Sean O’Malley Believes He’s 'Nightmare Matchup' for Merab Dvalishvili

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

Sean O'Malley will close the show for the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s historic card at The Sphere on Saturday, but he won’t be distracted by the spectacle of it all.

“It’s a big fight feel,” O’Malley told TMZ Sports. “It’s the first combat sporting event at The Sphere for the UFC, possibly the last for the UFC. One and done, so it’s a big deal.”

UFC 306 is expected to feature plenty of new production elements at the one-of-a-kind venue, including a movie between fights and different worlds depicted on the massive LED screen during the bouts themselves. However, when O’Malley steps into the cage to defend his bantamweight belt against Merab Dvalishvili in the evening’s headliner, his focus will be only on his opponent.

“I’m gonna show up, get into an Octagon — the same Octagon I always step into — and do what I do,” O’Malley said. “The whole presentation, the whole show, I’m really not going to enjoy it like a bystander. For me, [I’m] laser focused, tunnel vision, kill Merab — that’s all that’s on my mind. I don’t really care about all that extra stuff. It’ll be cool for the fans, but I have a mission.”

UFC 306: O'Malley vs. Dvalishvili Saturday at 10 ET on ESPN+. Order Now!

Merab’s relentless gas tank and wrestling — he has the most takedowns in UFC bantamweight history by a considerable margin — would seem to make him a difficult task for the striking-minded O’Malley. The champion sees things differently, though.

"I would say stylistically I'm a nightmare matchup for Merab,” O’Malley said.

With that being said, O’Malley is also well aware of Dvalishvili’s skills and he respects the challenge that his opponent will present.

"He's ranked No. 1. He's on a 10-fight win streak," O’Malley said. "The only reason he's never fought for a title or was never the champion is because Aljamain Sterling was there. He’s as dangerous as it gets. Cardio machine. He doesn't get tired. He's been rocked a few times, but he's got a good chin.

“He got rocked hard from Marlon Moraes and ended up finishing him. So he's very durable. He's got good cardio. He's obviously skilled. He's on a 10-fight win streak. He's very, very dangerous.”

He might be, or it could be the other way around.

Sean did counter Aljos grappling attempts well, but Merab is definitely better as a pure wrestler with a more smothering style.

It will be interesting to see if Sean can keep him off of him long enough to land a big bomb on him.

If not, Merab may wet blanket the shit out of him.

I bet on Suga.

The haters can hate all they like. They are blind and/or braindead.

Even that one guy "Sean is NOT a Star!" if you ask him what a star is, he says there's no stars except McGregor lol

That's the intelligence of the sugar haters.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sean O'Malley will close the show for the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s historic card at The Sphere on Saturday, but he won’t be distracted by the spectacle of it all.

“It’s a big fight feel,” O’Malley told TMZ Sports. “It’s the first combat sporting event at The Sphere for the UFC, possibly the last for the UFC. One and done, so it’s a big deal.”

UFC 306 is expected to feature plenty of new production elements at the one-of-a-kind venue, including a movie between fights and different worlds depicted on the massive LED screen during the bouts themselves. However, when O’Malley steps into the cage to defend his bantamweight belt against Merab Dvalishvili in the evening’s headliner, his focus will be only on his opponent.

“I’m gonna show up, get into an Octagon — the same Octagon I always step into — and do what I do,” O’Malley said. “The whole presentation, the whole show, I’m really not going to enjoy it like a bystander. For me, [I’m] laser focused, tunnel vision, kill Merab — that’s all that’s on my mind. I don’t really care about all that extra stuff. It’ll be cool for the fans, but I have a mission.”

UFC 306: O'Malley vs. Dvalishvili Saturday at 10 ET on ESPN+. Order Now!

Merab’s relentless gas tank and wrestling — he has the most takedowns in UFC bantamweight history by a considerable margin — would seem to make him a difficult task for the striking-minded O’Malley. The champion sees things differently, though.

"I would say stylistically I'm a nightmare matchup for Merab,” O’Malley said.

With that being said, O’Malley is also well aware of Dvalishvili’s skills and he respects the challenge that his opponent will present.

"He's ranked No. 1. He's on a 10-fight win streak," O’Malley said. "The only reason he's never fought for a title or was never the champion is because Aljamain Sterling was there. He’s as dangerous as it gets. Cardio machine. He doesn't get tired. He's been rocked a few times, but he's got a good chin.

“He got rocked hard from Marlon Moraes and ended up finishing him. So he's very durable. He's got good cardio. He's obviously skilled. He's on a 10-fight win streak. He's very, very dangerous.”

I could eat

I think is the other way around. The gnome is too small and quick. If the gnome can get inside O’Malley is done. 50-45 for the Georgian gnome

I bet on Suga.

The haters can hate all they like. They are blind and/or braindead.

Even that one guy "Sean is NOT a Star!" if you ask him what a star is, he says there's no stars except McGregor lol

That's the intelligence of the sugar haters.
I'm not a hater, I picked Sean to win by KO multiple times. People have been butt hurt because I'm picking Sean to knock Merab out in the 2nd rd. Sorry I hurt your feelings, man. Don't be so fragile and leave the name calling out of the banter. It only paints yourself in a bad light. And for God's sakes, don't be so serious.

Last edited:
I'm not a hater, I picked Sean to win by KO multiple times. Sorry I hurt your feelings, man. Don't be so fragile and leave the name calling out of the banter. It only shows your immaturity and paints yourself in a bad light. And for God's sakes, don't be so serious.

I'm not name calling. "Braindead" is my observation.

You literally said there's no stars in the UFC, and your baseline for what a star is is McGregor.

That thought process is a braindead one. Don't get upset at me because you said something stupid and someone pointed it out lol

Back