• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Punching upwards when mounted

Lifeform

Donk Donkerson
Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday i was mounted in MMA by this guy, i kept pulling his head down with my right arm and punching him in the face with my left. Our arms were so tied up that i was doing as much damage punching up as he was doing punching down!

image.JPG

Maybe it is not such a bad idea after all - i hope to be the first fighter to KO their opponent when mounted!

I have a faint memory of this already happening in an old Pride.

Apparently one of two things happened
1) your partner sucks and is weak
2) your body can somehow defy physics and generate power without the use of your hips
Actually three possibilities....
3) you. Are. A. Fucking. Liar.

U can just push off up your shoulders and punch the guy, punching down you are just begging to get your arms tied up - i am gunna practice some more on Friday!

Yes, you should always try to get mounted as often as possible.

I mean, covering my face and hip escaping is literally close to a zero risk game, but i can see what you're saying TS, risk being Ko'd just so you can have .048% of Ko'ing them. Jussbleed

Best to save up the energy for elbow to knee escape, and once you have guard, you can up punch or hammer fist easier.

Just goes to show why controlling the wrists and dropping wicked elbows is superior to raining punches when mounted.

I've always wondered why, when fighter A has fighter B in his closed guard, he doesn't sit up for a hip escape and then fall backwards delivering an elbow/backfist from hell. I've done this in training and it's amazing. If I did it for real, it would probably be the hardest I've ever hit someone.

I've always wondered why, when fighter A has fighter B in his closed guard, he doesn't sit up for a hip escape and then fall backwards delivering an elbow/backfist from hell. I've done this in training and it's amazing. If I did it for real, it would probably be the hardest I've ever hit someone.

I think you don't see it because it's hard to practice in live situations. Most fighters don't even use elbow strikes and foot stomps and low knees in the clinch. I know what you're talking about and I think it's a great idea, but it's just hard to do live because you don't get the chance much.

Also, people who are good at MMA top guard usually stay low to ground and pound. They don't posture up much to pass because they are afraid of the technical standup, which limits how often someone can even go for a hip bump.

I think you don't see it because it's hard to practice in live situations. Most fighters don't even use elbow strikes and foot stomps and low knees in the clinch. I know what you're talking about and I think it's a great idea, but it's just hard to do live because you don't get the chance much.

Also, people who are good at MMA top guard usually stay low to ground and pound. They don't posture up much to pass because they are afraid of the technical standup, which limits how often someone can even go for a hip bump.

good points

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wrb
Back