STREET FIGHTER V-v6:CE - 2020 Summer Update. Dan, Oro, Rose, Akira and ??? Join the cast.

I only get to play like once a week now, and it's tough to keep reactions up if you're only playing that often. I need to try and manage my time better to see if I can squeeze in like an hour a day after my evening classes.

Honestly, even if you can fit in 30-45mins a day you’ll see yourself get better. I know it sucks, but I have been watching replays and they have really been helping. For instance, I see myself whiffing buttons in neutral for no reason, doing HK Koku when the opponent is in jump in range, where to utilize my cr.hp with YZ. You start to see patterns you’re doing. One thing Pnoy told me to do was use Evernote, watch your replays and write down things not to do. Before every match, read your Evernote to remind yourself to stay focused on not doing the things you’re trying to eliminate during the match. Also, from SF Twitter, a lot of pros say to just work on specific things for that practice session (and in live matches). It has been helping me out a ton, but that’s just my 2 cents.

Oh and Pnoy’s Evernote not only has an ‘all-up’ of what not to do, but he also has character specific things to stay focused on.

Got to play for the first time since like last Wednesday. Figured I'd just stay up because tomorrow is the last day before spring break, and I want to play some DMC5 once it unlocks. Lost about 300 points, but I finally blew up some gimmicky nonsense with light punishes/ex dps. Lost to two Giefs in a row though and that was annoying. I think I should just pressure Gief instead of trying to zone him because Sagat can brawl with him just fine. Despite the losses, I did punish the gold Gief because he tried to mix me up after lp. spd, and I know that's not real.

Took two games off a gold Birdie because he insisted on using that ex head butt move. I guess the first time I punished that with ex dp he thought I was mashing and didn't know the frame data. I do wish Sagat actually had a meterless punish for that move, but neither jab nor lk are in range. Also protected my points from an Alex player by punishing elbow with lk > dp. Now if I can just punish dash punch with jab -> dp and start dping crossups I think I'll be set on defense.

Also, it turns out Sagat does get a good knock down off of ex tiger shots, and I took advantage of that even thoughI hate giving up the guaranteed damage.

Last edited:
Got to play for the first time since like last Wednesday. Figured I'd just stay up because tomorrow is the last day before spring break, and I want to play some DMC5 once it unlocks. Lost about 300 points, but I finally blew up some gimmicky nonsense with light punishes/ex dps. Lost to two Giefs in a row though and that was annoying. I think I should just pressure Gief instead of trying to zone him because Sagat can brawl with him just fine. Despite the losses, I did punish the gold Gief because he tried to mix me up after lp. spd, and I know that's not real.

Took two games off a gold Birdie because he insisted on using that ex head butt move. I guess the first time I punished that with ex dp he thought I was mashing and didn't know the frame data. I do wish Sagat actually had a meterless punish for that move, but neither jab nor lk are in range. Also protected my points from an Alex player by punishing elbow with lk > dp. Now if I can just punish dash punch with jab -> dp and start dping crossups I think I'll be set on defense.

Also, it turns out Sagat does get a good knock down off of ex tiger shots, and I took advantage of that even thoughI hate giving up the guaranteed damage.

I’m getting a lot better at the Gief matchup, but I’ve been in plenty of his vortexes and they suck. I typically stay Old and can keep him out with AA’s and Koku’s. But one wrong Koku and it’s a struggle. But Old Zeku has an ExDP so he has to be mindful of that. Playing Young is hard because he can V-Skill on my meaty and then I’m in the blender with no DP. Alex is a tough MU but I think staying old is the way to go there. Keeping him out is the key and because his normals are better than YZ’s. Right now my hardest MU is Laura. God she’s annoying.

I went to the Victrix Pro event and went 1-2. But I did take a round off of Filipinoman haha. I also picked up this stick.

A9D490D8-DE1B-4306-BCA2-CDD82F13DA46.jpeg

I also started an Evernote supplement. I look at it before every match to help remind me of things to do and not to do which is helping to break bad habits. Here’s an example:

B37251DF-6046-409E-A2C6-FA098FAF4DB7.png

I kind of want a new stick, but I figure that at this point I might as well wait until the next round of consoles.

Damn. Punk should never have switched away from Karin. His play was nuts in grand finals.

Damn. Punk should never have switched away from Karin. His play was nuts in grand finals.

While I agree that a lot of the game is 50/50 and meaty heavy, the neutral game and whiff punishes in the Top 8 were excellent. Punk is the absolute best at it right now, no doubt about it. Karin has a great neutral game and excellent normals and every confirm he hit, he went into a combo. I thought it was a very entertaining Top 8. It’s hard to watch that Top 8 and turn around and say “SFV has no neutral”.

