Crime Paramilitary gangs in Brazil torch more than 35 buses in Rio de Janeiro attacks

Let these dudes loose.

bope-batallon-ops-policiales-especiais-brazil-2-mens-t-shirt.jpg
They would probably help the militias to burn more buses lol.

The State Police, of which BOPE is part, is very close to the militias. Many of the militia members have security backgrounds (most are former or even active police, military, firefighters and prison guards).

Let these dudes loose.

bope-batallon-ops-policiales-especiais-brazil-2-mens-t-shirt.jpg

Brazil: at least 45 killed in string of police operations in three states
This article is more than 2 months old
Ten people were killed in Rio favela and 19 people reportedly died in state of Bahia, while death toll rose to 16 in São Paulo region

At least 45 people have been killed in a string of police operations across three Brazilian states, in a particularly bloody week even for Brazil – a country notorious for its police violence.

Ten people were killed during an operation by civil and military police against drug traffickers into the Complexo da Penha favela in Rio de Janeiro on Wednesday morning, with residents saying that heavy gunfire began at 3am.

In the north-eastern state of Bahia, 19 people are reported to have died between Friday and Monday in clashes with the military police in the state capital, Salvador, and nearby cities of Camaçari and Itatim.

Bahia and Rio de Janeiro are home to Brazil’s second and third most deadly police forces, according to the Brazilian Forum on Public Safety.

Meanwhile, state authorities in São Paulo confirmed on Wednesday that the death toll from an ongoing police operation in the Baixada Santista region has risen to 16, making this one of the deadliest operations ever carried out by the São Paulo police.

Dubbed Operation Shield, the deployment of some 600 police officers was prompted by the killing last Thursday of a police officer in Guarujá. A final suspect of being involved in the death of Patrick Bastos Reis, a member of the military police’s Rota tactical unit, was arrested early on Wednesday. Police say they have arrested 58 people so far and seized 400 kilos of narcotics, as well as 18 weapons.

Human rights organisations have denounced the actions of the police in the Baixada Santista as a revenge-motivated massacre, while residents have reported threats and cases of torture.

“What happened in Guarujá was a massacre. The deaths were deliberate. […] The state of São Paulo must contain this wave of violence,” Dimitri Sales, president of the state council on the defence of human rights (Condepe), told the broadcaster GloboNews.

The state governor, Tarcísio de Freitas, has defended the police, saying they acted in response to attacks from criminals and dismissing reports of abuses as a “narrative”. Operation Shield, ostensibly a push to fight drug trafficking in the region, is due to last until the end of August.

The authorities’ claim that all the victims are suspected criminals who died in clashes with the police has been disputed by human rights and security experts, who demand that the police’s actions be carefully scrutinised.

“It is extremely concerning that the governor and security secretary declare that there were no [human rights] abuses before an investigation is even held … [This] is effectively an endorsement of arbitrary practices,” said Oscar Vilhena, a lawyer and member of the Arns Commission, a human rights organisation.

Brazil’s state military police forces are notoriously violent, and much deadlier than their civilian counterparts. The return to power in January of Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva had sparked hope of a reform, but public security experts say a bill recently approved by a senate committee will fail to address crucial public security issues, such as police body cameras.

In São Paulo, the use of body-cams by the military police has been widely credited with helping reduce violence committed by and against the force. But killings by the São Paulo police have increased under Freitas, an ally of former president Jair Bolsonaro who embraces a hardline security discourse and has questioned the body-cam policy.

The latest killings could mark an “inflection point” for public security in Brazil’s largest state, according to David Marques, project coordinator at the Brazilian Forum on Public Safety. “This change is linked to a political discourse that values [violence], that says police should use violence to control violence and organised crime,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/02/brazil-police-killings-bahia

- I'm a former member of Brazils most glamorous elite force. I will answer the call of phali.. i mean combat.

Anyone care to explain to this pleb why Brazil has such a bad gangs and guns problem?
Is it just a product of extreme poverty or are there unique reasons?
Brazil produces a lot of wealth. It is a drop dead gorgeous country geographically. It's huge. It has a ton of natural resources. Unbelievable beaches. Some of the hottest women in the world.

Seems to me like Brazil has all the makings to be an amazing country, and an economic powerhouse. But it isn't. Why?

The total dishonesty and thievery towards both own people + gringos, the high cost of living if you want to have the same quality of life, the lack of infrastructure, corruption and the rampant crime is why Brazil isn't a powerhouse.

Brazil isn't a racist country but an extremely classicist country. Rich people hate the poor and the middle class, and own the majority of the wealth like in every country. I have rarely seen a place where people look down so much on poor people as in Brazil, and then again, the longer I lived there, the more I understood. The minimum wages are unliveable (equivalent to 225 bucks now), but in most cities you can barely find a place for that money, and food prices have risen drastically. So a lot of people have turned to crime, prostitution or scamming people. The poor always have an excuse to scam people or commit crimes but at the end of the day it gets exhausting.

