Undisputed (2002) - One of the best Non-Rocky boxing films ever.

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just had the pleasure of re-watching one of my favorite films of 2002 for the first time in a decade, and I had forgotten how good it was. But for the first time, I see how it could have been far far better.

undispu.jpg

Undisputed-16.jpg

2002_undisputed_001.jpg

2002_undisputed_005.jpg

Pros -
*The directing & cinematography is on-point.
*There's not a bad performance in the movie.
*One of Peter Falk's final and best roles.
*The build-up to the fight is quite good.
*One of the absolute best fight scenes, ever - And better than most Rocky movies.
*Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes are VERY believable as heavyweight boxers.

Cons -
*90 minutes long.
*The lack of character development across the board, but especially Wesley Snipes's character.
*It seems the entire prison revolves around the two main characters.
*Ving Rhames's character gets the bulk of development throughout the film, but still seems very two dimensional.
*Final fight has no bruising and cuts, although both fighters are beating the hell out of eachother.

The main complaints I have with the movie are related to its runtime - they didn't have any extra time for much needed character development for both Snipes and Rhames characters, but the other supporting characters, the barbaracism of the prison, and the sanctioned boxing system within the prisons and why they're neccessary.

So many things could have been added to drive up the stakes even higher - more characterization between Rhames and Snipes...
*They were old rivals that never fought?
*A confrontation at the beginning of the movie?
*Both are innocent, and whoever wins gets paroled?
*Whoever loses, gets significant consequences.
*Significant attempts to fix the fight?

And one of the biggest 'What Ifs' I thought -
*What if a prison riot breaks out during the final fight?

Conclusion - Unfortunately, I'm a pessimistic movie-viewer, even for movies I love. I couldn't help but think 'If the decision-makers at Miramax had played their cards right, this could have been a series of boxing movies, like Rocky but R-rated.

Instead, they went to straight-to-video route with some crappy sequels. I think I saw one, but it was completely forgettable.

Aw fuck, I thought this was supposed to be the conclusion? If you haven't seen this movie, watch it sometime. It's a solid 9/10 after you know its flaws before hand. And if you have seen it, but its been a while, watch it again.

It's a horrible movie. Rocky was a good movie. How dare you!

I'm so offended...so mad.

how dare you

Bleed For This
Southpaw
Cinderella Man
were all good too.

I rember liking it, but it’s been so long since I’ve seen it I can’t be 100% sure who won or who was the good vs “bad” guy.

Memory seems to serve me as snipes was a quiet guy in his cell and Ving was the loud one but that’s about all I remeber.

Cinderella man is probably the best boxing film of all time

My favorite boxing movie is Play It To The Bone

Undisputed sucked and so did all the other non Rocky movies except:
Cinderella Man
Raging Bull
The Fighter

Love this shit. What a gem
The end fight when Marshal, who is in fantastic shape and in his late 20's fights fat, early 60's Brian Dennahey, who's main strategy is to get Marshall to punch the top of his head. I can't make this shit up guys.

Love this shit. What a gem

I actually seen this movie in the theaters when I was little. Every time I talk about this movie some asshole always tells me "NO" that's the movie with Russell Crowe.

Part 2 and 3 are way better action movies...
Not boxing per se tho

Undisputed is an awesome boxing movie. Not a masterpiece like Rocky or Raging Bull but I enjoyed it for what it was. Some other favorites:

The Fighter (Christian Bale deserved that Oscar)
Creed
Rocky III ( Love me some Clubber Lang)
Cinderella Man

My favorite boxing movie is Play It To The Bone

Very underrated boxing movie. Surprised Woody Harrelson and Antonio Banderas didn't do any more movies together. They had great chemistry on screen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnMicMMA
Back