Law House takes FISA renewal off the floor and back to committee after Trump says he would veto it

Democrat vote on this bill was 34-10. But by all means, never address the rot inside your own party.
How ironic to say someone else isn't calling out the rot in their own party. Did you?

This passed thru the Republican controlled Senate.

As some may know the Fourth Amendment is a big issue for me. Our rights to privacy and from unlawful search and seizure have eroded considerably since the passage of the Patriot Act in 2001. The act was supposed to Sunset in 2005, but instead it keeps getting renewed often with more draconian measures added.

Now, in their latest amendment of the Patriot Act, proposed by Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Senate has voted to give law enforcement agencies (FBI and CIA) the power to look into US citizens' browser history without a warrant.

The right to privacy does not end when life moves online. We still have confidential business matters to discuss, financial affairs to conduct, health, friendships, and relationships to care for, even religious services to attend. We have always been free to have private interactions with only those whom we wish to take into our confidence, while excluding everybody else.

This is not just more “spy” regulation. Not only would this give the FBI and the AG access to search histories and browser histories for activists, journalists, political opponents, etc., but it also would **require** companies like Facebook to monitor your communications using end-to-end encryption sites like ‎WhatsApp.

As those of you who are Americans know, we only have influence over our own senators from our states. That’s why it’s important that senators show up, and that Democrats, Libertarians and Republicans whose senators voted in support of this the first time make themselves heard.

Those of us whose senators already voted against it can’t do anything but watch now.

Here I’ve included both a liberal and conservative source, as this is really a bipartisan issue with which both sides have trampled on our freedoms. But it really highlights the hypocrisy of Republicans claiming to be for small government and constitutional rights.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-fbi-can-access-your-browsing-history-without-a-warrant-and-the-senate-is-to-blame%3f_amp=true

https://newrepublic.com/article/157693/congress-may-hand-bill-barr-keys-online-life

The dreaded ACLU is one of the groups fighting for our rights against unlawful search and seizure, this is a good Op-Ed from them:

https://www.aclu.org/news/national-security/our-privacy-is-on-the-clock/

As some may know the Fourth Amendment is a big issue for me. Our rights to privacy and from unlawful search and seizure have eroded considerably since the passage of the Patriot Act in 2001. The act was supposed to Sunset in 2005, but instead it keeps getting renewed often with more draconian measures added.

Now, in their latest amendment of the Patriot Act, proposed by Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Senate has voted to give law enforcement agencies (FBI and CIA) the power to look into US citizens' browser history without a warrant.

The right to privacy does not end when life moves online. We still have confidential business matters to discuss, financial affairs to conduct, health, friendships, and relationships to care for, even religious services to attend. We have always been free to have private interactions with only those whom we wish to take into our confidence, while excluding everybody else.

This is not just more “spy” regulation. Not only would this give the FBI and the AG access to search histories and browser histories for activists, journalists, political opponents, etc., but it also would **require** companies like Facebook to monitor your communications using end-to-end encryption sites like ‎WhatsApp.

As those of you who are Americans know, we only have influence over our own senators from our states. That’s why it’s important that senators show up, and that Democrats, Libertarians and Republicans whose senators voted in support of this the first time make themselves heard.

Those of us whose senators already voted against it can’t do anything but watch now.

Here I’ve included both a liberal and conservative source, as this is really a bipartisan issue with which both sides have trampled on our freedoms. But it really highlights the hypocrisy of Republicans claiming to be for small government and constitutional rights.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-fbi-can-access-your-browsing-history-without-a-warrant-and-the-senate-is-to-blame%3f_amp=true

https://newrepublic.com/article/157693/congress-may-hand-bill-barr-keys-online-life

The dreaded ACLU is one of the groups fighting for our rights against unlawful search and seizure, this is a good Op-Ed from them:

https://www.aclu.org/news/national-security/our-privacy-is-on-the-clock/
It's atrocious.

Land of the free...

It's ironic that one of the biggest pieces of unpatriotic, unconstitutional bullshit that was ever pushed through American legislation, ended up being called the "Patriot Act".

Figures.

Land of the free...
1589417666989.gif

I don't know how anyone could have any level of trust in the government. They're capable of doing anything.

So what’s your CT angle here, thst the government made up the Coronavirus to pass expansion of the patriot act?
No, but they're clearly using it to greatly increase their power

No, but they're clearly using it to greatly increase their power

I could see maybe if they came up with laws that made it legal to shutdown businesses in a time like this but we are talking about an extension to the Patriot Act. I mean if terrorist released COVID I’d agree they are doing something.

Here's a nice bipartisan issue we can all hopefully agree should be dealt with.

This is why we need to drop the 2 party model immediately

How ironic to say someone else isn't calling out the rot in their own party. Did you?

This passed thru the Republican controlled Senate.

I'd have to be a Republican to do that.

Use Brave browser with duckduckgo for some things. Tor with duckduckgo (and occasionally Google) for others. Those so-called VPNs aren't so private. Tor is the best VPN there is and it's free.

Back