Nearly everything in Brazil is or overpriced (besides hookers and drugs), a scam, or bureaucracy or a mix of everything.
Every day I used to get like 10 messages from companies saying that I should pay this or this bill with a link, even when I never contacted or contracted that company. Every day I got messages from banks saying that my loan was approved. Monthly I got messages that someone kidnapped my mother or my niece (who didn't live in Brazil) and were holding them ransom unless I paid x amount through pix (the Brazilian equivalent of cashapp). You hire a contractor for x amount to fix something, afterwards he's mad because he wants more even though he did less than promised.

Import taxes make sure the people who are already piss poor get nothing nice. Many products get taxed up to 100%, but with shipping and handling it often becomes 200%. That means a shitty phone that costs 100 bucks in the USA costs 300 bucks in Brazil. Nearly everything produced local is made out of such bad quality and comes with a warranty of 6 months.

Corruption is rampant, and it's not what but who you know. Want to have something done fast. Pay someone under the table. Some people get away with murder because they know the right people.

Plenty of companies have government officials as part of the board who gladly plunder them, the president Lula was sentenced to jail for stealing billions before being liberated by his friends of the STF, and is now president again. He also has the same lawyer and accountant as the PCC which is the world's largest drug cartel.

The drug cartels have people everywhere, from government to industries and have more power, more resources than the government or the army. Plenty of cops work for the drug cartels. Some cops offer security services to the cartels as often they can get more for working 1 day with the cartel than 1 month with the police.

People in some favelas live on eggshells, gangs force kids in prostitution or force someone's daughter, sister into dating a gang member/leader. If she refuses, she gets tortured to death.

The total dishonesty and thievery towards both own people + gringos, the high cost of living if you want to have the same quality of life, the lack of infrastructure, corruption and the rampant crime is why Brazil isn't a powerhouse.

Brazil isn't a racist country but an extremely classicist country. Rich people hate the poor and the middle class, and own the majority of the wealth like in every country. I have rarely seen a place where people look down so much on poor people as in Brazil, and then again, the longer I lived there, the more I understood. The minimum wages are unliveable (equivalent to 225 bucks now), but in most cities you can barely find a place for that money, and food prices have risen drastically. So a lot of people have turned to crime, prostitution or scamming people. The poor always have an excuse to scam people or commit crimes but at the end of the day it gets exhausting.

Nearly everything in Brazil is or overpriced (besides hookers and drugs), a scam, or bureaucracy or a mix of everything.
Every day I used to get like 10 messages from companies saying that I should pay this or this bill with a link, even when I never contacted or contracted that company. Every day I got messages from banks saying that my loan was approved. Monthly I got messages that someone kidnapped my mother or my niece (who didn't live in Brazil) and were holding them ransom unless I paid x amount through pix (the Brazilian equivalent of cashapp). You hire a contractor for x amount to fix something, afterwards he's mad because he wants more even though he did less than promised.

Import taxes make sure the people who are already piss poor get nothing nice. Many products get taxed up to 100%, but with shipping and handling it often becomes 200%. That means a shitty phone that costs 100 bucks in the USA costs 300 bucks in Brazil. Nearly everything produced local is made out of such bad quality and comes with a warranty of 6 months.

Corruption is rampant, and it's not what but who you know. Want to have something done fast. Pay someone under the table. Some people get away with murder because they know the right people.

Plenty of companies have government officials as part of the board who gladly plunder them, the president Lula was sentenced to jail for stealing billions before being liberated by his friends of the STF, and is now president again. He also has the same lawyer and accountant as the PCC which is the world's largest drug cartel.

The drug cartels have people everywhere, from government to industries and have more power, more resources than the government or the army. Plenty of cops work for the drug cartels. Some cops offer security services to the cartels as often they can get more for working 1 day with the cartel than 1 month with the police.

People in some favelas live on eggshells, gangs force kids in prostitution or force someone's daughter, sister into dating a gang member/leader. If she refuses, she gets tortured to death.

- Thats a thing our stupid actors and artists never talk about.

- Thats a thing our stupid actors and artists never talk about.

I know, I worked with some very famous rap artists and they're all ACAB but none of them live in a favela... very easy to talk that talk then, and when you speak about this to them they're just looking the other way... pure hypocrisy

I know, I worked with some very famous rap artists and they're all ACAB but none of them live in a favela... very easy to talk that talk then, and when you speak about this to them they're just looking the other way... pure hypocrisy

- On the other hand, famous soccer players, and even actors doenst have problem playng soccer in a favela.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back