While I agree that a lot of the game is 50/50 and meaty heavy, the neutral game and whiff punishes in the Top 8 were excellent. Punk is the absolute best at it right now, no doubt about it. Karin has a great neutral game and excellent normals and every confirm he hit, he went into a combo. I thought it was a very entertaining Top 8. It’s hard to watch that Top 8 and turn around and say “SFV has no neutral”.

It's literally buffering in space, the neutral game is ass. Karin has good buttons compared to almost the entirety of the cast. It's not impressive when characters with good normals beat the shit out of character with mediocre to bad normals.

It's literally buffering in space, the neutral game is ass. Karin has good buttons compared to almost the entirety of the cast. It's not impressive when characters with good normals beat the shit out of character with mediocre to bad normals.

It’s impressive when one good player beats another good player when they both understand the mechanics of the game. You may not like the game, but the neutral IMO was fantastic in Top 8. I saw Punk moving in and out of range to whiff punish Momochi multiple times. Funny that Momochi beat his protégé (a Karin with better normals) with his mediocre normals to make it into GF.

It’s impressive when one good player beats another good player when they both understand the mechanics of the game. You may not like the game, but the neutral IMO was fantastic in Top 8. I saw Punk moving in and out of range to whiff punish Momochi multiple times. Funny that Momochi beat his protégé (a Karin with better normals) with his mediocre normals to make it into GF.

The neutral game is still shit compared to other titles though. Momochi's protoge isn't as good as Punk, doesn't have the mind games like Punk, and doesn't play neutral the same way as Punk. Not everyone is setting up or looking for the same confirms into combos. There are optimal routes and then there are routes players just want to do as a mix up or put the opponent in a position for a different mix up. Yes, they use similar block strings and frame traps but when they use them can differ.

Just look at Fujimura and Xian. Xian tries to do way more mix up heavy play with Ibuki and Fujimura's neutral is way better. Their set ups are different. It's not just characters. The game play itself is incredibly linear but that doesn't mean there is no variation. Just significantly less than other titles.

The neutral game is still shit compared to other titles though. Momochi's protoge isn't as good as Punk, doesn't have the mind games like Punk, and doesn't play neutral the same way as Punk. Not everyone is setting up or looking for the same confirms into combos. There are optimal routes and then there are routes players just want to do as a mix up or put the opponent in a position for a different mix up. Yes, they use similar block strings and frame traps but when they use them can differ.

Just look at Fujimura and Xian. Xian tries to do way more mix up heavy play with Ibuki and Fujimura's neutral is way better. Their set ups are different. It's not just characters. The game play itself is incredibly linear but that doesn't mean there is no variation. Just significantly less than other titles.

They all have their differences. I’m really not a fan of the CC system at all. There’s no Risk vs Reward (Akuma’s cr.fierce is +3 on block and YZ is -5?) Not to mention Rashid and Urien. I also hate the fact that you could be winning a match and all someone needs is a mk confirm into VT and you’re in blender city. But I am enjoying the footsies the more I understand and practice them. We have a pretty strong community in San Diego and we have some decent players with a good weekly turnout. It’s fun learning from these guys.

But yea, Punk is on another level and his hit-confirms were much better. It showed in the mirror match leading up to GF. I agree that the game is extremely linear and that’s what can make it boring to watch. As a Zeku main, Momochi isn’t my favorite Zeku. There’s another Grand Master Online who’s Zeku is much more entertaining. Hell, even Sanfords is fun to watch. But it is difficult to see variations in play with certain characters (Rashid being one).

Also was itazan back on gief????

Did snake eyes get back on gief?
I think Ultradavid mentioned on commentary that Itabashi thinks Gief is top 5, and the one time that I saw him on stream he was playing Gief. My guess is he'll still bring out Abigail in at least some match ups though.

I’m getting a lot better at the Gief matchup, but I’ve been in plenty of his vortexes and they suck. I typically stay Old and can keep him out with AA’s and Koku’s. But one wrong Koku and it’s a struggle. But Old Zeku has an ExDP so he has to be mindful of that. Playing Young is hard because he can V-Skill on my meaty and then I’m in the blender with no DP. Alex is a tough MU but I think staying old is the way to go there. Keeping him out is the key and because his normals are better than YZ’s. Right now my hardest MU is Laura. God she’s annoying.

I went to the Victrix Pro event and went 1-2. But I did take a round off of Filipinoman haha. I also picked up this stick.

View attachment 540321

I also started an Evernote supplement. I look at it before every match to help remind me of things to do and not to do which is helping to break bad habits. Here’s an example:

View attachment 540323

Back