Law Rare and welcome judgement: Couple awared $1 million dollars in Civil Asset Forfeiture case

It's inconsistent in my eyes because both are examples of government taking your lawful property just because they say so.
The government will argue that by not paying taxes you are receiving its benefits but not paying for it. People have to pay taxes, in order for society to function. Because you need funding for services, infrastructure, government programs, defense, schools, Emergency services etc..

If you believe taxes are illegal then that is a different argument, and a moot point in the context of this thread because when the government decides to confiscate your property for not paying taxes they have to Prove you didn't pay it. In CAF they do not have to prove anything.

Never really understood how it was ever even allowed to begin with. It's one of the reasons I wont drive around with that much cash on me. I had to deposit 2500 in the bank once and I was scared to death of getting pulled over and having it taken from me for no reason. I actually sent my wife to do it because she has friends in law enforcement and can call them to get the whole thing stopped. I've seen the cops do her favors before because of who she knows.

Never really understood how it was ever even allowed to begin with. It's one of the reasons I wont drive around with that much cash on me. I had to deposit 2500 in the bank once and I was scared to death of getting pulled over and having it taken from me for no reason. I actually sent my wife to do it because she has friends in law enforcement and can call them to get the whole thing stopped. I've seen the cops do her favors before because of who she knows.

The original idea was to confiscate money and property from drug dealers.

Anyone still want to trust the FBI? Just read this and see how they justify robbing from criminal suspects.

It’s not enough money and the cops who did it should be in prison.
Agreed
If we made it so people can sue for an egregious amount and win, the departments might actually do something about known bad apples and taking advantage of poorly thought-out laws.

Civil asset forfeiture is basically state sanctioned robbery in the majority of cases. I remember reading an article a while ago that CAF almost eclipsed criminal burglary in total cash value taken one year.

It might have started with good intentions but its abused by police to punish anyone for having more money than the police think they should have absent charges and without any consideration of reasonable explanation.

In CAF they do not have to prove anything.
CAF theft doesn't even charge a single criminal act. It's F'n LEO piracy, and the crooked scumbags don't even need a boat to steal from anyone they target.

Innocent until proven guilty is a farce - sad AF it was ever considered "legal".

Sheriff's deputy justifed the raid and theft because he says he smelled Marijuana.

----

Civil Asset Forfeiture is a very UnAmerican law.

Neither political party seems to be championing an end to this law. I would assume this would be a very good P.R. exercise for the politicians and party that champions against this law. It will win them support from the public.

I don't know for sure, but I assume Conservatives, Liberals, Libertarians, Moderates will all support ending this law. But LEO organizations and the justice system support it and politicians want to look tough on crime and want the support of the LEOs.
The last half of that last sentence is the key to understanding why this persists, IMHO. What fucked up idea that it should be even remotely possible to just take people's shit like that. It's blatant corruption.

The last half of that last sentence is the key to understanding why this persists, IMHO. What fucked up idea that it should be even remotely possible to just take people's shit like that. It's blatant corruption.
Yeah. The YouTuber often talks about how local LEOs get a cut of the profit and the bulk goes to the Feds. When the victims sue the local LEOs they say they don't have it, it's not their problem, it's with the Feds, so go sue the Feds. It's a bunch of bullshit the Local LEOs play with the victims so that they can escape responsibility.

Can be applied heavily in poaching circumstances here in Canada.

Back