Remembering Bradley Nowell: 24 Years Later

WaylonMercy5150

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
May 25th, 1996, the Oceanview motel in San Francisco removed the body of 28-year old musician Bradley Nowell. Dead of an apparent drug overdose just seven days after his wedding and two months before the release of Sublimes first studio LP, an album that would become a critical and commercial success.
a85a5cbb931c591a3970b7691730737a.jpg

His ashes were spread over his favorite surfing spot and his songs became must-haves at beach parties and bonfires across the globe. Known as a party band during their playing days, they were legends in the Long Beach area. His is survived by his wife, Troy, and their son Jakob.
rs-11072-sublime-624-1369419841.jpg

76dfa70fd69f421eab532bbd933f2c03.jpg

00bdebd13e516b24fb383f128183044b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Santeria was a great fucking song.

A major loss. Dude had legit GOAT potential, one of my favorite voices eva

Remember watching his Biorhythm episode on MTV, I barely had any idea of what I was watching but it still left an impact. Think it might still be on youtube somewhere

I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints and then I smoke two more? Sad he fatally injected the pots.

I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints and then I smoke two more? Sad he fatally injected the pots.
Sadly the writing was on the wall. He was is very bad shape during the recording of their major label debut. “There were times where someone had to go into the bathroom to see if Brad was still alive,” Sublime producer Paul Leary of the Butthole Surfers.

Self-titled is just a full run of greatness that perfectly captured the kind of vibe that defined those days and that culture.

I think their legacy is hurt by timing. Had they happened in the 60s that album would be considered an all-timer, not just the skater-stoner anthems it’s largely remembered as.

I love his guitar playing. He played music from the heart. He was amazing.

I love his guitar playing. He played music from the heart. He was amazing.
I was going to point his guitar playing out to the guy who said they suck. He had a very unique style that while it may not be the most complicated it is certainly full of soul and tonally correct.

I was going to point his guitar playing out to the guy who said they suck. He had a very unique style that while it may not be the most complicated it is certainly full of soul and tonally correct.
He was really good. that guy who said that sucks.

The bass and drums were solid too. What's not to like. Sublime is/was great.

My music snob friends back in my university days would bash them.
I punched my sisters boyfriend in the gut so hard he cried for talking shit about the Beatles.

People who hate on universally liked music/art or anything annoy me.

Back