give him advices, then I escape and going for something else... like the open guard I'm struggling with, or a sub I particularly find hard to put. He's a cool guy too so I don't see a point In smashing him.

this. and grow the hell up.

You were just having a little bit of fun, all be it at his expense. I would have respectfully told that purple belt to blow me.

You obviously look down upon him and attempt (successfully) to tap him with a very unorthodox, WWE type of move? Do you think your teammates know what you were doing? You telling me you performed a sharp-shooter with a straight face? C'mon man, let's be real here. Generally when you ask things like "I don't mean to be mean but, I don't mean to be rude but, etc.", you are.

Maybe you aren't a dick but that was a dick move and you are judged on your actions and we have a very limited view of what you do (what you tell us).

I don't know the origins of the move, it may even be a CACC hold for all I know. It's not like I haven't given this guy a lot of my training time to help him - he either doesn't listen to me (and others) or he has the inability to apply the techiques that are taught to him. BJJ is after all a combat sport, so I decided to turn it up a bit. Seriously it may even help the guy; I'm not exactly a hot shot on the mats and if I'm tapping you with Sharpshooters, then there's no way you could defend yourself on the street.

i think it was a dick move because it was something done entirely to demean someone. there was no technical value in it, you were showboating and hoping the other guys in class would think it was funny.

you may not be a dick in general, and this day may have been an anomaly, but i think jiu jitsu class is the last place on earth you should pull this kind of stuff unless the person is in on the joke also. it would be very easy for all the other high level guys in the class to cocksmack you and embarrass you but they don't do it out of respect to you, the instructor, and the school.

just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Back