Locked Prem Euro 2024 Thread v1: England V Spain It's Coming Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
@The_Renaissance Utd was mentioned in January and it seemed there was legit interest from you. Don't know why you not made another attempt. Same with Chelsea not being after him early was always beyond me. He said he only wants to join a team who's playing CL next season but sometimes you chang€ your mind.

Haven't followed the PL transfers that much before the Euro started. Any names that are confirmed to be on the radar at Old Trafford?

Yeah, as @LEWIS540 said.

CBs - Branthwaite, De Ligt are getting the most noise disappointingly. Slightly less so but still linked as Leny Yoro (who seems Madrid bound) and Goncalo Inacio.

DMs - scarily, nobody is being linked but I saw Manuel Ugarte started getting linked yday. He'd be better than Casemiro no doubt.

CF - Looks highly likely we're gonna sign Zirkzee, so another unprolific striker to rotate with Hojlund.

CBs - Branthwaite, De Ligt are getting the most noise disappointingly. Slightly less so but still linked as Leny Yoro (who seems Madrid bound) and Goncalo Inacio.
Real is also linked with Calafiori incase they dont get Yoro (maybe get him even if Yoro joins. Nacho is leaving, Alaba coming back from ACL tear missed 32 games and he is 32. Rafa Marin joined Napoli, Real has buyback clause).
Would not suprise me if Real's cb's in 2-3 years are Yoro, Calafiori, Militao and Marin.

Yeah, as @LEWIS540 said.

DMs - scarily, nobody is being linked but I saw Manuel Ugarte started getting linked yday. He'd be better than Casemiro no doubt.

CF - Looks highly likely we're gonna sign Zirkzee, so another unprolific striker to rotate with Hojlund.

All seem like transfers to bulk up the squad and fight for top 4 as opposed to close the gap with City.

Tbf, it is needed, and by all accounts we're handcuffed financially like a lot of clubs except Chelsea and City who can do as they please, seemingly.

Think we're relying on getting rid of a few players to bolster the coffers, but Casemiro, Sancho, Greenwood and Antony are all a really hard sell, unless we can jump on the Saudi train. Be lucky to get 100m for the lot which is madness when you consider we spunked 220m on 3 of them, and the other was touted as a 100m player all in the last couple of years.

I think they'd sell Rashford if someone came in with a big offer.

Guessing another year of making do with Maguire and McTomminay is on the cards.

Gallagher was shocking last night so not hard to look better than him. Trent isn't a CM.

Mainoo was getting pushed off the ball easily against Serbia when he came on. He's better on the ball than Gallagher and the way Slovenia played suited him but against a decent side, Southgate will start Gallagher for his physicality and ball winning.

Wharton is the one who should be starting next to Rice but that won't happen. He's strong, good on the ball and a good ball winner.

So you agree he's a better option than 2 guys, but not the guy you barely knew existed a month a go, but would have sacrificed him from the squad for a guy who doesn't even play in that position?

I know you Newcastle boys hate United, but come on........might as well say Sean Longstaff would be a better option.

So you agree he's a better option than 2 guys, but not the guy you barely knew existed a month a go, but would have sacrificed him from the squad for a guy who doesn't even play in that position?

I know you Newcastle boys hate United, but come on........might as well say Sean Longstaff would be a better option.

We were looking at Wharton when he was at Blackburn, mate. Howe is a massive fan and wanted to sign him. We tried to free up the funds to sign him in January but Almiron wouldn't go to Saudi Arabia when the fee was agreed. We were trying to get some money to sign Wharton before Palace did.

Mainoo wouldn't be getting the push he is if he didn't play for Man U. He looked good against Slovenia last night but he was getting bullied against Serbia. Trent, Gallagher, and Mainoo take your pick, not bothered. They will all get exposed in one way or another. If you're asking who I think is a better choice to play a double pivot with Rice, it's Wharton, but he won't get the chance, so it doesn't matter.

Southgate should try something different but I doubt he will. He may get pressured into starting Mainoo, but he will most likely stick with Gallagher. The Mainoo hype is laughable at this point; he looked good against Slovenia, has massive potential, and might become a top player, but he's nowhere near it yet.

Just for comparison, this is him against Gallagher. A year's worth of data. Source fbref.com

xKsuwBB.png

We were looking at Wharton when he was at Blackburn, mate. Howe is a massive fan and wanted to sign him. We tried to free up the funds to sign him in January but Almiron wouldn't go to Saudi Arabia when the fee was agreed. We were trying to get some money to sign Wharton before Palace did.

Mainoo wouldn't be getting the push he is if he didn't play for Man U. He looked good against Slovenia last night but he was getting bullied against Serbia. Trent, Gallagher, and Mainoo take your pick, not bothered. They will all get exposed in one way or another. If you're asking who I think is a better choice to play a double pivot with Rice, it's Wharton, but he won't get the chance, so it doesn't matter.

Southgate should try something different but I doubt he will. He may get pressured into starting Mainoo, but he will most likely stick with Gallagher. The Mainoo hype is laughable at this point; he looked good against Slovenia, has massive potential, and might become a top player, but he's nowhere near it yet.

