Television The Boys Spinoff GEN V (Premieres Sept. 29)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: September 24, 2020

THE BOYS Spinoff in the Works at Amazon Following Massive Season 2 Launch

qnMi4ii.jpeg

The Boys could soon be getting a spinoff. Variety has learned that Amazon is fast-tracking development on a new iteration of the popular comic book series adaptation.

The spinoff is set at America’s only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (or “supes”) that is run by Vought International. It is described as an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities. Part college show, part Hunger Games — with all the heart, satire and raunch of The Boys.

The news comes just under three weeks after the premiere of Season 2 of the series, which is based on The New York Times best-selling comic of the same name by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson. The second season is airing weekly, while the first dropped all at once, with the finale set to air Oct. 9. According to Amazon, the second season had the most-watched global launch of an Amazon original series ever, with the episodes to date having grown the audience from Season 1 by 89%. It was renewed for a third season ahead of the Season 2 premiere while also adding an aftershow hosted by Aisha Tyler.

Craig Rosenberg is writing the pilot and will serve as showrunner and executive producer under his overall deal with Sony Pictures Television, with Rosenberg currently serving as writer and executive producer on the original series. The Boys creator Eric Kripke will also executive produce along with The Boys executive producer Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and James Weaver of Point Grey Pictures. Original Film’s Neal H. Moritz and Pavun Shetty, who also executive produce The Boys, are also executive producers on the spinoff. Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television will produce.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-boys-spinoff-amazon-1234782755/

This sounds terrible. Maybe, a spinoff with the deep could work. Good luck to them, I like season 2 so far

Can't blame them. They've got a hit, and LOTS of competition. Might as well milk it.

it will also take away talent and resources from the boys leading to a diluted season 3.

As good as season one was, I'll give the spinoff at least a chance.

Update: September 24, 2020

THE BOYS Spinoff in the Works at Amazon Following Massive Season 2 Launch

qnMi4ii.jpeg

The Boys could soon be getting a spinoff. Variety has learned that Amazon is fast-tracking development on a new iteration of the popular comic book series adaptation.

The spinoff is set at America’s only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (or “supes”) that is run by Vought International. It is described as an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities. Part college show, part Hunger Games — with all the heart, satire and raunch of The Boys.

The news comes just under three weeks after the premiere of Season 2 of the series, which is based on The New York Times best-selling comic of the same name by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson. The second season is airing weekly, while the first dropped all at once, with the finale set to air Oct. 9. According to Amazon, the second season had the most-watched global launch of an Amazon original series ever, with the episodes to date having grown the audience from Season 1 by 89%. It was renewed for a third season ahead of the Season 2 premiere while also adding an aftershow hosted by Aisha Tyler.

Craig Rosenberg is writing the pilot and will serve as showrunner and executive producer under his overall deal with Sony Pictures Television, with Rosenberg currently serving as writer and executive producer on the original series. The Boys creator Eric Kripke will also executive produce along with The Boys executive producer Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and James Weaver of Point Grey Pictures. Original Film’s Neal H. Moritz and Pavun Shetty, who also executive produce The Boys, are also executive producers on the spinoff. Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television will produce.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-boys-spinoff-amazon-1234782755/

shut-up-and-take-my-money-gif.gif

This sounds terrible. Maybe, a spinoff with the deep could work. Good luck to them, I like season 2 so far
Does not need to happen.

This "college" is one of the key things in the comic. I know they're not doing direct comic to TV show translation, but it's also one of the biggest moments in defining who Hughie is and how he reacts to supes.

Basically, there are tiers of supe groups, as was already established in the TV show. But the comic goes a bit more into why (and the history of it), as well as the implications of such hierarchy.

No surprise to anyone, money is the biggest influence here (no different than the points aspect that was discussed in Season 1), and groups are fighting for domination. Everyone thinks "bigger" guys hate the new ones bcs they are going to take a piece of their point later on. But afterwards we find out that the new guys have to murder the bigger guys in order to replace them, bcs there's simply not enough money to go around. It's a well know fact to everyone inside.

