Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
good music, good beating, good vibe

Bonus:

Bonus 2:

(fast forward to 0:37)

....that girl get it right upward her nose <45> :

A guitar tech for Animals as Leaders died recently in a pit after getting hit by a douche flailing around. This came up in another thread, but real men don't throw kicks/punches in the pit. A death/thrash band actually wrote a song about this called "No Karate in the Pit." See track #4.

"No Karate in the Pit" by Dystopian

Shit is literally retarded, the type of shit I did when I was 5 years old doing karate to Michael Jackson songs.

I'm old AF, but in the pit was bouncing, hopping, kind of marching in circles, lots of bumping and pushing, no punching or kicking. When I was doing it, I described it as ritual combat. You would test the strength of everyone else, but not try to hurt them. Lots of bro-hand shakes and back patting when the music stopped. There were broken things and ripped clothing....

salute-crying.gif
salute-crying.gif
AF, but in the pit was bouncing, hopping, kind of marching in circles, lots of bumping and pushing, no punching or kicking. When I was doing it, I described it as ritual combat. You would test the strength of everyone else, but not try to hurt them. Lots of bro-hand shakes and back patting when the music stopped. There were broken things and ripped clothing....
I lost a camo crock in the pit

A guitar tech for Animals as Leaders died recently in a pit after getting hit by a douche flailing around. This came up in another thread, but real men don't throw kicks/punches in the pit. A death/thrash band actually wrote a song about this called "No Karate in the Pit." See track #4.

"No Karate in the Pit" by Dystopian
It is both sad and amazing seeing how stupid people can ruin things for everybody. And there seem to be a surplus of stupid people in the more recent generations of kids.

I went to a bunch of shows in the 90s and the etiquette was known and observed while unspoken, and I think it stems from the fact that people were less likely to be absolute useless selfish assholes.

Real simple:

Have fun.
Arms down.
Don't be a fucking spaz.
Be aware of your body, your actions and the people around you.

No punches. No kicks.

Don't be a fucking asshole, and if you do, there is a good chance that people will educate you.

And I really don't remember there being many problems and I don't recall anyone getting hurt, even in some pretty wild pits. People were bouncing around off of eachother like pinballs on crack, contact was almost always with the shoulder or back, and everyone went home, not to the hospital and not with brain damage.

If you lost brain cells, it was from drugs, not CTE.

It is both sad and amazing seeing how stupid people can ruin things for everybody. And there seem to be a surplus of stupid people in the more recent generations of kids.

I went to a bunch of shows in the 90s and the etiquette was known and observed while unspoken, and I think it stems from the fact that people were less likely to be absolute useless selfish assholes.

Real simple:

Have fun.
Arms down.
Don't be a fucking spaz.

No punches. No kicks.

Don't be a fucking asshole, and if you do, there is a good chance that people will educate you.

And I really don't remember there being many problems and I don't recall anyone getting hurt, even in some pretty wild pits. People were bouncing around off of eachother like pinballs on crack, contact was almost always with the shoulder or back, and everyone went home, not to the hospital and not with brain damage.

Yeah and the other rule is if someone goes down, you help 'em up. The singer of Goatwhore educated the crowd about pit etiquette at a show I was at recently. George from Cannibal Corpse will call out assholes and remind them they are outnumbered. Death metal shows generally are still fine (I was there in the 90s too, and have been to a bunch of shows in the last 4 years), even with wild pits. Even more mainstream stuff like Gojira and Lamb of God is usually fine. That said, a hardcore band opened up for a couple thrash bands at a local show recently, and the karate douches were there in numbers. Lot of bystanders got hit, incl. a girl who was not in the pit. Seems like it's all about subgenre these days.

Yeah and the other rule is if someone goes down, you help 'em up. The singer of Goatwhore educated the crowd about pit etiquette at a show I was at recently. George from Cannibal Corpse will call out assholes and remind them they are outnumbered. Death metal shows generally are still fine (I was there in the 90s too, and have been to a bunch of shows in the last 4 years), even with wild pits. Even more mainstream stuff like Gojira and Lamb of God is usually fine. That said, a hardcore band opened up for a couple thrash bands at a local show recently, and the karate douches were there in numbers. Lot of bystanders got hit, incl. a girl who was not in the pit. Seems like it's all about subgenre these days.
Is it the genre or the age?

Lamb of God and Cannibal Corpse have been around since the 90s if I am not mistaken, or very close to it so I would assume their fans probably came up in the same better behaved scenes you and I encountered.

Good point about helping people up.

I remember seeing this ENORMOUS dude go down in a crowd. It might have been Woodstock 99, or maybe lollapolooza because I have this distinct memory of seeing the look of sheer panic on this kid's face because of the very real danger of the situation and the force of the crowd. No joke I think he was probably 6 foot 7inches (2+meters) or taller and probably 350+ pounds, so kind of like King Hippo in Punch Out, once he went down, getting up was no easy task.

I couldn't pull him up by myself, but I was legit scared that he might get trampled, and I remember trying to pull him up and EVERYONE nearby working together to get this giant fucker back on his feet. People were pushing outwards like a rugby scrum to create space and at least 4 other people got a grips on the guy under the guys shoulders and on his arms and I grabbed his wrist and we lifted that big fucker back up.

I do remember that being the default setting though. Even in rowdy shows where people were smashing around pretty hard, if someone went down or got a bloody nose, they would always receive help from complete strangers.

It’s the genre. Tough guy hardcore will always have dancing like that. There will always be fights and people getting jumped/picked on. Most of the other genres of punk/metal have circle pits or push moshing for the most part

Is it the genre or the age?

