News RIP Gary Shaw of EliteXC

What was the betting line on Kimbo/Petruzelli anyways. I hadn't started gambling on MMA yet but surely Kimbo was massively favored?

Jesus christ can't believe Kimbo died in 2016. He was an OG meme.

What was the betting line on Kimbo/Petruzelli anyways. I hadn't started gambling on MMA yet but surely Kimbo was massively favored?

Jesus christ can't believe Kimbo died in 2016. He was an OG meme.

Same, I have no idea what that line was..

but I bet it was substantial.

Wasn't that great.

Kimbo Slice-510-510...-510EliteXC: Heat
Seth Petruzelli+370+370...+370
Honestly, considering that it was a literal street fighter going against a tough vet, I'd say +370 is a crazy line for Seth.

It'd be almost impossible to get a similar line nowadays for someone that's Kimbo's equivalent.

"Elite XC inked a deal to bring MMA fights to CBS for the first time in history in what was originally a multi-year contract for several events. The debut CBS card in May 2008 featured famed street brawler turned MMA enthusiast Kimbo Slice in the main event, where he scored a knockout of James Thompson that helped rocket him to even bigger stardom.

Elite XC also championed women’s MMA, especially after signing Gina Carano, who became one of the faces of the promotion with a win over Kaitlin Young on that same CBS card.

Unfortunately, only a few more Elite XC shows took place after that initial CBS debut, but the promotion was instrumental in helping to give a bigger platform to notable fighters such as Jake Shields, Cris Cyborg, and numerous others.

The promotion’s demise largely came later that same year when Slice suffered a devastating 14-second knockout to late-replacement opponent Seth Petruzelli after UFC legend Ken Shamrock suffered a cut warming up backstage for the fight.

In October 2008, Elite XC’s parent company Pro Elite filed for bankruptcy, which ultimately led to the end of the promotion after a total of 20 events.

Despite Elite XC falling, Shaw remained a stalwart in combat sports for years and continued to work in boxing, promoting fighters such as Shane Mosley, Diego Corrales, and Winky Wright."

R.I.P. He did some good

We cant deny the fights were exciting as hell.

Honestly, considering that it was a literal street fighter going against a tough vet, I'd say +370 is a crazy line for Seth.

It'd be almost impossible to get a similar line nowadays for someone that's Kimbo's equivalent.
Seth got switched to fight Kimbo on 24 hours notice, I'm surprised there was a betting line at all at that short notice.

Mixed feelings about his MMA legacy.

He did advance the ball considerably as a promoter with premium cable and network TV. EliteXC events were huge and the cards were good. He also did good work promoting guys like Nick Diaz, KJ Noons, Robbie Lawler, and Jake Shields, and making them not just regular fighters

He pioneered WMMA into the upper echelons of MMA.

But he also brought in a lot of the scummy underhanded dealings that define boxing in order to protect Kimbo. Showing the perils of hitching your wagon to the name of just a few fighters and reaffirming UFC’s bland Disney on Ice “brand first” style of promoting

Gary Shaw was the inspiration of one of the best gifs from the MMA scene

RIP
FbgPnoawcTa9y.gif

Last edited:
Back