• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC fighters make more than boxers

DOMMA

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
These recent stats may surprise a lot of people who thinks boxers are paid more than UFC fighters.

The average UFC fighter made $160,022 in 2021, up from average earnings of $146,673 in 2020. 256 fighters (42%) earned six-figures in 2021, up from 219 fighters (38%) in 2020. 116 fighters (19%) made less than the average U.S. income ($25,000). The highest-paid UFC fighter was Conor McGregor, with $10,022,000 (without PPV bonuses).

The median salary for a professional boxer is $51,370, which may surprise many of you looking to become a professional boxer. This means that half of the professional boxers competing today earned less than this amount. Only the top 1% of all professional boxers earn more than a million dollars per year, the lowest 10% of all professional boxers earn less than $19,220 per year.

These recent stats may surprise a lot of people who thinks boxers are paid more than UFC fighters.

The average UFC fighter made $160,022 in 2021, up from average earnings of $146,673 in 2020. 256 fighters (42%) earned six-figures in 2021, up from 219 fighters (38%) in 2020. 116 fighters (19%) made less than the average U.S. income ($25,000). The highest-paid UFC fighter was Conor McGregor, with $10,022,000 (without PPV bonuses).

The median salary for a professional boxer is $51,370, which may surprise many of you looking to become a professional boxer. This means that half of the professional boxers competing today earned less than this amount. Only the top 1% of all professional boxers earn more than a million dollars per year, the lowest 10% of all professional boxers earn less than $19,220 per year.
You wanna control for ranking or drawing power or you just like making useless comparisons?

Also lol at comparing median salary to average salary when you have Conor skewing the average so much.

They have paid more for years now but too many people just listen to Jake Paul instead of actually doing their own research. Avenue94 to say Connor skews the average is laughable. Floyd Mayweather, Canelo, and the 3 heavyweight champions skew boxing numbers. Floyd handled his own promotion and that is why he went from making $1 million to $100 million per fight. Since Floyd is retired now I would love to hear how many American boxers make $1 million per fight. I am going to guess it is under 5 guys. I bet that the UFC has more than 10 guys.

Yet they make less than FEMALE golfers and some top badminton and ping pong players

Well yeah, you're comparing the UFC, an organization, to the entire sport of boxing. The UFC has a minimum salary and an increase in income based on continuing to fight. If you're fighting at the bottom tier of the UFC you may not be making much but you're doing better than a no name at the bottom of some random boxing card.

You wanna control for ranking or drawing power or you just like making useless comparisons?

Also lol at comparing median salary to average salary when you have Conor skewing the average so much.
One could argue you have Wilder and other boxers making top dollar skewing and raising the boxing medium.

Wilder made 30 mil in his trilogy fight. Fuck off with Conor's 10 mil

Average vs median. Median eliminates all the top boxers making ridiculous amount of money that MMA fighters can only dream of.

The real question is , will there be a day when boxers start wanting to go to MMA for money, and when do you think that will be?

One could argue you have Wilder and other boxers making top dollar skewing and raising the boxing medium.
I'm really trying to be polite here (and have a little fun at your expense), because we interact in other threads and you seem cool, but doublecheck your stats hw. Medians do not skew. Unless you mean literal medium (aka average), but TS is using median.
Average vs median. Median eliminates all the top boxers making ridiculous amount of money that MMA fighters can only dream of.

The real question is , will there be a day when boxers start wanting to go to MMA for money, and when do you think that will be?
When a boxer is so washed or so bored they do it. UFC would rather slit its own throat before paying boxers 60 percent of event revenue while trying to hush hush pay fighters under 20 percent. Not even sure Dana could lie his way out of that one.
Wilder made 30 mil in his trilogy fight. Fuck off with Conor's 10 mil
I mean it does say without PPV. I think for his past couple fights high teens is a fair stab at what he makes. People grossly exaggerate his earnings early in his career.

now compare the earnings of the top ufc fighters vs the top boxers...

nYkHK3Y.gif

They have paid more for years now but too many people just listen to Jake Paul instead of actually doing their own research. Avenue94 to say Connor skews the average is laughable. Floyd Mayweather, Canelo, and the 3 heavyweight champions skew boxing numbers. Floyd handled his own promotion and that is why he went from making $1 million to $100 million per fight. Since Floyd is retired now I would love to hear how many American boxers make $1 million per fight. I am going to guess it is under 5 guys. I bet that the UFC has more than 10 guys.
The jake paul thing really did expose alot of casuals and wimpy sissies in this forum. For sure its an annoying situation,but they actually allowed it to shake their faith in the sport,which is absolutley laughable, These people should be humiliated and outed at all times.

You're comparing fighters in the ufc who appear on espn vs the average boxer that nobody has ever heard of and might not have even fought in a bout on tv. MMA is the sport, not the UFC. The average UFC fighter is way more well known than the average boxer because the UFC is the biggest platform in mma.

They have paid more for years now but too many people just listen to Jake Paul instead of actually doing their own research.
Alright, tell me how much more the UFC has increased fighter pay.
Floyd Mayweather, Canelo, and the 3 heavyweight champions skew boxing numbers
Bro, do you understand what medians are?
Floyd handled his own promotion and that is why he went from making $1 million to $100 million per fight.
So he went from making more money than UFC champs, while a prospect, to making way more money than UFC champs put together?
Floyd is retired now I would love to hear how many American boxers make $1 million per fight. I am going to guess it is under 5 guys. I bet that the UFC has more than 10 guys.
Rough napkin math on American fighters who have made more than $1 million a fight (Also, why just American, but sure)

UFC: Masvidal, Holloway (maybe), Aljo (if a PPV does well), Dustin Poirier, Usman, Jon Jones, Rose (maybe with a good headliner above her), Colby Covington (maybe), Miesha Tate, Nunes, Holly Holm, Stipe

Boxing: Andy Ruiz, Deontay Wilder, David Benavidez, Caleb Plant, Daniel Jacobs, Jermall Charlo, Demetrius Andrade, Jermell Charlo, Errol Spend Jr, Terrence Crawford, Yordenis Ugas, Keith Thurman, Regis Prograis (maybe), Teofimo Lopez, Devin Haney, Gervonta Davis, Ryan Garcia, JoJo Diaz (maybe), Shakur Stevenson , Jemel Herring, Leo Santa Cruz, Gary Russell Jr (maybe)

Each list might be missing a few but I got about twice as many boxers who've made a 7 figure payday and are still semi-active. You going to admit you don't know shit about pay in combat sports, or nah?

P.S. Keep in mind that the UFC is far more U.S. dominated than boxing, so this millionaire disparity gets even worse if we don't bias it toward just Murica.

It has been established that boxers make significantly more then their MMA counterparts. Makes complete sense if you think about how much longer boxing has been around.

I am not sure why my fellow MMA fans get so upset by this fact tbh.

It has been established that boxers make significantly more then their MMA counterparts. Makes complete sense if you think about how much longer boxing has been around.

I am not sure why my fellow MMA fans get so upset by this fact tbh.
Age of the sport does not affect compensation after a certain point. Boxing had its first non inflation adjusted purse in the 1920s. There are a few inflation adjusted 7 figure purses even earlier than that. UFC fighter pay isn't so low because of a lack of revenue it's because the UFC takes 80 percent of revenue.

V6VUINA72ENVFPVFJCU6FUY2CE.jpg

Back