Hughie infiltrates one of the smaller groups and sees there is absolutely no moral compass in either of the teen supes (orgies, boys pissing in each other's mouths, the whole nine yards) and that there's something weird going on. The rest of the Boys relate it to the fact they are super and who the f cares. Hughie finds out all of them are taken from their parents at a young age and molested by the head of the school (and other supes) so they are not to "blame" for not having any moral compass as they just don't know any better (and the fact they are teenagers, left completely unchecked by everyone in that institution).

Something in Hughie clicks and he is then committed to take on Vaught and the 7.

I know, I know, I am preaching about the source material and have turned into one of the fanboys. But this part of the comic (We Gotta Go Now) is amazing. It is much more than just a superhero academy type of thing TV show. This is not X-men mansion nor a "disturbing/different" super hero high school thing (Umbrelly academy). This is an utterly f***ed up story. The Boys level f***ed up. Highly recommended.

I can't believe America is so retarded they actually watch capeshit.

"Huh, some people like TV series/movie genres I don't. Go figure."

Come into superhero TV series thread and flame the very idea of it. Bet you're crushing it at parties.

At least I don't get butthurt when someone calls me out on watching flicks obviously made for children and sub-70 IQ hollywood victims.
Go watch good movies instead of being butthurt that someone calls a shit movie shit.

At least I don't get butthurt when someone calls me out on watching flicks obviously made for children and sub-70 IQ hollywood victims.
Go watch good movies instead of being butthurt that someone calls a shit movie shit.
Not butthurt at all. We all have preferences. You do you. Have a great day!

Update: October 2, 2020

THE BOYS Showrunner Reveals College Spinoff Loosely Inspired by X-Men Parody from Comics

L2aYVjU.jpg

Just a few weeks ahead of The Boys season 2 finale, Amazon Prime Video revealed it had fast-tracked development on a spinoff series set at a superhero college run by Vought International. This untitled potential show will be based in part on the G-Men — a blatant parody of Marvel’s X-Men characters — from Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson’s The Boys comic book series, according to showrunner Eric Kripke.

“I would say it’s loosely inspired by an element of the comics, which is the G-Men. Part of the G-Men is there’s sort of an educational, college experience,” The Boys showrunner told TheWrap. “And we just used that as a jumping-off point, kind of similar to The Boys, where we sort of take an initial notion and then we are going to run with it in our own weird direction.”

The spinoff series will be executive produced by Kripke, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who developed The Boys for Amazon, as well as Craig Rosenberg, who is writing the pilot.

“Me and Seth and Evan and Craig Rosenberg, we don’t feel the need to jam spinoffs out there,” Kripke said. “We were just talking and we stumbled onto this idea and we were so excited about it, we took it to Amazon. Because we think there’s a real opportunity to see another part of the Vought world. But probably, more importantly, to make a show that isn’t really made that often, which is what we love about it, which is, as The Boys is an unflinching look at reality, the goal for this is to make this superhero show one of the most realistic college shows anyone’s made. And really deal with real college issues and really explore what it’s like to be that age.”

If you were wondering whether or not we’ll see The Boys crossover with its spinoff — should that show be ordered to series — Kripke isn’t sure just yet. But he does say “we’re not spinning off characters into it, they just exist in the same universe.”

https://www.thewrap.com/eric-kripke-the-boys-supe-college-spinoff/

I don't like it. I imagine they will try a light hearted Skins* ( old British TV series) with some superpowers and mild adventures related to whatever fad is happening on US campuses. Unoriginal.

"Quirky college guys and gals explore their sexuality, relationships and the take on adulthood with a caveat: they are posed to be the next generation of superheroes. If great power comes with great responsibility, how will our young American soon-to-be heroes survive the Vought College experience and all its temptations and requirements?" Meh.

* I remember liking the initial seasons a lot. Top teenage TV drama and coming of age. Absolute mad lads those Brit execs.

Back