Just for comparison, this is him against Gallagher. A year's worth of data. Source fbref.com

xKsuwBB.png
In all fairness while Mainoo might be hyped too much due to being a United player, you are comparing 24 year old player vs 18 year old. Not exactly fair is it.
Should compare these two when both were 18 (and even then Gallagher probably was not playing in EPL on regular basis)

In all fairness while Mainoo might be hyped too much due to being a United player, you are comparing 24 year old player vs 18 year old. Not exactly fair is it.
Should compare these two when both were 18 (and even then Gallagher probably was not playing in EPL on regular basis)

I'm not denying Mainoo will be better than Gallagher, but playing players on potential in a knockout tournament doesn't make sense. I honestly don't care who starts in there, it could be Trent, Gallagher, or Mainoo, who cares?

I think Wharton is better suited to the double pivot than them but it doesn't matter; he won't get any minutes. It should be Bellingham as the other CM and Foden as the 10 but we know Southgate hasn't got the balls for that. He wants to play two sitting CMs and was whingeing that there is no replacement for Kalphin Phillips the other day, FFS :rolleyes:

The Mainoo hype is crazy. It's Rashford all over again and it's taken them 9 seasons to finally realise that Rashford is nowhere near the player they hyped him up to be.

xKsuwBB.png

images

Again you're anti-United bias, is clear.

Over-hyped because he's at United? Probably.

Over downplayed by you because he plays for United? Definitely.

I actually said pre-tournament England's lack of an obvious CM to play alongside Rice was glaring.

You are claiming to have studied Wharton's 20 games in the Prem in depth, or are you just jumping on his bandwagon because you don't like United and want to downplay Mainoo?

Like all of us football fans, I'm willing to bet you're as clueless as the rest of us when it comes down to it.

I'm not denying Mainoo will be better than Gallagher, but playing players on potential in a knockout tournament doesn't make sense. I honestly don't care who starts in there, it could be Trent, Gallagher, or Mainoo, who cares?

I think Wharton is better suited to the double pivot than them but it doesn't matter; he won't get any minutes. It should be Bellingham as the other CM and Foden as the 10 but we know Southgate hasn't got the balls for that. He wants to play two sitting CMs and was whingeing that there is no replacement for Kalphin Phillips the other day, FFS :rolleyes:

The Mainoo hype is crazy. It's Rashford all over again and it's taken them 9 seasons to finally realise that Rashford is nowhere near the player they hyped him up to be.
What Southgate needs to do is kidnap Kroos, make him play for England and then fool everyone (UEFA, players, fans) that its Gallagher starting the game.

Again you're anti-United bias, is clear.

And your Man U glasses are firmly glued to your head.

<Fedor23>

When I found out we were looking at Wharton, I watched him play. It's normal. He's better than people realise and would be a good option as a double pivot. That's my opinion.

I watched Tonali play when I found out we were in for him despite not knowing anything about him so no, I don't claim to know everything about players.

I actually said pre-tournament England's lack of an obvious CM to play alongside Rice was glaring.

So did everybody, it's hardly a revelation.
You are claiming to have studied Wharton's 20 games in the Prem in depth

Now you're just making shit up, mate. Show me where I claimed to have watched Wharton's 20 games in the prem in depth? I said I've watched him play, and I have, and he would be a good option, but it doesn't matter because he won't get a chance. I doubt he even has 20 games in the PL

Over-hyped because he's at United? Probably.

So we at least agree on something :rolleyes:.

What Southgate needs to do is kidnap Kroos, make him play for England and then fool everyone (UEFA, players, fans) that its Gallagher starting the game.

Now you're talking. Joe Hart did call him Tony Hughes the other day so that sounds like an English name 😁

And your Man U glasses are firmly glued to your head.

<Fedor23>

When I found out we were looking at Wharton, I watched him play. It's normal. He's better than people realise and would be a good option as a double pivot. That's my opinion.

I watched Tonali play when I found out we were in for him despite not knowing anything about him so no, I don't claim to know everything about players.

So did everybody, it's hardly a revelation.

Now you're just making shit up, mate. Show me where I claimed to have watched Wharton's 20 games in the prem in depth? I said I've watched him play, and I have, and he would be a good option, but it doesn't matter because he won't get a chance. I doubt he even has 20 games in the PL

So we at least agree on something :rolleyes:.

You're literally saying the guy who you doubt even has 20 Prem games to his name, and who you've admittedly barely seen play, should be starting for England.

Like the stereotypical fat man down the pub who knows far more than the manager.........though tbf, in this case with Southgate, you probably have a point.

@BroRogan @UVee @650lb Sumo

gf-24-poster.png
Are you going? Apparently attendance is about 200,000 and tickets start at £360.

Not my idea of fun but people obviously have an instinct to go and gather in open spaces in summer, it goes back to the old days when you would live in a little hamlet with a small number of people, low population density, slow and expensive communication and transport, and fairs, markets, travelling entertainers and salesmen etc. were the only way to have those things. With modern technology it's redundant but we still have the instinct. I think it used to be important for meeting your future spouse as well, until recently people would hook up at this kind of event but with how distorted the dating market is now there's probably less of that.

I would probably go to the Circus & Theatre Stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back