• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sherdog children: How are your parents' jobs going?

dissectingaorticaneurysm

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I know a lot of Sherdoggers have seen their parents switch from going to the office to becoming de-facto working from home. How are they handling this transition?

-What kind of technology are they using to communicate with their bosses/coworkers?
-Is your parent still completing their job tasks?
-How has communication been between their office and your parents?
-How has this affected their job performance assessments?
-How long until they go back to work?
-Has the general attitude of your parents changed in regards to work?

There are kids on here exposed to this shit? We should all be locked up..

dad maintenance man about to retire which he hates because he will be exposed to mother
mom accountant and hates working from home because she has to be exposed to father

I don't think you made enough copies of this thread.

I know a lot of Sherdoggers have seen their parents switch from going to the office to becoming de-facto working from home. How are they handling this transition?

-What kind of technology are they using to communicate with their bosses/coworkers?

They are happily retired, haven't truly worked for twenty years since their forties when they reached financial freedom. So I will answer for myself.

- There is no mandatory quarantine in my region, so there is no communication issues. Either face to face or IM on smartphones.
- I still go to work everyday, I lose less money if I close down shop and lay off my employees, but I really don't want to do that to them and the loyal customers that are still doing business with us.
- Operationally, it's business as usual as far as communication goes.
- The toughest part as a business owner is to see employees having not enough to do, that's really bad for moral, but this is a special time so in my mind, I am taking the pandemic period out of equation for year end reviews.
- I will try to keep the business open as much as I can. If the business volume shrinks further because of the pandemic, then I have more difficult choice ahead of me.
- Not much attitude change as far as I can tell. We've been doing a lot more housekeeping job that we normally were too busy to do this time of the year to take advantage of the slow business. I hope my employees understand how hard of a hit my business is taking and would reciprocate in my time of need.

They are dead, either looking down smilin' or lookin' up from the flames ‍♂️

Lol this reminds me of the movie Equilibrium where the kids are asked to keep tabs on their parents and the protagonist's son threatens to report him for not taking the government-mandated drug Prozium.

On that note though, that movie was awesome and worth watching again. Criminally underrated, it stars pre-Batman Christian Bale. It's a little cheesy but so were movies like The Matrix and John Wick, but the Equilibrium fight scenes are better IMO:

Parents retired last year.

Dad walks more and has lost 15 lbs.

My retired parents on SS are really enjoying the economic relief checks they were given to make up for the income they didn't lose.

My mom is 76. Leading the quiet life, not taking any chances. She misses her routine social interactions but she understands it may be a while.

Lol this reminds me of the movie Equilibrium where the kids are asked to keep tabs on their parents and the protagonist's son threatens to report him for not taking the government-mandated drug Prozium.

On that note though, that movie was awesome and worth watching again. Criminally underrated, it stars pre-Batman Christian Bale. It's a little cheesy but so were movies like The Matrix and John Wick, but the Equilibrium fight scenes are better IMO:

Snitching on your elders was highly encouraged during Mao's time.

Snitching on your elders was highly encouraged during Mao's time.

That's clearly what the movie was going for. Dystopian government regulated future a la 1984 but with samurai gestapo enforcers and a modified swastika as the gov't symbol.

Was an interesting concept - absolute communist gov't but every citizen required to take state-provided drug that suppresses emotion, ego and animal spirits so everyone stays content to stay in their lane.

Last edited:
My parents are still working even though they are both semi-retired, but it keeps them busy and my mom has really good medical. My mom is in her mid 60s and my dad is 70. If they wanted to they could retire completely, but they would probably be in better health if they keep working since both have jobs with some physical demands and mostly on their feet all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tophik
Back