Lamb of God and Cannibal Corpse have been around since the 90s if I am not mistaken, or very close to it so I would assume their fans probably came up in the same better behaved scenes you and I encountered.

Good point about helping people up.

I remember seeing this ENORMOUS dude go down in a crowd. It might have been Woodstock 99, or maybe lollapolooza because I have this distinct memory of seeing the look of sheer panic on this kid's face because of the very real danger of the situation and the force of the crowd. No joke I think he was probably 6 foot 7inches (2+meters) or taller and probably 350+ pounds, so kind of like King Hippo in Punch Out, once he went down, getting up was no easy task.

I couldn't pull him up by myself, but I was legit scared that he might get trampled, and I remember trying to pull him up and EVERYONE nearby working together to get this giant fucker back on his feet. People were pushing outwards like a rugby scrum to create space and at least 4 other people got a grips on the guy under the guys shoulders and on his arms and I grabbed his wrist and we lifted that big fucker back up.

I do remember that being the default setting though. Even in rowdy shows where people were smashing around pretty hard, if someone went down or got a bloody nose, they would always receive help from complete strangers.
What I really hate is when big guys crowd surf. Sucks getting a 260 lber dropped on your head. I'm waaaay too old for that. Crowds are interesting - Metallica these days is chill, lots of older people at the shows. Cannibal in contrast, mostly younger people. The Cannibal crowds now mostly are what Metallica crowds looked like in the 80s.

What I really hate is when big guys crowd surf. Sucks getting a 260 lber dropped on your head. I'm waaaay too old for that. Crowds are interesting - Metallica these days is chill, lots of older people at the shows. Cannibal in contrast, mostly younger people. The Cannibal crowds now mostly are what Metallica crowds looked like in the 80s.
I have seen Mettalica 3-4x, all later than I would have preferred.

I would have loved to catch them on the train wreck disastrous GnR tour, which I believe would have been black album and Use Your Illusion, man that would have been sweet.

I saw them at Woodstock 99, I saw them twice in college and one of those shows was the "SnM" show. My roommate and I snuck into the blocked off sections behind the stage and we were able to get maybe 5 feet away from the musicians in the back rows of the orchestra. I'm a musician, primary instrument is piano, my roommate was also a musician and he had played timpani in his high school band, we were close enough to be able to follow along with the sheet music which was pretty cool.

A few bands I would recommend if you are into heavy music:

Ministry

I caught them at a small venue called the "Crazy Donkey" in Long Island and their sound was excellent, really rich and powerful and performance was so tight.

I had never followed them, I just vaguely remember seeing kids in high school in their T shirts, but their show really impressed me.

Prong

I was literally just walking down the street in Hollywood, in probably 2006 or so, and heard a really good heavy metal sounding band. We hung out for 2 songs outside and decided to buy tickets and check it out and their show was phenomenal. They had the biggest, fullest sound I have ever hears from a 3 piece, and they used interesting tunings and had very creative songs, not the dropped D same old tricks that a million other bands tend to do, the type of stuff that would still sound musically impressive if you played it on a acoustic guitar with no distortion or FX.

Reactions: Zer
I have seen Mettalica 3-4x, all later than I would have preferred.

I would have loved to catch them on the train wreck disastrous GnR tour, which I believe would have been black album and Use Your Illusion, man that would have been sweet.

I saw them at Woodstock 99, I saw them twice in college and one of those shows was the "SnM" show. My roommate and I snuck into the blocked off sections behind the stage and we were able to get maybe 5 feet away from the musicians in the back rows of the orchestra. I'm a musician, primary instrument is piano, my roommate was also a musician and he had played timpani in his high school band, we were close enough to be able to follow along with the sheet music which was pretty cool.

A few bands I would recommend if you are into heavy music:

Ministry

I caught them at a small venue called the "Crazy Donkey" in Long Island and their sound was excellent, really rich and powerful and performance was so tight.

I had never followed them, I just vaguely remember seeing kids in high school in their T shirts, but their show really impressed me.

Prong

I was literally just walking down the street in Hollywood, in probably 2006 or so, and heard a really good heavy metal sounding band. We hung out for 2 songs outside and decided to buy tickets and check it out and their show was phenomenal. They had the biggest, fullest sound I have ever hears from a 3 piece, and they used interesting tunings and had very creative songs, not the dropped D same old tricks that a million other bands tend to do, the type of stuff that would still sound musically impressive if you played it on a acoustic guitar with no distortion or FX.
I got to see Prong a couple years back opening for Obituary and Black Label Society. They were lots of fun.

Metallica - I'm old. First show I went to was opening for Ozzy supporting Master of Puppets, most recent was the 72 Seasons tour. I'm beyond jealous about the SnM tour - that would be incredible to see live.

Going to travel to catch the Metal Crushes all Tour next spring - Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, and Amon Amarth. Beyond wonderful.

I got to see Prong a couple years back opening for Obituary and Black Label Society. They were lots of fun.

Metallica - I'm old. First show I went to was opening for Ozzy supporting Master of Puppets, most recent was the 72 Seasons tour. I'm beyond jealous about the SnM tour - that would be incredible to see live.

Going to travel to catch the Metal Crushes all Tour next spring - Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, and Amon Amarth. Beyond wonderful.
Have a fucking amazing time at those shows please sir.
<RomeroSalute>

Real simple:

Have fun.
Arms down.
Don't be a fucking spaz.

No punches. No kicks.

I'm a metal fan and this hardcore dancing is pretty dumb and dangerous. The bolded has been my experience as well, and if someone gets knocked over you all stop and wait until they're up before the carnage resumes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back